ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #59581
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chipbl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
So the 52 slow seems to smoothed out low to mid power delivery brought in a hint of off throttle pop. I will have to have a look at the plug and see whats up with it now after it gets a few days of normal use.
What's the main size?

And a jetting question for the collective: I thought my 55 pilot was too rich, so I turned the idle screw in to where it's probably 1 1/4. Runs better. Is this ok to be so far off the recommended 2 1/4~ish? Does turning it in like that basically just mimic a smaller pilot jet? I plan to try the stock next time I'm in the carb but wanted to get opinions on what I'm doing in the mean time.

Thanks all -
__________________
2008 XR650L, tons of goodies.
chipbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #59582
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Thanks. But its a 102 bore.... wirh only about 5k miles

But your engine wanted to come apart. The insides was missing the sun shine.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #59583
kenny61
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 24,109
Good reason to do a kicker and cdub cam
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #59584
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,211
So a fella posted in Thumpers that he was looking for someone that works on XRL's in San Francisco. We make contact and he brings his bike by yesterday. His concern was the knocking that it was making all of the time. I tell him there's only one way to find out. Open 'er up. He had resolved himself to doing the top end from the start. He just recently bought the bike and the noise was figured into the price.

I open it up today and the first thing I find is the cam sprocket timing doesn't line up so the chain is stretched but also the decom assy spring is on BACKWARDS!!! No tension on the chain so the guides are now all chewed up. Dig a bit deeper and sure enough the piston shows signs of a prior seizure. Off to the machinist goes the head and cylinder. Parts are ordered.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #59585
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stksonly View Post
I already possess all the kickstart parts......forgot to include this little factoid on original post. I want to know WHAT is needed IF a guy wants to remove the electric start altogether. New side cover, stator, flywheel etc.....
You just need to plug the hole on the side cover where the starter plugs in. You can't run an XR600R sidecover unless you shorten the snout on the crank... it is longer than the XR600R. You may be able to run an XR600R flywheel. I think it will work, but have not tried it myself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #59586
nic579
x
 
nic579's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NY State Of Surcharge
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
But your engine wanted to come apart. The insides was missing the sun shine.
Soon to be known as Sunshine Steve.

Always a bright side to cracking those cases open.

Personally I want the dark and murky goth insides that want to hide from the sun.


That makes me want to make or buy a good counter-shaft sprocket chain guide.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #59587
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
What's the main size?

And a jetting question for the collective: I thought my 55 pilot was too rich, so I turned the idle screw in to where it's probably 1 1/4. Runs better. Is this ok to be so far off the recommended 2 1/4~ish? Does turning it in like that basically just mimic a smaller pilot jet? I plan to try the stock next time I'm in the carb but wanted to get opinions on what I'm doing in the mean time.

Thanks all -
Yes. Do you have an off idle miss with the 1 1/4 set up? Put in a 52 or a 50.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #59588
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
So the 52 slow seems to smoothed out low to mid power delivery brought in a hint of off throttle pop. I will have to have a look at the plug and see whats up with it now after it gets a few days of normal use.
To get rid of the POP as you call it ( backfire ) turn in the idle mix screw and speed up the idle RPM with the idle air screw ( big knob attached to the cable ) Or change to a 50 pilot.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #59589
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
cam sprocket timing doesn't line up so the chain is stretched but also the decom assy spring is on BACKWARDS!!! No tension on the chain so the guides are now all chewed up. Dig a bit deeper and sure enough the piston shows signs of a prior seizure.
Be gentle.
__________________
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #59590
nic579
x
 
nic579's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NY State Of Surcharge
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
To get rid of the POP as you call it ( backfire ) turn in the idle mix screw and speed up the idle RPM with the idle air screw ( big knob attached to the cable ) Or change to a 50 pilot.

I thought backfire on deceleration was a lean condition? It just has the very slightest hint of the issue. I was going to actually back out the idle mix screw.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #59591
nic579
x
 
nic579's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NY State Of Surcharge
Oddometer: 369
I am about to have a go at the pig with some work as I have some time off of work. The CRF450R forks need seals as I am starting to get some wetting on the lowers. I am lookiong at getting the PivoWorks kit + Possibly the gold valve kit but was wondering if its actually needed or worth it on these forks? I know on the 80s and 90s GSXR forks it was night and day difference, how about on these springers? $140 buys a lot of beer.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #59592
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
I am about to have a go at the pig with some work as I have some time off of work. The CRF450R forks need seals as I am starting to get some wetting on the lowers. I am lookiong at getting the PivoWorks kit + Possibly the gold valve kit but was wondering if its actually needed or worth it on these forks? I know on the 80s and 90s GSXR forks it was night and day difference, how about on these springers? $140 buys a lot of beer.
All you need is the seals. What's your address, I'll send you the wrench and the seal driver and a PDF of how to service the forks. Send me the beer. PM coming.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #59593
nic579
x
 
nic579's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NY State Of Surcharge
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
All you need is the seals. What's your address, I'll send you the wrench and the seal driver and a PDF of how to service the forks. Send me the beer. PM coming.
So Teflon wipers hold up well too?
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #59594
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
So Teflon wipers hold up well too?
I serviced the forks once several thousand miles ago with OEM parts, and the fork skins. No problems for me.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #59595
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
RZRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
I am about to have a go at the pig with some work as I have some time off of work. The CRF450R forks need seals as I am starting to get some wetting on the lowers. I am lookiong at getting the PivoWorks kit + Possibly the gold valve kit but was wondering if its actually needed or worth it on these forks? I know on the 80s and 90s GSXR forks it was night and day difference, how about on these springers? $140 buys a lot of beer.
I swap out my 450 seals at least once a season. Just got done doing mine. No more oil cooled brakes.

You'll need the cap wrench and then a 17mm to hold things at the bottom of the legs so you can pull it apart. Factory seals come with wipers.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014