Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #60496
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Hi All,
I moved to Halifax Nova Scotia last month and I finally got the bike out. Peggys Cove is 30 miles from my house and will probably be my stress ride loop. Twisty coastal roads....Stop by if you are ever up this way!

I don't think I'll be up there on my XRL but I am hoping to ride up there this summer on my beemer. Beautiful place!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #60497
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,436
Is it wrong to

Use somebody elses bearings? The one in the rigt side case I got seem nice and tight. No slop. The main bearing in my old case is actually "loose" in the case. Comes out with just a slight tap. Im thinking Im just going to use the bearings that came in the new used case unless theer is a reason why I shouldnt

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #60498
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Don't forget the BMW Pride of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I have a bevy of bikes including a large ADV bike that is real nice for long stretches of byways. But my XR will go everywhere the big bike will... but not vice-versa.

Don't diss the big bikes. Mine did well in Death Valley!
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #60499
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Use somebody elses bearings? The one in the rigt side case I got seem nice and tight. No slop. The main bearing in my old case is actually "loose" in the case. Comes out with just a slight tap. Im thinking Im just going to use the bearings that came in the new used case unless theer is a reason why I shouldnt

Use the ones in the new used case,,same same,,,,,,good to go..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #60500
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
"Doing well" in DV is like saying you survived, which is not the same as being well suited. And DV has very little in the realm of offroad challenge, unless you include judicious fuel conservation.

"Well-rounded" is a very subjective term for dual-sports, and there are always cases to be made that one is better in a certain range than another, but saying your GS "did well in Death Valley" is like saying my trials bike did well getting me to the corner store & back. The location doesn't represent the category very well.

That being said, I envy GS owners and the range of capabilities they have available (many of which my 'L can't touch).
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #60501
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Use the ones in the new used case,,same same,,,,,,good to go..

B

Hey I found my old CDI today too

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #60502
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
My apologies. No disrespect meant. In fact after owning the XR, I've got more respect for them than ever. I realized just what a challenge it is to ride a big bike like that in anything unpaved. I realized that when/if I get a GS someday, dirt will be the exception, not the rule.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #60503
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Hey it's the guy with the blue handguards.

Just giving you a hard time. Your bike looks just like mine sans the distinctive handguards of course.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #60504
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:

hey i found my old cdi today too
and.........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #60505
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

well im on vacation this week so im only working 3 out of the 7 days...I may have time to get to the post office tomorrow

Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #60506
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
"Doing well" in DV is like saying you survived, which is not the same as being well suited. And DV has very little in the realm of offroad challenge, unless you include judicious fuel conservation.

"Well-rounded" is a very subjective term for dual-sports, and there are always cases to be made that one is better in a certain range than another, but saying your GS "did well in Death Valley" is like saying my trials bike did well getting me to the corner store & back. The location doesn't represent the category very well.

That being said, I envy GS owners and the range of capabilities they have available (many of which my 'L can't touch).
I've observed allot of rider have both the XR and GS so there's a link there.

As Jimmy Lewis said in not exacting terms "the bike is capable, it's the riders' skill."

Yeah I survived it allright and many a times I wished I had my XR but I had to haul my camping stuff there and opted the GS. Next year though the XR is rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
My apologies. No disrespect meant. In fact after owning the XR, I've got more respect for them than ever. I realized just what a challenge it is to ride a big bike like that in anything unpaved. I realized that when/if I get a GS someday, dirt will be the exception, not the rule.

RZ Rob
No worries, just adding input. I'm digging my GS and XR. My XR is needing the love it deserves though. Now that I have a formal garage I'm gonna tear it down it start up fresh this winter. I'm having electrical issues (which I may post on later to sort) so my GS is my rider now.

With that said I've had a love hate relationship with my XR but I don't think I'd ever part with it.
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #60507
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Install new bearings. Put low strength Lock Tite all around the bore of the loose one.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #60508
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
OK 2 things, This piston has 5 or 6k miles on it. Is teh carbon buildup normal? Too rich or something else all frigged up. Second whats the best way to clean it or should I just leave it alone before I screw it up?
Thanks Guys
Rich. What jets are you running?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #60509
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Rich. What jets are you running?
whatever the daves mod is.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #60510
Kilroy_1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Does anybody have an extra clutch lever barrel adjuster to sell me, or perhaps point me in a more economical direction? Parts 22 and 28 on the diagram. I seemed to have misplaced mine somehow and the slack is almost as irritating as the rattle of the lever.

I could buy them new from bikebandit, but $18 for $0.25 cents worth of parts is a little ridiculous, even for me.

Kilroy_1911 is offline   Reply With Quote