n00b

Oddometer: 7
T
cthornburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #60272
cthornburg
n00b

Bike stalls often coming to a stop. Starts back up immediately. I have an A/F ratio digital gauge installed and I don't notice any problems with fuel. Seems electrical. Would appreciate any suggestions. It's a 2003 XR650L with stock exhaust. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #60273
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthornburg View Post
Bike stalls often coming to a stop. Starts back up immediately. I have an A/F ratio digital gauge installed and I don't notice any problems with fuel. Seems electrical. Would appreciate any suggestions. It's a 2003 XR650L with stock exhaust. Thank you!
Try raising up the rpm's a 1/4 turn.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #60274
vwhammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Is there a big square hole in the bottom of your muffler out at the tip?
If so there is supposed to be a cover over that (parts 9,10 and 17 in the pic)

If it is missing it causes enough of a quick lean condition at idle that it stalls.

I only know this because I was having the same issue when I bought mine.
That hole was open so I whipped up a cover for it and it has not stalled since I installed it.

You can fab one yourself or get the stock parts from bikebandit.com or use some hose clamps and a beer can to cover it temporarily to test the theory.
vwhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #60275
cthornburg
n00b

Thanks! Will try the suggestions
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #60276
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhammer View Post
Is there a big square hole in the bottom of your muffler out at the tip?
If so there is supposed to be a cover over that (parts 9,10 and 17 in the pic)

If it is missing it causes enough of a quick lean condition at idle that it stalls.

I only know this because I was having the same issue when I bought mine.
That hole was open so I whipped up a cover for it and it has not stalled since I installed it.

You can fab one yourself or get the stock parts from bikebandit.com or use some hose clamps and a beer can to cover it temporarily to test the theory.
Been trying to troubleshoot this issue myself. Just checked and mine is missing Simply rusted off! I'll probably get new ones and try this out to see if this fixes the issue.

cthornburg, any leads to this A/F mixture gauge you speak of?

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #60277
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Thanks for the baseline settings guys you all know who you are, the FCR_MX is in. Once the bowl filled with fuel and I pumped the excess fuel out the cylinder that I over primed the bike sprang to a steady beat at around the 1800 rpm range. Right now I am trying to figure out how to turn the idle screw as its hidden behind my oil separator. Its too late to play with the thing so that will have to wait until I get back from my Human resource meeting tomorrow. I am a little nervous about testing this without the UEGO and it sounds like there is a mouse screaming in my airbox every time I gas the thing. Poor little bugger is going to have to suffer. I ended up making the carb bell mount on with a sleeve of 2" inside diameter filler neck tube and a hose clamp, man is that stuff hard to cut into narrow strips.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #60278
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,906
As mentioned you'll want to worry about flow in that side of the carb. You want that side to be non volatile.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #60279
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Thanks for the baseline settings guys you all know who you are, the FCR_MX is in. Once the bowl filled with fuel and I pumped the excess fuel out the cylinder that I over primed the bike sprang to a steady beat at around the 1800 rpm range. Right now I am trying to figure out how to turn the idle screw as its hidden behind my oil separator. Its too late to play with the thing so that will have to wait until I get back from my Human resource meeting tomorrow. I am a little nervous about testing this without the UEGO and it sounds like there is a mouse screaming in my airbox every time I gas the thing. Poor little bugger is going to have to suffer. I ended up making the carb bell mount on with a sleeve of 2" inside diameter filler neck tube and a hose clamp, man is that stuff hard to cut into narrow strips.
The chirp noise from an FCR MX is common...alot of guys on TT hear it when gasing it...changing the wear plate may stop the noise,,who knows,,i don`t hear it anymore,,,or don`t care to hear it

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #60280
nic579
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
The chirp noise from an FCR MX is common...alot of guys on TT hear it when gasing it...changing the wear plate may stop the noise,,who knows,,i don`t hear it anymore,,,or don`t care to hear it

B
Wear plate looked to be in good shape if anything showed wear it was the slide wheels. They looks a little worn but not too rough. Is it normal for 3 of the wheels to have ball bearings and one to be of plain bearing type?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #60281
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Is it normal for 3 of the wheels to have ball bearings and one to be of plain bearing type?
Yes
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #60282
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
TRight now I am trying to figure out how to turn the idle screw as its hidden behind my oil separator...and it sounds like there is a mouse screaming in my airbox every time I gas the thing.
Mine goes BRRRAAAAAP!

BTW, shame you weren't more geographically convenient because somehow I got two of those long screws in my order, so I've got an extra.

Tusk Fuel Mixture Screw - 2012 Honda CRF250X
Part # 1140340001
$11.992$23.98

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #60283
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Mine goes BRRRAAAAAP!

BTW, shame you weren't more geographically convenient because somehow I got two of those long screws in my order, so I've got an extra.

Part # 1140340001
$11.992$23.98

RZ Rob
Not to be picky...BRRRAAAAAP is 2 stroke....no one has been able to make a good 4 stroke sound as of yet. Maybe BaWaaawp?
It's too bad, not having a universal 4 stroke sound has ruined many a good story.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #60284
nic579
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Mine goes BRRRAAAAAP!

Part # 1140340001
$11.992$23.98

RZ Rob
I have the long screw for that the idle stop screw needs better placement + I need an adjustable slow air screw.

Anyone doing TAT from Arkansas this summer? Just found out the job I was supposedly hired for is most likely not going to happen due to the fact I haven't come up with a residence history going back 28 years which I guess makes me a child molester. Gotta love NY state. The beauty of this is it was never talked about until I left my other job and passed up another job that is no longer available. I might just pack up and head back out west on the bike after visiting friends down in AR.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #60285
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
Not to be picky...BRRRAAAAAP is 2 stroke....no one has been able to make a good 4 stroke sound as of yet. Maybe BaWaaawp?
It's too bad, not having a universal 4 stroke sound has ruined many a good story.

2 strokes are ring-a-ding-a-ding-ding