Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #59476
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,463
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Geez man... take it down a couple notches!
Dude, I go to 11.

I scared the crap out of a girl today yelling at you. From now on I am just going to flip you off.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #59477
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Need to know.....

The length of a CRF 450X front axle, end to end.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #59478
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
sooooo for the life of me i cannot find a new cdi online for sale that is in the united states!
i have googled my heart out!!
i found a few, one in belgum and another somewhere else.
i dont wanna order outside the u.s.
guess i'll check my local honda for a reaming?

so anyone have an idea where to get a new cdi?
I ordered mine form here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...0-MN9-000.html
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #59479
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
So the moral of the story is that I am still invincible but oven cleaner is my kryptonite.
Alright!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #59480
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester4always View Post
I was so close to having the "new" 650L sorted out, I had just replaced the jets with the stock sizes and it was running fairly well, but still dead in the middle a bit. Being lazy I attempted to pull the slide while the carb was still attached to the bike but removed from the intake. Dumbass me dropped one of the carb top screws and it disappeared into the depths of the shop, or so I thought. I bolted everything up and hit the starter. I heard a slight metallic noise and killed it quick. I am still not convinced that that little begger managed to bounce into the intake but anything is possible.
My question: I tried rotating the motor using the crank bolt, just before Compression stroke TDC I feel sort of a notchiness. I cant tell if I am being paranoid or not! the exhaust stroke feels fine. Is there sort of a "Hump" just at TDC? Shit I dont want to pull the head just to do a inspection.

Oh man, can you go fishing down the plug hole with a skinny telescoping magnetic retrieval tool?

It naturally feels a little goofy on the compression stroke with the plug in as the force reduces dramatically as it gets to TDC.

Try rotating it with the plug out.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #59481
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #59482
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
I was so close to having the "new" 650L sorted out, I had just replaced the jets with the stock sizes and it was running fairly well, but still dead in the middle a bit. Being lazy I attempted to pull the slide while the carb was still attached to the bike but removed from the intake. Dumbass me dropped one of the carb top screws and it disappeared into the depths of the shop, or so I thought. I bolted everything up and hit the starter. I heard a slight metallic noise and killed it quick. I am still not convinced that that little begger managed to bounce into the intake but anything is possible.
My question: I tried rotating the motor using the crank bolt, just before Compression stroke TDC I feel sort of a notchiness. I cant tell if I am being paranoid or not! the exhaust stroke feels fine. Is there sort of a "Hump" just at TDC? Shit I dont want to pull the head just to do a inspection.
If these bikes weren`t suck pigs,,,you could flip the bike over on it`s seat and handlebars and spin the engine a buch of times with the plug out,,it would either come out the plug hole or find it`s way out an exhaust port or intake port when the valves opened..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #59483
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderslowerguy View Post
the length of a crf 450x front axle, end to end.

Thanks

8 15/16"

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #59484
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html

nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #59485
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Dude, I go to 11.

I scared the crap out of a girl today yelling at you. From now on I am just going to flip you off.
Fair enough...

I was just sitting there, heard yelling, and thought "Hey, that's my name. Weird." Then I look over and see you jumping around like a rabbit on crack doing the "OMG, Hi!" wave at me...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #59486
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 814
Seriously considering a XRL for the next bike, I am wondering about the front forks....I am not looking to switch to USD forks necessarily, but I am seriously considering swapping to XRR forks for the bigger dimension legs. If I am doing this should I just forget the XRR forks and go USD. I am assuming that the XRR is a direct swap with same size steer tube, so slap new bearing in, swap the triples and fork legs....are the wheels different? Axle different size? Brake setups different?

Just had a DR650 and swapped the front end for a DRZ for the same reason and worked out really well.

Just looking for any input.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #59487
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Seriously considering a XRL for the next bike, I am wondering about the front forks....I am not looking to switch to USD forks necessarily, but I am seriously considering swapping to XRR forks for the bigger dimension legs. If I am doing this should I just forget the XRR forks and go USD. I am assuming that the XRR is a direct swap with same size steer tube, so slap new bearing in, swap the triples and fork legs....are the wheels different? Axle different size? Brake setups different?

Just had a DR650 and swapped the front end for a DRZ for the same reason and worked out really well.

Just looking for any input.

Thanks.
The XRR wheel is different so you'd need one of those besides the forks. You'd get a bit more adjustment. I'd say if you are going to do a fork swap, might as well go with USD.

If you are looking for a cheaper solution, you can run a fork brace with the stock XRL forks and put stiffer single-rate springs in. I'm running stock springs with an RSW fork brace and I'm happy with the performance so far. Most of my riding is commuting, with some logging roads and trails mixed in (see pics on previous page).
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #59488
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 814
I won't be doing single track with the XRL but I will be doing some off roading....and definitely testing the suspension, lots of rocky trails. Just worried about bad front suspension.

How involved is the USD swap, any chance of direct bolt ups....swapping the triple, forks and wheel???

Admittedly I have not done much searching yet, but looking for a quick yes or no.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #59489
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
My 95 back in action thanks to Mrfixit with a motor that should last longer than I do. Out tomorrow for 2 to 300 dirt miles

Thanks again Eric!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #59490
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,098
Hey silly engineer types:

How much does a rear disc of steel mounting like a rear wheel, have to weigh to simulate under load on the road?

Consider 180lbs rider. Seems like just in my head without knowing what I'm doing, that about 75lbs should simulate that??? Perhaps I'm making a poormans dyno to use with an o2 sensor setup to dial in an FCR??

maybe.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote