User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #60331
red rider 391
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Riding to the GNCC races this weekend

My buddy and i are riding our dual sports (xr 650 l ,kawi klr 650 ) to the Gncc race at Snowshoe ! We are leaving sat. morning . South from home rt 250 south to Elkins then 219 to Snowshoe . Its calling for 80 % rain ! If you have never been to Snowshoe ,Its like the old Blackwater 100 ,The toughest race in America . We want to get there in time to watch the Pro ATV racers sat . afternoon . Then some time to check out the dirt roads that run around the 25 mile loop the racers race on ! Sunday is the race i wanna see . The Pro Bikes ! 3 hour race ,Nothing easy about this track !We were going to camp ,Not allowed ( bear ) So i got a hotel for sat. night !Just want the XR to haul me and a load around all weekend and still get me home Sunday night ! I have ran the pro pits for a pro rider here before ,so i know a little about this track ,but i wanna see some different parts of the 25 mile loop,The xr should get me around ! lol . Did i say it was going to Rain ! Believe me it rains in the mountains ! 80% ,That means RAIN ! Ride down in the rain ,watch the race in the rain ,then ride home in the Rain ! Sounds like a blast !
red rider 391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #60332
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
I think we may have gotten a little off trail here. The problem in our modern 4 stroke error has stifled bench racing everywhere. In the 2 stroke days, throwing in a legitimate 2 stroke "like" sound was relatively easy and never lost a step. Of course we had 4 strokes back then but also 2 things were true as well. Most 4 stroke riders did not ride offroad, therefore no great stories or they were still on the trail while the cool 2 stroke stories were told.
Now I know that not all of us can replicate a 2 stroke sound but in conversation rarely did someone stop you and say, "What was that? Where you on a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?"
It is a sad sad time, soon there will be electric bikes. All sound effected stories will be lost.
Please, if you ride a 2 stroke, continue to tell lies about your ride including sounds. If you ride a 4 stroke....maybe you shouldn't tell riding stories using sound effects. (boring). Ever hear a Bicycle guy tell a story...nothing...no sound effects. If you have a multi cylinder bike, forget the sounds, you will never make it right.
Nobody rode 4-strokes off road?! I can still remember sitting on my 1972 DT125 alongside a lonely stretch of trail listening to the roar of a juiced up TT500 ripping up the trail. It still amazes me how the sound of a big thumper penetrates and echoes like a smoker never will. Then there was my buddies old man's 1957 Indian 500cc "scrambler" single. THAT was a beast! Manual spark advance lever on one side of the bar and the decomp on the other side. It would seriously maim you if you didnt do the starting drill BY THE NUMBERS. Once fired up... straight pipe... holee chit, it was freaking LOUD... belching flames out the pipe Stooopid heavy. A real handful to ride. Gotta love the big ole thumpers.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #60333
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Nobody rode 4-strokes off road?! I can still remember sitting on my 1972 DT125 alongside a lonely stretch of trail listening to the roar of a juiced up TT500 ripping up the trail. It still amazes me how the sound of a big thumper penetrates and echoes like a smoker never will. Then there was my buddies old man's 1957 Indian 500cc "scrambler" single. THAT was a beast! Manual spark advance lever on one side of the bar and the decomp on the other side. It would seriously maim you if you didnt do the starting drill BY THE NUMBERS. Once fired up... straight pipe... holee chit, it was freaking LOUD... belching flames out the pipe Stooopid heavy. A real handful to ride. Gotta love the big ole thumpers.
I totally agree. I'm just about to turn 40 so what did I buy myself for my birthday, but a 20+ year old XR! I have had the latest and greatest woods bikes and I do think the 300 is a pretty sweet ring dinger, and my Husaberg 450 (just sold it) was great, but it was too high-tech.
I did love that thumper growl though.
I have my little BMW thumper GS now and it's great.
I think I have the XR running pretty good. I'll pull the plug in a day or so and take a pic and see if you guys can tell me where I'm at.
Bikes can come and go, but I am not going to let this XR go anywhere.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #60334
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
http://www.poetmotorcycles.com/e-store.html

I think I'm getting the Stone Master rear.
will the 120/90-18 fit?

