Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #59986
nic579
x

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
OK folks, I'm hoping you guys want to talk steering stabilizers for a minute. I know things like this often mask set-up issues, but I noticed my new XRL in its current form and my old one too have this near-death front end wallow above 60MPH that's likely related to the D606s or maybe the windscreen on my bike but either way, both bikes had the same issue and these were two things in common.

So, I'm thinking of springing for Scotts because at 60MPH I'm barely breaking idle. I realize I'll need taller bars and probably have to MacGyver a few things.

Any comments, suggestions?

RZ Rob
Death grip and or poor slow speed rebound and dampening settings can have great effect on this too.
nic579 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #59987
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I was really pleasantly surprised by how the Trailwings handled everything. I'm running 20psi and it seems to do ok everywhere.
Did somebody say the Dunlop D606 front sucks?
I don't mind puttering on the slab, I can go in the woods
All I'm saying is that I was irritated and disappointed when I found out that I had been riding two years on a front Trailwing thinking things were fine until I wore it out and switched to a Scorpion Pro, what a HUGE improvement, I went from feeling like I had a ski in the front on the edge of always sliding out to actually being able to turn the bike in the direction I wanted to go, having that be my second tire I still decided to experiment with other front tires, I tried the Surge I next, it looked like a really good tire...nope, (sorry Spud, perhaps our riding styles differ and the terrain is that much different) I was back to feeling like the tire was going to slide out from under me all the time, It got a little better feel dropping down to 12psi and wanted to go lower but I have had tires slip on the rim from braking anything under that.
on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best) out of the tires I have tried:
1. Trailwing
3. Surge I (was going to be a 2 until I was coming down Shasta Bally Mt and hit some mud and it held a little better then I thought It would)
10. Scorpion Pro

I almost feel like a snob because I am actually going to buy another Scorpion Pro and put it on and park the Surge I at 850miles.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #59988
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 620
Quote:

Now I need a stabilizer as it wants to go fast.

RZ Rob
If you get inspired could you take a closer picture of the clearance of your QS3 to the starter?

P.S. I don't think you'll regret getting the stabilizer, I really like mine
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #59989
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
OK folks, I'm hoping you guys want to talk steering stabilizers for a minute. I know things like this often mask set-up issues, but I noticed my new XRL in its current form and my old one too have this near-death front end wallow above 60MPH that's likely related to the D606s or maybe the windscreen on my bike but either way, both bikes had the same issue and these were two things in common.

So, I'm thinking of springing for Scotts because at 60MPH I'm barely breaking idle. I realize I'll need taller bars and probably have to MacGyver a few things.

RZ Rob
Just my $.02, but I would figure out what the issue with the shake is first. I had a few issues like that that I fixed, tire pressure was one culprit and my windscreen angle was the second. After I fixed those I had no problems with head shake at speeds well in excess of the speed limit.

When I was looking into the stabilizers the thing that ultimately turned me off to them was that they are most utilized for offroad use, and I don't get to do nearly as much offroad as I want to. I might get one in the future, but I'll probably get SM wheels first.

-Barron
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #59990
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:

RZ Rob
Bought one brand new about 3 years ago had it on about 3 months & tried every setting & really saw no improvement or difference? Sold it for 1/2 price to a friend. Preload setting, tire, rider position all make a difference. For me on my bike the faster I go the more stable it is when you are on the gas but not when you let off. Run 55 to 70 across the Res, very stable with no Scotts or fork brace??
http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rtb1...001-1.mp4.html

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rtb1...ea65a.mp4.html
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #59991
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
If you get inspired could you take a closer picture of the clearance of your QS3 to the starter?

P.S. I don't think you'll regret getting the stabilizer, I really like mine
So the QS3 clears the starter no problem, but it does come close to the crankcase breather vent hose. I'll snap a pic tonight.

I'm glad to hear what you say about the stabilizer. Changing the bars seems like a hassle. I just wish I could figure out what's causing the issue. I'm convinced it's the D606 up front.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #59992
nic579
x

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
I'm convinced it's the D606 up front.

RZ Rob
Easily could be I have had poor tire match issues on a street bike at least once.
nic579 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #59993
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So the QS3 clears the starter no problem, but it does come close to the crankcase breather vent hose. I'll snap a pic tonight.

I'm glad to hear what you say about the stabilizer. Changing the bars seems like a hassle. I just wish I could figure out what's causing the issue. I'm convinced it's the D606 up front.

RZ Rob
Bring it over here & we will get it right Each bike is a little different. I know on other lighter bikes, guys swear by them? I have the Protaper Pastrana FMX bars with the 52 mm bar risers. You want the front end light but not so light that it won't turn well. Just really have to experiment until it works for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #59994
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Steering head bearing adjustment

Tire pressures

Shock pre-load

Loose nut behind the wheel.

Oh, that's right. No steering wheel...
Maybe wheel bearings too
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #59995
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:

RZ Rob
If you got the big , long , floppy ass stock front fender it'll induce a wobble sometimes too.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #59996
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
If you got the big , long , floppy ass stock front fender it'll induce a wobble sometimes too.
Really
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #59997
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Really
Yes.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #59998
Broken Wings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I would say stick with the stock sprocket and grease often with moly paste and monitor- and report back after 5000 miles!

Also, so many are saying leaner than the 55/158 works best, so start a little leaner than that if you do the standard mods.

The Honda dealer delivered the bike for me today after work. I've got 11 miles on it.

I like the bike, it fits me pretty well. It feels good to have a new motorcycle in the garage. I haven't bought a new one in a long time.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #59999
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I would say stick with the stock sprocket and grease often with moly paste and monitor- and report back after 5000 miles!

Also, so many are saying leaner than the 55/158 works best, so start a little leaner than that if you do the standard mods.

Yessir Dave , I would agree with your words , I'm at 55/155 , seems great on top , but maybe a litte fat from the crack ,

I have desnorkel , desmogged , uni , fmf power4 , runs damn good like this ,

I was at 158 and it was way to big , went to 155 and is way better ,I will try 152 sometimes along with back at 52 ,

But will do it 1 step at a time to see whats what ,

Oh , and BTW , @ sea level .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #60000
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Does anyone have an extra stock rear suspension linkage they'd like to sell? A buddy of mine is trying to set his suspension back to stock... The guy he bought it from had lowered the bike and didn't provide the stock linkage when he sold it.

Thanks!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote