Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #58606
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Yep, GSmarks cooler is the one I have and can recommend it beyond any doubt, it is the reason I will go leaner on the jets now.

15/40 is on the cards also and I can carry the 14 for a quick change in the dune country, grunt is not an issue and when fully loaded it walks up the sandhills better than empty.

I noticed my tappets rattling the last 500k coming home, I adjusted them before I left but that low gearing cycled the engine a lot further from 3550klms to 4200klms and all at higher rpm so tall gearing for me in future.

Cheers
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
Kenno,
Thanks a lot for that post. I am running 15/48 which I think is very close to your ratio and I'm getting ready to do 3,000-3500 around Lake Victoria. I am settled to purchase the oiler cooler to keep my temps down as I suspect I'll have warm days and doing a decent bit of highway riding at 80-100km. Interesting observation about your air filter. I need to take a closer observation of my km/liter and start charting that.

Do you have Gone14s's oil cooler installed? or something custom?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #58607
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Running a D606 130/90-18 is perfect, you may find a better wearing tyre though, this is just about rooted at 4000k if i needed it for mud.
Good in sand though.
Here is that tyre with 14/45 gearing, started off in 2nd then clicked 3rd about 1/3rd the way up, also an interesting study for the off topic COG fraternity.
Engine is bog stock with Daves full mods and XR600 muffler because it sounds nice and quiet and doesn't give me a headache on the long hauls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
I'm curious if there is a generally understood best tire size given other variables? I have a 15/48 sprocket setup. (decided against the NX gears) I currently have a ginormous rear Dunlop 908 tire. I forget the exact size and I'm to lazy to run outside and read the tire. It's definitely to wide for my needs and while I appreciate the grip, I'm thinking I would quickly find more appreciate in the weight savings and fuel savings.

Thoughts? Advice?

- Doing my best to stir the hornets' nest

PS. I found NASA's response to our CG discussion...
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/cg.html
I have not had calculus since high school, so I am clueless.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #58608
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
I have two XR650L questions for you guys:
  1. Can you recommend a cheap-but-good bike stand? (I am an apartment-dweller and my bike's kept outdoors in a parking lot, so I need to be able to schlepp it out for maintenance) Is this good enough?

2. My bike's shoes are balding, any recommendation for a good set of 50/50 tires (I would err on the side of durable street-focused above dirt-centric, if I'm going to be honest)
Thanks in advance!
get one form harbor freight tools..... if you find a coupon in one of the moto mags you can get them for 30 dollars and they work good. Get the lift kind that you step on the lever and lifts the bike...
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #58609
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrover View Post
Does anyone know of any kind of Keyless start systems that can be used or modified for the Xr650l? Thanks
Don't know the brands , but I've seen bike alarm systems with remote start and there are automotive ones as well.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #58610
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
  1. Can you recommend a cheap-but-good bike stand? (I am an apartment-dweller and my bike's kept outdoors in a parking lot, so I need to be able to schlepp it out for maintenance) Is this good enough?

2. My bike's shoes are balding, any recommendation for a good set of 50/50 tires (I would err on the side of durable street-focused above dirt-centric, if I'm going to be honest)
Thanks in advance!
I like my Tusk Adjustable Lift Stand. It's portable, stable, and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...erm=tusk+stand

I've used this bike stand to change front tires and service the forks on my XR650L and CRF250X. This bike stand worked well when I removed, and greased the lower shock linkage on my CRF250X. I also used this stand when I installed the lowering link on my XR650L and set the race sag for my shock absorber.

If you're not riding in mud, you might want to try the Kenda K270, Shinko SR244, or Michelin T63 tires.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #58611
sportbiker929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The Lift stand is way easier, especially in a tight space. Also the Pirelli MT-90 is a great Tire. 150/70-18 fits in the rear nicely.

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

95 XR650L, Mikuni Pumper, Yosh, Baja Designs race Light, Pro tapers, Cycra Pro Bends, Magura 1/4 turn, Pirelli MT90s.

sportbiker929 screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:07 AM
sportbiker929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #58612
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 233
Canyonlands

Went out to Cayonlands, over Elephant hill out to the confluence overlook, road out thru Beef Basin. Felt like I was on another planet.

rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #58613
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Canyonlands

Wow, ride looks like fun. Curious how light you were able to pack and what big things you included such as bag/tent/dinner/water/beer and what kind of range you had.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #58614
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Wow, ride looks like fun. Curious how light you were able to pack and what big things you included such as bag/tent/dinner/water/beer and what kind of range you had.

RZ Rob
I've worked on compressing my "kit" and try to pack light. Unfortunetly that means not bringing beer. I do bring some comfort items, a short half foam pad and a full length air pad, small GSI camp table, and
a camp chair that works with the air pad, some speakers for music that connect to my phone. Other than that water is the biggest concern.

If I really wanted to go light I could get leave those behind and have no top bag at all.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #58615
sportbiker929
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Thats awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrittner View Post
Went out to Cayonlands, over Elephant hill out to the confluence overlook, road out thru Beef Basin. Felt like I was on another planet.

95 XR650L, Mikuni Pumper, Yosh, Baja Designs race Light, Pro tapers, Cycra Pro Bends, Magura 1/4 turn, Pirelli MT90s.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #58616
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrover View Post
Does anyone know of any kind of Keyless start systems that can be used or modified for the Xr650l? Thanks
Any of the autostart and alarm systems i`ve installed will shut down/time out in under 30 minutes,,,,,,,,so i`d say no,,that i`ve seen anyway..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #58617
sportbiker929
Gnarly Adventurer

can you put coordinates of that place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrittner View Post

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #58618
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Any of the autostart and alarm systems i`ve installed will shut down/time out in under 30 minutes,,,,,,,,so i`d say no,,that i`ve seen anyway..

B

yeah tahts for the alarm systems . Looks like they make em just for ignition http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/KEYL...RCYCLE-PG1.htm

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #58619
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
out riding around on the Cleghorn Road bike handled well with the Dunlop D606 wheels on.

Untitled by Stiggs13, on Flickr

stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #58620
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,654
Did 130 miles yesterday and was home by 11. For Herlong to Reno. I followed a roadbook I made on rally navigator website. No pics or vid. I was on a mission.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote