Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #59851
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Thanks again for the comments on brake pads... I looked on fleabay and that it is definitely the way to go. The Honda dealer quote I mentioned previously was $30 just for the rear and they don't even have them in stock... Failed to mention that early!

Also... One tip for the dog shit in your yard is to grind up mothballs and spread the granules/dust where they shit (won't harm the grass)... Should deter them as long as you don't mind the smell for a few days. Of course if the person has actually pissed you off this may be too passive of an approach... in which case more fun/creative tactics could be used.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #59852
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Thanks again for the comments on brake pads... I looked on fleabay and that it is definitely the way to go. The Honda dealer quote I mentioned previously was $30 just for the rear and they don't even have them in stock... Failed to mention that early!

Also... One tip for the dog shit in your yard is to grind up mothballs and spread the granules/dust where they shit (won't harm the grass)... Should deter them as long as you don't mind the smell for a few days. Of course if the person has actually pissed you off this may be too passive of an approach... in which case more fun/creative tactics could be used.

I hear pouring TEXAS BEER on your lawn keeps the dogs off,can`t fool those dogs,,they know crap when they smell it.........

See how Fritz likes that

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #59853
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post

You are welcome Clint.
One word of caution though. Sintered pads require a break in period. When you go our on the first ride be sure to test your brakes and don't be surprised if your initial impression is that you don't have any brakes. Allow a lot of extra stopping distance at first. Once bedded in the sintered pads will have a very linear stopping performance and you will find you can really stand on them.

Because of the good "feel" of this type of pad material stopping distances off road will overall be shorter and without lock up.

I looked up the pad life I have experienced and am glad to report that the Ferodo sintered pads on my 96 XRL now are at half thickness at the rear and 1/3 thickness remaining on the front after 10K miles . I installed new used rotors with these sets of sintered pads and the rotors appear to be worn slightly but evenly.

The Freodo PN's are rear: FDB539SG and front FDB892SG. I am very pleased with the performance of my Ferodo pads and I have a lot of confidence in Freodo as they also make all of Brembo's pads.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 06:33 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #59854
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I hear pouring TEXAS BEER on your lawn keeps the dogs off,can`t fool those dogs,,they know crap when they smell it.........

See how Fritz likes that

B
I don't need to waste good ( GOOD ) beer when I'm hangen round the house:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #59855
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You are welcome Clint.
One word of caution though. Sintered pads require a break in period. When you go our on the first ride be sure to test your brakes and don't be surprised if your initial impression is that you don't have any brakes. Allow a lot of extra stopping distance at first. Once bedded in the sintered pads will have a very linear stopping performance and you will find you can really stand on them.

Because of the good "feel" of this type of pad material stopping distances off road will overall be shorter and without lock up.

I looked up the pad life I have experienced and am glad to report that the Ferodo sintered pads on my 96 XRL now are at half thickness at the rear and 1/3 thickness remaining on the front after 10K miles . I installed new used rotors with these sets of sintered pads and the rotors appear to be worn slightly but evenly.

The Freodo PN's are rear: FDB539SG and front FDB892SG. I am very pleased with the performance of my Ferodo pads and I have a lot of confidence in Freodo as they also make all of Brembo's pads.
Spoken with the kindness of Spud...
What happened to Fritz???

Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #59856
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You are welcome Clint.

Awesome... Thanks Fritz!

I'll certainly look into Ferodo pads. My rotors are a little worn too (evenly) but I think they're ok for another set of pads.

Actually... This brings me to another question... My rear pads have not worn evenly. The inner rear pad has alot of life left (maybe 2/3) but the outer rear pad is worn to bare metal... Just noticed it the other day. I check frequently so the wear has happened pretty fast. I have also noticed that the level in my brake fluid resevoir has slowly gotten lower over the last month or so. Does all of this ring any obvious bells with ya'll? Air in the line? What could cause only one to wear out so fast? I haven't disassembled yet. For what it's worth an experienced mechanic went through the bike last Dec-Jan... I know he checked the brake assembly.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #59857
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,571
The rear as well as the front brake calipers have one piston doing the pushing and the other is the fixed side. As the pads wear the fixed side slides on the caliper locating pins. Perhaps your caliper is stuck in place on the pins (lack of lube on pins) and thus the piston side brake pad is doing all of the work and getting all of the wear.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #59858
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Steve... That certainly makes sense. I'm hoping to dive into it next week. I have no doubts that I'll have a few more questions as I really get into it... I'm still a newbie... Learning new things as the situations arise. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #59859
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,420
Hey Fritz can you post up a link to the place that does them pretty coatings for ya?

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #59860
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Little bit of a redesign and this is nearly what it will look like on the bike. The drawings are more advanced than what's on the bike just now. I went with a 2mm fin @ 2mm spacing. I'll make a ~1mm gasket to fit between the body and the cap and will secure with M6x25 machine screws and I've put dowel slots into the cap to body holes. I'll use the standard valve cover dowels. The rear bracket will be M8x20mm into the threaded body mounting holes.

I'll use 3/8 NPTF to 3/8 barbed 45 to 3/8 transmission/oil line and into the oil return on the bike on the right side and I'll have to take it through where the R/R is and move that into the airbox I suppose.

I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #59861
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Re-did my seat. Turns out it had the taller-than-stock Guts foam in it. I shaved it down a bit and threw on the new black cover. Looks a lot better than the old faded one, and still feels as comfortable as before. And I can flat foot it now!

Old faded cover (really didn't match anything else on the bike)

New black vinyl:

Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #59862
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Little bit of a redesign and this is nearly what it will look like on the bike. The drawings are more advanced than what's on the bike just now. I went with a 2mm fin @ 2mm spacing. I'll make a ~1mm gasket to fit between the body and the cap and will secure with M6x25 machine screws and I've put dowel slots into the cap to body holes. I'll use the standard valve cover dowels. The rear bracket will be M8x20mm into the threaded body mounting holes.

I'll use 3/8 NPTF to 3/8 barbed 45 to 3/8 transmission/oil line and into the oil return on the bike on the right side and I'll have to take it through where the R/R is and move that into the airbox I suppose.

Move the R/R to the airbox? Mine gets pretty damned hot.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #59863
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Move the R/R to the airbox? Mine gets pretty damned hot.
It'll be in the way. I have the valdez.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #59864
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Hey Fritz can you post up a link to the place that does them pretty coatings for ya?
You bet Kenny!
http://www.polydyn.com/tx7.htm

A little coating droolage for you guys:

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 06:17 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #59865
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,571
Fritz,

How about you putting that link in your signature line?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote