Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #60646
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector_dumb View Post
Hey guys - I'm looking on xrsonly for a temp dipstick. The dipstick listed for the XR650L is out of stock, but the one listed for the XR650R is in stock.

Looking at the fische the dipstick part numbers are indeed different between the models. Can anybody confirm that the 'R' stick will or will not work?

Many thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classic...3916523&sr=1-2

I put one of these in the stock dipstick, jbwelded the stem in place and haven't looked back. Many Many HARD miles.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #60647
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classic...3916523&sr=1-2

I put one of these in the stock dipstick, jbwelded the stem in place and haven't looked back. Many Many HARD miles.
220's not high enough.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #60648
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
220's not high enough.
It keeps going.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #60649
joexr
Banned

Quote:
It keeps going.
Till it's cooler again?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #60650
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Do What SpudRider Suggested

I bought the digital temp gauge at Harbor Freight and the red cap off eBay (total investment under $20). I just need to drill the hole. Then I gots digital brotha.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #60651
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I bought the digital temp gauge at Harbor Freight and the red cap off eBay (total investment under $20). I just need to drill the hole. Then I gots digital brotha.

RZ Rob
In decided to avoid the digi because of the battery issue. When the therm is inserted all the way access could be comprimised. 6 / half dozen. Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #60652
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 934
I need a new chain.

What type should I get? I think o ring?

What size?

And how much should it cost?
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #60653
vector_dumb
Happier Here

Oddometer: 136
Yeah, I kind of assumed the dipsticks were different but you never know. One may be stamped with XR650L and the other with XR650R and that might be the only difference. It's been known to happen.

I'm also in the analog camp. I may be going Beechum's route

Beechum - you just jbweld it in where you drilled through the plastic, or did you actually weld the stem to the stick in a spot or two? Also when the thermometer wraps around, do you add the face value to 220 plus some for where the 'F' is (looks like about 7 degrees)?

Thanks

WTB: XR650l parts: Tool bag, rear chain guard. Condition used but decent, price fair.
vector_dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #60654
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post

I need a new chain.

O or X ring. DID or RK. Get the best you can afford. It's money well spent.

110 is the stock length.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #60655
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of assumed the dipsticks were different but you never know. One may be stamped with XR650L and the other with XR650R and that might be the only difference. It's been known to happen.

Beechum - you just jbweld it in where you drilled through the plastic, or did you actually weld the stem to the stick in a spot or two? Also when the thermometer wraps around, do you add the face value to 220 plus some for where the 'F' is (looks like about 7 degrees)?

Thanks
You should be able to find something that goes higher. At least 300. You can find different size faces and stem lenghths.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #60656
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks
I did NOT welded the therm to the dipstick. Because the dipstick is longer, I wanted to know when the oil wasn't touching the thermometer anymore, not the dipstick. It give me an extra .25qt to pay attention before it gets to Honda's "low level."

How I know when the level is low, is at idle. If after the bike is warm, you've shut it off for a few minutes, for a sandwhich beer or snack, and on restart, the temperature gauge does not go back up immediately. The level is lower than the temp gauge.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #60657
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You should be able to find something that goes higher. At least 300. You can find different size faces and stem lenghths.
I read in an article in Dirt Week, by Boyeson, that cyl temps are optimal at no more than 220. This translates to a variation of +-20 degF in oil temp at the head, a few less if at the frame and fewer still if a cooler is involved.

As I understand it.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #60658
joexr
Banned

Quote:
I read in an article in Dirt Week, by Boyeson, that cyl temps are optimal at no more than 220. This translates to a variation of +-20 degF in oil temp at the head, a few less if at the frame and fewer still if a cooler is involved.

As I understand it.
I wasn't saying he should run at or even near 300 , but 220 just isn't high enough. They're not hard to find. I'd be happy if mine ran at 220 with my oil cooler.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #60659
vector_dumb
Happier Here

Oddometer: 136
A quick search on amazon found quite a few that go to higher temp ranges. (Search candy of fryer thermometers). I just need to sort out stem lengths and gauge diameters to make sure it will fit...and read reviews to ensure it isn't a piece of crap.

Beechum - I also dig the 'low oil' indicator concept.

WTB: XR650l parts: Tool bag, rear chain guard. Condition used but decent, price fair.
vector_dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #60660
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
I need a new chain.

What type should I get? I think o ring?

What size?

And how much should it cost?
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xr650l.html#a520x110

... one option and right in your back yard.

15/48 and 112 links has worked for me.