Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #59536
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
You have saved the world, well a BMW owner anyway, so you have sure earned it.

Was this the guy that blew his rear drive?
Yeah,,,,,,but by the time you pm`d me and i actually got ahold of the guy,,he had it at the dealer and they were fixing the bike up....

But.i went over to the dealer......met up with him as he picked up the bike and he came over for a pile of beer and steak,,stayed the night here on the sofa........then the next morning we found he had a flat front tire

Nice fella.wish i could have got ahold of him before he had it at the dealer,,but they were out there picking him and the bike up in 20 minutes or so he said,,great service from that dealer....

I really didn`t get a chance to help much,,,,,,,but by fucky i got him drunk so at least i got to do that

I`ve got no problems helping a guy out,,it`s alot of fun,,i mean geeezz ShooterDave was here a total of about a month and we did the top end on his bike and welded up the frame and alot of other shit......i had a cast on my left arm but we got it done and had a great time...i`d like to do that more..i really enjoy it..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 07:46 PM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #59537
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
Cam chain service limit?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #59538
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Never mind. Found some spares and found that they are way loose. That would explain the pinging and "advanced" timing.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #59539
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Never mind. Found some spares and found that they are way loose. That would explain the pinging and "advanced" timing.
Stretched retards the timing / more top-end.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #59540
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Stretched retards the timing / more top-end.
So Joe,,how much in thous of an inch do i need to stretch the chain to get about 130mph out of this pig....and how do i stretch the chain...i have a van with a trailer hitch and a big tree out front if that helps..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 06-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #59541
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
So Joe,,how much in thous of an inch do i need to stretch the chain to get about 130mph out of this pig....and how do i stretch the chain...i have a van with a trailer hitch and a big tree out front if that helps..

B
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #59542
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,298
Wait a minute, chains don't stretch. They wear. A little wear on each part of the chain adds up quickly.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #59543
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

B
You just need to stretch it just far enough to hook to the bumper of a car that'll do 130mph.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #59544
joexr
Banned

Yes , it's wear , but people tend to say stretch. I've slotted my cam sprocket and I'm running 6 degrees of cam retard along with 3 degrees of ignition advance. It'll do about 115MPH. [ by GPS Fritz. ] It pushes a lot of air at that speed. If it were fully faired I'd say it'd do another 10PH.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #59545
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

If the "pins are worn" the piston would be "ahead of" the cam that is...

AHH "behind." Got it. I was hoping to have another explanation. Damn it.

how did you advance the timing?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #59546
joexr
Banned

Quote:
If the "pins are worn" the piston would be "ahead of" the cam that is...

AHH "behind." Got it. I was hoping to have another explanation. Damn it.

Slotted the holes in the pulse-generator.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #59547
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Wait a minute, chains don't stretch. They wear. A little wear on each part of the chain adds up quickly.
I don`t have time to wear it that much though,,i`m on vacation only till monday,,so this need to happen quickly or not all...

B
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #59548
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Yes , it's wear , but people tend to say stretch. I've slotted my cam sprocket and I'm running 6 degrees of cam retard along with 3 degrees of ignition advance. It'll do about 115MPH. [ by GPS Fritz. ] It pushes a lot of air at that speed. If it were fully faired I'd say it'd do another 10PH.
6 degrees eh.......what`s that in celcuis.......

B
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #59549
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:

Loosen the bolt and turn the distributor CCW..

B
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #59550
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Cool2 Tail light issues? You could be an Idiot like me

Quote:
on the front mount you'll see two blades where the light signal circuit gets closed. Use a 2.99 harbor frieght 7 way tester to see if you are getting continuity there. From the rear brake pedal, follow the cable up to the top of the air box and find a black connector, 2 wires and test continuity there.

It doesn't sound like that's your problem, but they could possibly BOTH be failing. Fix as desired.

After that follow the green and green white back to the taillight and make sure you're getting the connection all the way back. Take the bulb out, turn the key on, and verify voltage at both the nubs in the socket. If you're getting voltage its your bulb. Alternatively you can test continuity in the bult as well. "black" on the housing and "red" to each of the nubs on the bulb.

Could also be a loose wire behind the housing. My ground wire has a habit of coming off despite my best efforts to build in enough slack. Your switched wire could be doing the same.

After that it's trace the wire and find a break. i have a feeling you'll find something in those first 3 though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The bulb is in wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post
So im putting together the bike again after a complete tear down. I plugged in the tail light and the light comes on but wont get brighter when I hit the front or rear brakes. Fuses look good and the wires are connected correct (i made a note of them before the tear down). Any ideas what I should be looking at?
Just wanted to leave a note for future reference for anyone else who come across this issue like I did.

If neither of your levers actuate the brake light but your tail lights are on, CHECK THE ADJUSTMENT NUT ON THE REAR BRAKE LEVER SWITCH! While putting it back on I tightened it too much so the brake light was actuated the whole time and I spent days trying to figure out why my brake lights arent working

Thanks for everyones help and input!

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote