Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #60586
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I tried it with the lip towards the crank and gear facing the cover. I found the chain rubs the drive gear that way, so did this guy http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676313

This vid shows it with the lip facing away from the crank too, as well as any other pictures and vids that I was able to locate

GOOD TO KNOW,,,,i thought i was losing it,,,,more than usual anyway

But i think they upgraded the pic of this in the manual in 1995 from my 1993 manual in my findings due to the crappy pic in the earlier manuals...my 95-2004 manual has a real good pic..but i still don`t trust manuals....i`ve had issues with this manual before..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 04:34 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #60587
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
B,

I'm not trying to piss you off. Even if I wanted to...

The gear has a spacer on one side. That spacer or collar goes towards the engine case and the gear teeth are away from the case.
The powerband is installed backwards.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #60588
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
The powerband is installed backwards.
Smarten up........

The powerband has a 13 spline 40mm hole in one end and a 23 spline 30mm hole in the other.......you can`t put it on wrong even while drinkin,,i tried.......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #60589
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
hmmmmmmmm..never heard of anyone with a bad reg yet,,this`ll be a first...i`d go OE...i`d never put anything but on these bikes as the charging is usually bulletproof...

B
I'll take another stab at troubleshooting the charging system. Voltage drops as RPM's increase and the battery isn't getting charged as the bike runs. Thanks.
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #60590
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
I'll take another stab at troubleshooting the charging system. Voltage drops as RPM's increase and the battery isn't getting charged as the bike runs. Thanks.
Interesting. Of course you've triple-checked connections and grounds. I'd especially check the plug coming off the motor (stator). What you're describing was exactly what my Aprilia did when the stator packed it's bags. When I pulled it off to have a look, it was visibly toasted - as was the plug going to the reg. I've fried an RZ stator before from too many farkles (heated grips etc.)vrunning for too long.

RZ Rob

RZRob screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 06:07 AM
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #60591
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I was looking at the XCMH as the next front tire to try ,
Have you tried a Surge I front tire? I would like to hear how you think that compares with the XCMH and the Scorpion Pro, traction wise.

(RZRob) the damper looks good, I really like mine.

No, I have only run the stockers, MT-21s, XCMH, the old MT18HD, the terrorflex, and the one scorp on the front.

I have been out once this year, in may, I do not think I'll need to replace my worn tires anytime soon.

I was always used to riding alone, then I had a few years where folks were actually going out and riding, got used to company, now no one else goes out anymore- or at least doesn't tell me ahead of time.
So, I haven't gotten back to just going out when I have a chance vs. saving my opportunities for when there's a group ride.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #60592
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Interesting. Of course you've triple-checked connections and grounds. I'd especially check the plug coming off the motor (stator). What you're describing was exactly what my Aprilia did when the stator packed it's bags. When I pulled it off to have a look, it was visibly toasted - as was the plug going to the reg. I've fried an RZ stator before from too many farkles (heated grips etc.)vrunning for too long.

RZ Rob

Single checked but I'm heading to the lab now. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #60593
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
I`ve heard of 2 guys that blamed the reg for not charging,,,,,,,,,but eventually found the ground under the seat was the issue,,just sayin...

B
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #60594
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I`ve heard of 2 guys that blamed the reg for not charging,,,,,,,,,but eventually found the ground under the seat was the issue,,just sayin...

B
Yeah Checked that TFL. It was fastened but had some corrosion. I removed the bolt and used 230 sandpaper to clean the connection. I just went over the bike checking the grounds and everything looks clean, wires are intact, no pinching identified. I'll spent more time to review again, button the bike back up and conduct more testing. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #60595
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,621
Quote:
I tried it with the lip towards the crank and gear facing the cover. I found the chain rubs the drive gear that way, so did this guy http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676313

This vid shows it with the lip facing away from the crank too, as well as any other pictures and vids that I was able to locate

At the 2:50 mark he put the pulse generator rotor on backwards, didn't he? The nub should be located away from the cam chain, or it won't trigger the pulse generator.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 10:30 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #60596
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Glad to hear it. 2 more months to Roosie elk season, no?
Been too busy to think about hunting season lately... 9 hour work days with a 45 minute commute one-way makes it more like 11 hours total. Not a great schedule, but getting lots of good experience working for BLM, maintaining OHV trails, and getting paid to ride them too!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #60597
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
BTW the regulator does its job by 'eating' any extra power.

If it is doing that at all, it should get at least warm.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #60598
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
At the 2:50 mark he put the pulse generator rotor on backwards, didn't he? The the nub should be located away from the cam chain, or it won't trigger the pulse generator.

Spud
I would say yes
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #60599
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

I`ve had 1 person here and 2 at TT that put the pulse gen rotor on backwards and couldn`t figure out why it would not start...i now have a picture in PB to show them what they did wrong

B
Old 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #60600
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:

B
That 6mm ground lug has gotten me a couple times. That's why I too mentioned to start with that.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote