Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #60676
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Here I go again.
Use the biggest sprockets you can to get the desired reduction.
The chain will deflect less around a larger diameter sprocket and wear less as will the sprockets. More teeth to absorb the wear.
So,,,,,,,,,,, 15/51 or 15/65........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #60677
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,926
verdict

or

kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #60678
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post

or

Door # 2

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #60679
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,331
Uh... we may have a problem

That's where I ride... get some friggin water on that will ya!
First reports earlier this afternoon were 50 acres... now reporting 500 acres.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #60680
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,275
Quote:

or

The one that is aligned with the guide.

Et al
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #60681
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 934
What does the great hoard think about master link vs riveting?
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #60682
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
First off, whether you use clip style or rivet style, they are both master links. When you buy the chain it will probably come with a clip style master link. Every one I have bought did anyway. If you want a rivet style link, your probably going to have to order one. I have had two chains break. Both broke on a clip style master link. I now have the jumbo chain tool that I linked to earlier and use rivet style mast links. Whichever style link you decide to use, I recommend carrying a spare master link or two and maybe a short chunk of chain in your tool bag. (It's a good use for that clip style link that come with the new chain.)

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #60683
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
...Anyone have a favorite chain breaker?
I really like my Harbor Freight chain breaker.

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...ker-66488.html

Use a 20 percent off coupon, and get that chain breaker for $13.59.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #60684
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I always use a clip-style master link, and I haven't had any problems. However, I defer to Walter; the rivet master link should never fail under any circumstances.

I bought the following tool on eBay to help seat the cover link on the master link before I attach the clip. However, this tool will also break chains, and rivet master links.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chain-Breake...c61332&vxp=mtr

This tool is identical to the Motion Pro Chain Breaking and Riveting Tool, part #08-0058, which retails for $94.99. However, you can buy the eBay tool for $30.99, delivered. The eBay tool doesn't come with instructions, but you can use the Motion Pro instructions, which are available in PDF form at the following link.

https://9007c0109a70412e8f84-17cbb53...58_10.2010.pdf

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 12:11 AM
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #60685
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Uh... we may have a problem

That's where I ride... get some friggin water on that will ya!
First reports earlier this afternoon were 50 acres... now reporting 500 acres.
That's too bad, Red. I hope we don't have as many fires as we did last year.

Spud
Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #60686
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
i guy the RK GB520GXW now because it comes with a rivet link,,,it`s staying on till it`s worn out anyway,,why not rivet it and be done with it,,i`ve had clip types start to get loose,,YMMV........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #60687
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 547
Clip

Just a reminder, If running a clip, make absolutely sure you pay attention to the rotation of the chain in regards to the "open" end of the clip. You know what I mean!
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #60688
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Yup,,i was runnimng 15/48 last week at 5 on the adjusters.....i`m running 14/48 right now..i like it better........

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Here I go again.
Use the biggest sprockets you can to get the desired reduction.
The chain will deflect less around a larger diameter sprocket and wear less as will the sprockets. More teeth to absorb the wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
So,,,,,,,,,,, 15/51 or 15/65........

B
Brian,
I ran 14/48 for a long time. It seemed like the best compromise after early on trying 15/48 because I ride a bit of backroads to get to the trails. While 15/48 was definitely nicer to the engine on the roads, I preferred the better gear choices of 14/48 offroad. When local inmate bwalsh came up with a 50 tooth rear he wanted to sell, I figured here's my chance to get a tad higher than 14/48 and not have to pound my chain around the tighter front sprocket. I really like the 15/50 gearing best now, it's still great offroad, and makes the road ride just a little more tolerable. If you're only riding offroad, you may want to try what's available in the neighborhood of a 52 or 54.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #60689
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

Et al
Quote:

Just confirming timing chain sprocket is on the right way

So The way I had it then

kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #60690
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
First off, whether you use clip style or rivet style, they are both master links. When you buy the chain it will probably come with a clip style master link. Every one I have bought did anyway. If you want a rivet style link, your probably going to have to order one. I have had two chains break. Both broke on a clip style master link. I now have the jumbo chain tool that I linked to earlier and use rivet style mast links. Whichever style link you decide to use, I recommend carrying a spare master link or two and maybe a short chunk of chain in your tool bag. (It's a good use for that clip style link that come with the new chain.)

Walter
I've only had a chain break once, and it was just another link, a few links away from the master link. There's no strength difference between either type of link. The potential issue with a clip-type is losing the clip from having it catch just right on something while moving the chain backwards, something I haven't had happen yet, but I prefer the convenience of clip-style. I also have both style tools you posted, motion pro breaker and RK excel kit, plus the one Fritz posted. I find I need to compress the rubber rings in the clip-style to get the plate to clear the slots in the pins in order to slide the clip on. That also keeps a pressure on the clip making it that much more difficult to remove, whether intentionally or unintentionally. The kit has the necessary plates to facilitate this. Excellent advice to carry "a spare master link or two and maybe a short chunk of chain" along with the chain tool. If it hadn't been for one passerby to have a chain tool and a fellow rider to have a spare master link when my chain broke, I would have had to make arrangements to come back for my bike. For carrying on the trail, I choose the smaller breaker and then concern myself with installing the rubber rings once returned home.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote