Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #60691
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Brian,
I ran 14/48 for a long time. It seemed like the best compromise after early on trying 15/48 because I ride a bit of backroads to get to the trails. While 15/48 was definitely nicer to the engine on the roads, I preferred the better gear choices of 14/48 offroad. When local inmate bwalsh came up with a 50 tooth rear he wanted to sell, I figured here's my chance to get a tad higher than 14/48 and not have to pound my chain around the tighter front sprocket. I really like the 15/50 gearing best now, it's still great offroad, and makes the road ride just a little more tolerable. If you're only riding offroad, you may want to try what's available in the neighborhood of a 52 or 54.
I`m running the FMX650 overdrive fifth,,,so i can go higher than 15/50 if i want,,with the 14/48 i have now it`s decent.........15/48 is too high,,lugs in fifth at anything below 60mph.......

So...i may,,at the next chain swap.....go higher on both sprockets..maybe 15/51 or a little higher...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #60692
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Not sure what's inside but the super motor I got from MrFixit I am running 15/45 & does everything well for me.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #60693
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Not sure what's inside but the super motor I got from MrFixit I am running 15/45 & does everything well for me.
With the overdrive gear i found 15/45 was WAY too tall........don`t think you`d ever hit the top of that gearing..even ith all the work i had done.......but really,that`s the whole reason for installing the overdrive 5th.....so you can gear low for trails..and cruise the highway at decent speeds..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 10:14 AM
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #60694
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
There are a few rules you need to follow with clip type master links, particularly for O-ring chains.

1) If the side plate does not need to be pressed on, the link is no good. Set it aside as an emergency easy-to-get-on field repair link.

2) Side plate closed end towards the leading edge of travel

3) 'Sharp' side of the clip towards the outside. Do this with all snap-rings, too, sharper edge to take the force.

4) after getting the clip on and making sure it really is on all the way make sure the clip ends are not spread.

5) make sure the side-plate is tight against the clip, there must be no gap between clip and side plate. If there is use the puller to pull the side plate against the clip (do not push the clip in, pull the sideplate out). If you do this and the side plate is now loose, the master link is no good.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #60695
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I`m running the FMX650 overdrive fifth,,,so i can go higher than 15/50 if i want,,with the 14/48 i have now it`s decent.........15/48 is too high,,lugs in fifth at anything below 60mph.......

So...i may,,at the next chain swap.....go higher on both sprockets..maybe 15/51 or a little higher...

B
Right on, you've got the higher fifth! I bet that's great. With that, I'd go lower than that, depending on what's available, say 15/55 to 15/60. But I don't see where to get sprockets that large so if not then maybe 14/50. Nothing wrong wtih having more gear options on the trail, and still be able to cruise along the roads and defend yourself from the traffic.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #60696
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
...2) RETENTION CLIP closed end towards the leading edge of travel....
All those rules make it sound hard, but it's really just common sense. And the rivet-style master links take more effort to make right.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #60697
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
now there`s a bright freeking bunch.........they say 110 links is stock from 93-2000............but 2001 up is 120 links.......

Someone smokin a little weed there me thinks......
Whoopsee, major typo there! Good thing the internet police are workin' overtime.

And yes, all we do in Oregon is smoke pot, drink micro-brews and ride our BMW's to Starbucks!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #60698
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Whoopsee, major typo there! Good thing the internet police are workin' overtime.

And yes, all we do in Oregon is smoke pot, drink micro-brews and ride our BMW's to Starbucks!
While riding i hope,,,best not waste a good buzz

B
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #60699
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
... And yes, all we do in Oregon is smoke pot, drink micro-brews and ride our BMW's to Starbucks!
Fine, I'll make plans to move there.

Quote:
While riding i hope,,,best not waste a good buzz B
Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #60700
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Fine, I'll make plans to move there.

Yeah,,we`re in.....about 6 of us all hammered up racing an unknown trail,,what could happen

B
Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #60701
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Yeah,,we`re in.....about 6 of us all hammered up racing an unknown trail,,what could happen
Someone would put an eye out.... but the rest of us would just point and laugh.... then eat some Twinkies.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #60702
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Everything has a price...
Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #60703
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

If it`s all in fun........it`s worth it i think

B
Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #60704
nic579
x

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
There are a few rules you need to follow with clip type master links, particularly for O-ring chains.

1) If the side plate does not need to be pressed on, the link is no good. Set it aside as an emergency easy-to-get-on field repair link.

2) Side plate closed end towards the leading edge of travel

3) 'Sharp' side of the clip towards the outside. Do this with all snap-rings, too, sharper edge to take the force.

4) after getting the clip on and making sure it really is on all the way make sure the clip ends are not spread.

5) make sure the side-plate is tight against the clip, there must be no gap between clip and side plate. If there is use the puller to pull the side plate against the clip (do not push the clip in, pull the sideplate out). If you do this and the side plate is now loose, the master link is no good.

For good measure I silicone the clip once its all proper, I have never had a master clip fail of any type.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #60705
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
If it`s all in fun........it`s worth it i think
B
As long as nobody dies in the process!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
For good measure I silicone the clip once its all proper, I have never had a master clip fail of any type.
Could braze it on for even better measure.

Fritz doesn't run master links - or so I suspect.