Oddometer: 650
Crick Crossing

[IMG][/IMG]
Hazman27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #58863
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Very nice bike Hazman. Makes me want to consider going all black on my bike...

How's the handling off the pavement with the wide front tire?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #58864
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Thats one good lookin ride Hazman. Any info on the wheels? Super moto kit or something you put together yourself? Did you keep the stock calipers? I was considering doing something with my wheels maybe next winter since I rarely (if ever) hit the trails and mostly ride backroads etc.

By the way since we're on the topic of wheels, anyone tried this plastidip stuff? I was thinking about coating my rims with it purely for cosmetic reasons.

http://www.plastidip.com/

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #58865
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Hey Fritz , what's the coating on your engine cases and how was it applied ?

Its a PTFE coating. These guys applied it: http://www.polydyn.com/intake_manifolds.htm Bead blast first, then phosphate, then the PTFE coating. And it's available in several colors. This coating is good on guns as well. These guys do header coatings too.

I am experimenting with their coatings on several items. Mainly because here on the Gulf Coast corrosion is a problem especially when you ride on the beach a lot like me. The only one I can 100 % recommend is PTFE coating axles. With these coatings the axle slides right out and right back in. These coatings have excellent corrosion resistance. Additionally, anything coated is a snap to dissemble and reassemble. Nothing sticks to the coating, just like a non stick fry pan.

I hope something goes wrong with the carb on my Husky so I can tear it down and see how the coatings are holding up. After a year or so no need. I had some sprockets coated but I don't think I'll be able to tell if there is any improvement in their life vs an uncoated sprocket. there is just to many variables in operation.

When new:

And some three years later. I liked this coating because it just looks so OEM. No mas corrosion on the retainer or coated countershaft sprocket:

Newly coated:

Recent photo of clutch side:

You can see just a trace of the coating in the teeth. The coating starts with a phosphate coating first, then the PTFE. The PTFE actually gets into the tiny voids between the alloy crystals.

I can't say the coating improved the life of this countershaft sprocket, but it sure didn't hurt it; but note the absents of corrosion:

Axle:

I had my wheels relaced a while ago with stainless spokes. The old spokes started to break because they rusted away! I got the hubs coated, the cool thing here is that they are super easy to clean, nothing sticks to the coating.

This is a second axle set I had coated, note the contrasting axle and adjuster colors. OOOO ah:

Experiment in progress:

All steel items in my 86 Husky rear linkage I had coated:

Axles, spacers, brake mount bolts, all coated:

Same in back plus the drum brakes parts, backing plate and cams:

The carb, now this should be the nuts. No sorry ethanol sticking to my carb. Every parts coated, none lost:

Need to change jets? Come on in!:

Need to check the piston, bring a lantern:

This is pretty slick too:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 10:35 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #58866
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Very nice bike Hazman. Makes me want to consider going all black on my bike...

How's the handling off the pavement with the wide front tire?
I normally steer with the rear, my style of riding. Point and shoot. The fat front does well in the loose loam, sand bearm, kinda floats instead of cutting in. I prefer the lower stance, gets me in to the turn earlier, then throttle out. I do ride 60% dirt and mud., 40% commute (40 miles daily) hence the Shinko 705's. Tire shop, know your options before doing the super motard thing. The rims I run are 17's and the fronts are more rare in the width I keep.
Hazman27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #58867
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Great picture! Looks like a marketing shot for Honda... All it needs is a catchy tag line.
On the prowl.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #58868
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Its a PTFE coating. These guys applied it: http://www.polydyn.com/intake_manifolds.htm Bead blast first, then phosphate, then the PTFE coating. And it's available in several colors. This coating is good on guns as well. These guys do header coatings too.

I am experimenting with their coatings on several items. Mainly because here on the Gulf Coast corrosion is a problem especially when you ride on the beach a lot like me. The only one I can 100 % recommend is PTFE coating axles. With these coatings the axle slides right out and right back in. These coatings have excellent corrosion resistance. Additionally, anything coated is a snap to dissemble and reassemble. Nothing sticks to the coating, just like a non stick fry pan.

I hope something goes wrong with the carb on my Husky so I can tear it down and see how the coatings are holding up. After a year or so no need. I had some sprockets coated but I don't think I'll be able to tell if there is any improvement in their life vs an uncoated sprocket. there is just to many variables in operation.

When new:

And some three years later. I liked this coating because it just looks so OEM. No mas corrosion on the retainer or coated countershaft sprocket:

Newly coated:

Recent photo of clutch side:

You can see just a trace of the coating in the teeth. The coating starts with a phosphate coating first, then the PTFE. The PTFE actually gets into the tiny voids between the alloy crystals.

I can't say the coating improved the life of this countershaft sprocket, but it sure didn't hurt it; but note the absents of corrosion:

Axle:

I had my wheels relaced a while ago with stainless spokes. The old spokes started to break because they rusted away! I got the hubs coated, the cool thing here is that they are super easy to clean, nothing sticks to the coating.

This is a second axle set I had coated, note the contrasting axle and adjuster colors. OOOO ah:

Experiment in progress:

All steel items in my 86 Husky rear linkage I had coated:

Axles, spacers, brake mount bolts, all coated:

Same in back plus the drum brakes parts, backing plate and cams:

The carb, now this should be the nuts. No sorry ethanol sticking to my carb. Every parts coated, none lost:

Need to change jets? Come on in!:

Need to check the piston, bring a lantern:

This is pretty slick too:
That's not Mrs. Fritz. What I was thinking about with the coating was my buddies BST40 carb slide and guides on his , dare I say it , DR650. They tend to wear. Thanx.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #58869
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
On the prowl.
Clever!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #58870
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I'd like to coat that with my own PTFE....

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #58871
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

You know what really burns my pants?

I've like never had this problem before, but in the last couple years I noticed I'm continually burning my pants on my XRL & my riding gear on my CRF. It's really starting to piss me off.

Can anyone suggest a dainty pipe guard that really works - and looks "factory"?

RZ Rob

Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #58872
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I've like never had this problem before, but in the last couple years I noticed I'm continually burning my pants on my XRL & my riding gear on my CRF. It's really starting to piss me off.

RZ Rob

I have never had a problem with that before this year. I rode out to the Honda shop during lunch one day and got back to work... sitting in a meeting and noticed that the cuff of my pants was fried! Same burn that you have on yours!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #58873
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:

Well that's the first skidmark I've seen at the bottom of a pair of pants.. Most seem to surface a little higher and more central to the ass cheeks... Particularly after being dared to hit a big jump, climb a waay too steep hill, etc.!!

Also... Is that Tupac keeping an eye on your bike for you??
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #58874
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

We know how to party

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Well that's the first skidmark I've seen at the bottom of a pair of pants.. Most seem to surface a little higher and more central to the ass cheeks... Particularly after being dared to hit a big jump, climb a waay too steep hill, etc.!!

Also... Is that Tupac keeping an eye on your bike for you??
No I dared a whiff and it's burned. Thought it might be dog crap myself.

Yep, that's Tupac. You know us Californian's

RZ Rob

Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #58875
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:

RZ Rob
I like my DRC Heat Shield.

http://www.drcproducts.com/exhaust/d31-02/index.html

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote