User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #60601
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
Sutton Oil Cooler oil capacity

I know this has probably been answered before, but anyway, how much more oil is needed after installing the Sutton Oil Cooler? When refilling, doing oil changes etc.....do you remove the oil cooler and empty it out when doing oil changes?

Getting ready to install mine but was hoping to get these questions answered first...

thanks
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #60602
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I`ve had 1 person here and 2 at TT that put the pulse gen rotor on backwards and couldn`t figure out why it would not start...i now have a picture in PB to show them what they did wrong

B
You don't really need a photo. Assembled wrong, the lug that signals the pick up dose not line up with the pick up.

I don't run a pick up
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #60603
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirkswamper View Post
I know this has probably been answered before, but anyway, how much more oil is needed after installing the Sutton Oil Cooler? When refilling, doing oil changes etc.....do you remove the oil cooler and empty it out when doing oil changes?

Getting ready to install mine but was hoping to get these questions answered first...

thanks

I find at a well drained downtube and engine oil chage i`m putting in almost 2.5 liters of oil...not much oil is in the cooler so don`t worry about draing it during an oil change,,not worth the effort...

Start with adding 2 1/4 quarts...run it on the road for 20 minutes and then recheck,,then you`ll know what you will need changing oil as you do it..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #60604
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You don't really need a photo. Assembled wrong, the lug that signals the pick up dose not line up with the pick up.

I don't run a pick up
I don`t need it........but the person that put it together wrong kinda does don`t ya think..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #60605
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I did not like the scorp pro front- a low-profile dirtbike tire? Super-foldy-knobs?

The XCMH front is better, I think. My current set of tires are the XCMHs. Excellent traction, as always lifespan is the issue.
Well, what can I say - it really works great on the terrain I ride around here. Tracks more predictibly than the MT-21 and D606 fronts, even with a few knobs ripped off. Maybe I'll try the XCMH front when this Scorp Pro wears out. I have time to think about it yet. I think I'll do one more ride on the smooth-in-the-center Scorp Pro rear before mounting the new XCMH waiting. I'm guessing it won't get quite the drive of the Pro, but ought to last propotionately longer. Fritz, that D908RR is a costly bugger. And looking at the tread, it's a bit more of a street tire than I like for propelling me over the stuff here. But if I were doing asphalt, gravel, and light trail, it would look like a winner.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #60606
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,348
So what's the verdict on the camchain gear?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #60607
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,975
Nother day ir 4 i wll finish install
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #60608
nic579
x

Oddometer: 361
FCR-MX Chronicles:
Loaner AFR meter is the only way to jet. Plug chops , I am tempted to purchase this AFR guage and just keep it so its hand. I probably need the slow air screw to cure a lean spot when I drop down to 165 main but have yet to find a way to purchase one as no local shops will deal with SUDCO. I found one place online but will see what my next main jet change tells me.

Lean spot AFR 14.8 to 15.5 is at just cracked throttle and clears at 1/8+ but is worsening as the main size drops, rich on the main now 170 with AFR at 11.4 +- WOT.

Thanks for the feedback on the mirrors going with the Ken Sean.

nic579 screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 05:08 AM
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #60609
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Oil change

Doing an oil change on the bike and left my owners manual at work... When do my changes I follow that to do it... Can someone give me the steps? Do I need to start the bike first and warm up the oil or can I get right at it? Also if someone could give me the torq specs that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #60610
nic579
x

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Doing an oil change on the bike and left my owners manual at work... When do my changes I follow that to do it... Can someone give me the steps? Do I need to start the bike first and warm up the oil or can I get right at it? Also if someone could give me the torq specs that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Cumbacheech
google PDF xr650l service manual
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #60611
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post

Thanks in advance,

Cumbacheech
Here'show I do mine: Warm it up, pull the drain plug in the frame, carefully pull the drain plug on the bottom of the engine so you dont make a mess. Let 'em drain. Loosen up the filter cover bolts... Tip the bike over a bit and pull off the cover. Swap out the filter. Get it in the right way. PAY ATTENTION to how the old one comes out. The filter cover bolts go back on just past snug. Frame and engine plugs a bit tighter (I have never used a torque wrench on oil changes). Pull a valve cap and dump some oil in the hole (makes sure the valves are oiled at start-up. The rest goes in the frame tank. Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it down and check the oil. Add more as needed.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #60612
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Here'show I do mine: Warm it up, pull the drain plug in the frame, carefully pull the drain plug on the bottom of the engine so you dont make a mess. Let 'em drain. Loosen up the filter cover bolts... Tip the bike over a bit and pull off the cover. Swap out the filter. Get it in the right way. PAY ATTENTION to how the old one comes out. The filter cover bolts go back on just past snug. Frame and engine plugs a bit tighter (I have never used a torque wrench on oil changes). Pull a valve cap and dump some oil in the hole (makes sure the valves are oiled at start-up. The rest goes in the frame tank. Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it down and check the oil. Add more as needed.
I also like to spin the motor for a minute with the kill switch off to circulate the new oil .
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #60613
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post

Thanks guys!! I just started to go at it and it all came back to me. Found the torque specs. Used them on the down tube and the crankcase. Used a little past snug on the filter cover bolts. Going to fill with oil start and add if needed. Thanks again!

Cheers

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #60614
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well, what can I say - it really works great on the terrain I ride around here. Tracks more predictibly than the MT-21 and D606 fronts, even with a few knobs ripped off. Maybe I'll try the XCMH front when this Scorp Pro wears out. I have time to think about it yet. I think I'll do one more ride on the smooth-in-the-center Scorp Pro rear before mounting the new XCMH waiting. I'm guessing it won't get quite the drive of the Pro, but ought to last propotionately longer. Fritz, that D908RR is a costly bugger. And looking at the tread, it's a bit more of a street tire than I like for propelling me over the stuff here. But if I were doing asphalt, gravel, and light trail, it would look like a winner.
Yeah it is, but it last twice as long as most other tires. Factor in the mount and balance cost and the time to do it and the 908 comes out ahead cost wise.

Of course a super soft is going to be the best traction and least wear but you will find the 908 an excellent off road tire, especially in lose soils. The wide " Chevy " logo center tread paddles these soils well and takes a lot of street wear. I ran this tire in Colorado over mostly rock for a week and not a nick on it. It grabs wet rock well too.

After a brief trial of the Metzler offerings I've installed a set of Michelin Desert Race on my XRL. Wow, what a dream ride and the handling is phenomenal. Wear is to be determined. Note the Unicross front lasted much longer than the Karoo rear.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #60615
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
BTW the regulator does its job by 'eating' any extra power.

If it is doing that at all, it should get at least warm.
Your description reminds me of Pac-Man.

Chomp, chomp, eat them volts, OH yeah!