Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #58636
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Is "45 deg" a typo?
Just trying to get him past the decomp. The clueless tend to over-analyze.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #58637
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Just trying to get him past the decomp. The clueless tend to over-analyze.
Me thinks 45 deg. is too much.
I'll need to check but I think the cam is only round for about 35 deg. ATDC.
I usually recommend 10 to 15 deg or in the area of the "T".
Have you tried 45 deg. ATDC on your bike when setting the valves?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #58638
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Put on the FMF powercore not to long ago. A smiley icon can't express the frustration I had installing it that's as close as I can get. But anyways its on and sounds great. now onto the next thing. Tires. I was recommended to check out the avons and saw the gripster. Anyone have any experience with them? Oh and pics are coming soon. Even though I read how to load them on here I'm still
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #58639
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatime View Post
Put on the FMF powercore not to long ago. A smiley icon can't express the frustration I had installing it
Do tell

My only issue is the burnt right leg in all my pants - and that's with the Bomb guard.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #58640
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
Thank you for finally breaking your silence on this issue. I, too, have gritted my teeth whenever the claim is made.

I find it totally true that standing results in superior stability and reduced risk of get-offs/yard sales but as you so eloquently point out, doing so DOES NOT lower any centers of mass - in fact it only raises them. I agree, standing separates person from machine, allowing independent jockeying and shock absorption. It also allows the bike to move with less linear and rotational inertia, as you are no longer attached to it rigidly. This means it can move and rotate quicker as the trail rises, falls, and changes direction. The analogy of two weights connected by rubber bands is quite good. The weights can move and twist faster individually than if they were glued together.

I will always recommend standing to any dirt biker or mountain biker, but whomever says that it lowers COG is making a false assumption or disseminating bad BS.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Way late to this party, but in the case of slow speed damping (g-out) standing will compress the suspension less because you will absorb some of the energy. In a high speed damping situation, like hitting a pothole, it won't make any difference what you do, at least to the bike, now as to how your feet or ass will feel, I can't say.

mendoteach screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 10:07 PM
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #58641
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
All look good. I'm putting it back together and running it.
My only concern running an engine like that is if whatever is making the noise breaks, it could possibly lock up the engine and consequently the rear wheel. Depending on where you are riding if/when it goes, that could be bad, very bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Me thinks 45 deg. is too much.
I'll need to check but I think the cam is only round for about 35 deg. ATDC.
I usually recommend 10 to 15 deg or in the area of the "T".
Have you tried 45 deg. ATDC on your bike when setting the valves?
That would be fairly simple to determine(close enough) by using the ratchet handle as a dial indicator(for the amount of degrees) and watching the valves as you rotate the crank.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #58642
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7XW View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a lowering link again but thought there were some issues with it affecting the stock suspension. What are downsides of installing the lowering link? Will it do damage to anything? It's either that or cut the seat down. I'm tired of not being able to touch the damn ground. Thanks.
I think different people have different results depending on weight and so on. I removed the one I installed because it allowed the rear tire to rub the fender. I weigh 250-55. I'm 6'00" so I reach OK and with the stock link I never bottom out.

Many here seem to be very happy with lowering links.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #58643
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
I think different people have different results depending on weight and so on. I removed the one I installed because it allowed the rear tire to rub the fender. I weigh 250-55. I'm 6'00" so I reach OK and with the stock link I never bottom out.

Many here seem to be very happy with lowering links.
This is something I've wondered about. When you see these streetbikes lowered 4 or 5 inches with a lowering link , if they had 5 inches of travel before , but now they have no clearance , would a hard hit or a heavy passenger bottom and lockup the wheel? If you measure the specified rear travel length up from the top of the rear tire towards the fender on an XRL , there's not much space left.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #58644
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I've given my addiction of cruising on advrider a break for the last month or so while I finished a college program and took care of some career change details... Thankfully that's all over now.

Here's some pics of a recent trip... 3 XRL's... Camping and riding in/around Hot Springs, NC. We stayed at a campground downtown... Right on the French Broad River.

Day 1 - We cut out and spent most of the day on fire roads... The climax of the day was stopping at the Rich Mountain Firetower for a beer.

360 degree view from the top...

Day 2 - The perfect mix of a true dual sport ride... Started out on scenic 2-lane country roads that turned to gravel forest roads that turned to rough boulder-strewn 4-wheeler trails. We even had to jump on the interstate to complete our route. My buddy broke his rear brake caliper attempting a tough hill climb... No beers were harmed though. He had to ride it 20 miles back to camp on just his front brakes!

Lunch? Warmed bean and rice burritos courtesy of the exhaust!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #58645
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
I've stayed at that campground in Hot Springs,........It's where we held the Eastern Rendezvous for a few years, some years back. That water makes for some good sleeping after 10-12 beers The Rooster and the Train?......not so much.

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #58646
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Two Questions:

1: Anyone used Golden Tyre rubber (from Italy)? Thoughts?

2: Anyone ever seen summer, waterproof gloves?

3: Any XR riders try the new Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags? I'm purchasing in the next two days. I had been settled on the Expedition Dry, but just seen this new model. Nearly double the size. Wondering if it's overkill.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #58647
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
I've given my addiction of cruising on advrider a break for the last month or so while I finished a college program and took care of some career change details... Thankfully that's all over now.

Here's some pics of a recent trip... 3 XRL's... Camping and riding in/around Hot Springs, NC. We stayed at a campground downtown... Right on the French Broad River.
Looks like a blast (except for the brake), glad summer is here
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #58648
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post

2: Anyone ever seen summer, waterproof gloves?
I think the best thing I've heard for summer water proof gloves was a pair of rubber kitchen cloves used as rain covers for your regular gloves. But if it's very warm your hands will sweat just as much as get wet without them. When it's warm I usually ride with MX gloves and they don't stay wet very long after it's done raining, so I don't worry about getting my hands wet. When it's cold enough that I need to keep my hands warm, then the heavier waterproof gloves work fine for me. I would think if you used a nice mesh summer glove they would dry out rather quickly.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #58649
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

I'm also about to get one of these. Should I get the manual or automatic by-pass valve? I like auto, but I also like less gadgets to possibly break.

zulusafari screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 10:29 AM
zulusafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #58650
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
I think the best thing I've heard for summer water proof gloves was a pair of rubber kitchen cloves used as rain covers for your regular gloves. But if it's very warm your hands will sweat just as much as get wet without them. When it's warm I usually ride with MX gloves and they don't stay wet very long after it's done raining, so I don't worry about getting my hands wet. When it's cold enough that I need to keep my hands warm, then the heavier waterproof gloves work fine for me. I would think if you used a nice mesh summer glove they would dry out rather quickly.
Thanks Whitmore for the advice. I've heard of the kitchen glove option. It will likely be pretty warm where I'm riding later this year for a few weeks. I have a few different kind of gloves, but they are all pretty light weight, basic MX gloves. I'd like to get one set of gloves that cover the wrist. I think I'll use those regularly (non winter/water) and just carry a really light pair of MX as backup if the others get soaked on the trip.