And I'm going with the MX Master front.
two sizes available:
If I'm primarily off road, which one should I get?
80/100-21
or
90/90-21
Probably 80/100 right?
Thanks

kdennan screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 05:27 AM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #60335
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I totally agree. I'm just about to turn 40 so what did I buy myself for my birthday, but a 20+ year old XR! I have had the latest and greatest woods bikes and I do think the 300 is a pretty sweet ring dinger, and my Husaberg 450 (just sold it) was great, but it was too high-tech.
I did love that thumper growl though.
I have my little BMW thumper GS now and it's great.
I think I have the XR running pretty good. I'll pull the plug in a day or so and take a pic and see if you guys can tell me where I'm at.
Bikes can come and go, but I am not going to let this XR go anywhere.
Love my XR's had had a few, bikes come and go even XR's the BRP is perfect for the driving I do around town. I am however a little small to trail ride this thing which has me now looking at the KTM 350EXC-F. I have not trail ridden in years and having the BRP has given me the desire to get back into the sport.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #60336
Kilroy_1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Bit of a long winded post, so bear with me. On the way home from "work" I decided to turn off on a road I have never been on before. About 2 miles down I pass a Minimum Maintenance sign. That means "this road is fun." So I turn the bike around and had the most fun I have ever had on this bike. It was all rocks headed downhill, ranging in size from gravel to pumpkin/watermelon size. I scraped the bottom of the bike. At the bottom of the hill were two mud holes. After that, regular gravel begins. So I turned around and played macho hill climber, which was a little more wild than I expected. Perhaps I'll take pics next time I stop by.

My swingarm slider is worn through, and MSR sliders have been on backorder everywhere. I should have one in a few days. In the mean time I have made a temporary slider out of some wonder plastic, that I think will last forever.

Shinko 700 in 5.10 or 130/90-18. Not a horrible tire, but didn't last long on the pavement. I ride 350 mi a week on pavement. I thnk I had about 3000? on this one. I could be wrong.

New tire is a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T in 140/80-18.

Kilroy_1911 screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 08:35 AM
Kilroy_1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #60337
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy_1911 View Post
Bit of a long winded post, so bear with me. On the way home from "work" I decided to turn off on a road I have never been on before. About 2 miles down I pass a Minimum Maintenance sign. That means "this road is fun." So I turn the bike around and had the most fun I have ever had on this bike. It was all rocks headed downhill, ranging in size from gravel to pumpkin/watermelon size. I scraped the bottom of the bike. At the bottom of the hill were two mud holes. After that, regular gravel begins. So I turned around and played macho hill climber, which was a little more wild than I expected. Perhaps I'll take pics next time I stop by.
Down hill and rocks in Kansas? you Sure you didn't take the long way home though Colorado Sounds like a fun road. 3000 miles out of your Shinko sounds about right from other reports I've seen.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #60338
Kilroy_1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Down hill and rocks in Kansas? you Sure you didn't take the long way home though Colorado Sounds like a fun road. 3000 miles out of your Shinko sounds about right from other reports I've seen.
I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #60339
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
Wheelied over a pot hole, just a blip of throttle to lift the front end, enough to clear the pot hole and Johnny law happened to be behind me. Ticket for careless and imprudent, but officer I was being careful and prudent as to not nose dive and wipeout.... Ticket issued, court date next month, any pointers?
First ticket, moving or otherwise in over ten years!
I did the same thing about 20 years ago cost me $500 and 2 points on my license. Tell the judge the truth, maybe he'll be lenient. Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #60340
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself.
If you are going to be riding rocks you may want to consider a good skid plate. I'd also recommend the stator cover guard like from Manracks http://www.manracks.com/#!honda-xr650l/c108q
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #60341
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammel View Post
I did the same thing about 20 years ago cost me $500 and 2 points on my license. Tell the judge the truth, maybe he'll be lenient. Good Luck.
I got a ticket for unsafe lane change in the SF North Bay for moving from being in front of a car that was driving about a foot off my rear tire, officer did not care the least. He claimed I did not signal for long enough before the move, it is always just assumed you are just a liar.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #60342
Kilroy_1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
If you are going to be riding rocks you may want to consider a good skid plate. I'd also recommend the stator cover guard like from Manracks http://www.manracks.com/#!honda-xr650l/c108q
I do need both of those items.
I've already poked a hole in the stator cover. JB Weld is all that's keeping oil in.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #60343
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Kenny,

This is an excellent video. Great riding, and great editing.

You really shouldn't chew up picnic tables like that, but everything else was A+.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #60344
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,322
Not me,dont even know any of them, just thought you guys would enjoy watching a talented rider on a XRL.

But thanks for the vote of confidence

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #60345
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

New tire is a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T in 140/80-18.
I run the same Scorpion. I hate it. Useless off road. (Slides well, but no grip.) I will change to something else sometime soon.