Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #61276
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
all of them are teh same part # BULB (14V 3.4W)
37237-SA5-003
Awesome, thank you! Hope you don't mind me using your quote in my sig...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #61277
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,672
Semper Fi Brother!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #61278
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Semper Fi Brother!
Semper Fi!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #61279
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
OK guys need help diagnosing stator coil check. I disconnected the stator coil harness; there are 3 male wires in the harness, and a separate green wire with a red stripe connected to the same color wire.

The Haynes manual suggests a reading of 0.19-0.23 ohms, and a secondary resistance reading (the secondary which I don't understand).

Anyhow, set the multimeter to 20k ohm's. I probed one of the 3 wires with the positive lead, then attached the negative probe to each of the remaining two. I alternated the positive probe on each of the 3 terminals. I didn't get a reading on any of the connections. Free of any connections the meter read 1_.__.

Has anyone performed a stator coil check?
Does the motor need to be running?
prince_ruben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #61280
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
OK guys need help diagnosing stator coil check. I disconnected the stator coil harness; there are 3 male wires in the harness, and a separate green wire with a red stripe connected to the same color wire.

The Haynes manual suggests a reading of 0.19-0.23 ohms, and a secondary resistance reading (the secondary which I don't understand).

Anyhow, set the multimeter to 20k ohm's. I probed one of the 3 wires with the positive lead, then attached the negative probe to each of the remaining two. I alternated the positive probe on each of the 3 terminals. I didn't get a reading on any of the connections. Free of any connections the meter read 1_.__.

Your trying to get a reading of about 1/4 ohm with your meter set to read 20,000 ohms. Set the meter to it's lowest ohm setting and try again.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #61281
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Cool. But your gonna have to start in Miami Beach...
Remember... I will cheat
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #61282
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post

Yeah like Walter says unless you have an autoranging meter set the meter to it`s lowest reading probably 200ohms...

The reading "1" means open curcuit,no continuity..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #61283
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Went to pick up my suspension from Fran today and ended up ordering a heavier (than stock) shock spring cause I am going to carry luggage after all. Selling the BMW so the XR is going to pull some adv duty for a little while. Ordered side racks and an enduro tank bag from Wolfman, and a windscreen from Procycle. I'll hold off on installing the Tubliss for now cause it does throw off balance of the wheel a bit. I did already remove the stock trailwings but they are so new I suppose I'll just spoon 'em back on and run 'em till they're shot. They seemed fine for road and gravel and as long as it's somewhat dry in the woods they shouldn't be too bad.
The best thing I found to balance my tubliss stuff was dyna beads. They work great and they are easy to install.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #61284
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Couldn't tell ya. The owners of the shop do a lot of adventure riding. I'm searching for more miles out of a rear tire that is still fairly aggressive. I think I'm going to trying the Mefo Super Explorer next. Spendy, but a great tire from what I hear.
I had a Mefo explorers for a while, they wore like iron. It was great on the road and dry pack, but as soon as you hit some mud

I understand the trade off between getting high miles out of a tire or better grip, it was just really surprising how bad that tire was in the mud compared to everywhere else that it performed great.

FWIW, the area I was slipping and sliding all over the damn place was in a forest and the ground was usually covered in leaves so that didn't help much either. Bottom line, if you don't ride a lot of mud or don't mind picking the bike up, I would recommend it because of the mileage I got out of them which was around 5000 miles (3/4 of that was on road) if I remember right.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #61285
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Anyone get a 140/80-18 Mefo Super Explorer to fit on an XRL?
Yes, I've got a Pirelli Scorpion 140/80-18 on there now.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #61286
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I had a Mefo explorers for a while, they wore like iron. It was great on the road and dry pack, but as soon as you hit some mud

I understand the trade off between getting high miles out of a tire or better grip, it was just really surprising how bad that tire was in the mud compared to everywhere else that it performed great.

FWIW, the area I was slipping and sliding all over the damn place was in a forest and the ground was usually covered in leaves so that didn't help much either. Bottom line, if you don't ride a lot of mud or don't mind picking the bike up, I would recommend it because of the mileage I got out of them which was around 5000 miles (3/4 of that was on road) if I remember right.

-Barron
Thanks Barron! I commute on mine quite a bit and do a good amount of gravel. Do some dirt, and mud pretty rarely. I'm still waiting to see how many miles I get out of my rear IRC TR8 Battle Rally. I have 2k on the set now and the front still looks like new and the rear is probably at 50%. And the price for both TR8's is less than just the rear Mefo... Still might try the Mefo rear (don't like the look of the front Mefo, not aggressive enough).
Quote:
Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #61287
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
D-606 rear. Great when new, good when almost worn out. Don't think there is better on the rear for the L? 130/90/18. 120/90/18 for me not as good.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #61288
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Thanks Barron! I commute on mine quite a bit and do a good amount of gravel. Do some dirt, and mud pretty rarely. I'm still waiting to see how many miles I get out of my rear IRC TR8 Battle Rally. I have 2k on the set now and the front still looks like new and the rear is probably at 50%. And the price for both TR8's is less than just the rear Mefo... Still might try the Mefo rear (don't like the look of the front Mefo, not aggressive enough).
One thing I wish I would have done earlier in it's life was "rotate" the front tire. I got some really bad cupping from stopping or whatever causes it and turning it around would have fixed it.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #61289
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Your trying to get a reading of about 1/4 ohm with your meter set to read 20,000 ohms. Set the meter to it's lowest ohm setting and try again.

Walter
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Yeah like Walter says unless you have an autoranging meter set the meter to it`s lowest reading probably 200ohms...

The reading "1" means open curcuit,no continuity..

B
Righteous. I switched the parameters, performed the check, and it's within spec. Thanks dudes.
prince_ruben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #61290
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by red rider 391 View Post
4 of them , for two XR 650 L "s ,one rear for a klr 650 . I started at 5 last night ,Got done at 1 am .A round 3 hours , of tire work ! Had to go get the tires and take them off to . Plus had to wait for my buddy to get home from work ,11 . Two trips to town . A big thanks to Ryan for helpin with that Kawi tire ( tough to get off bead ) Now , we just gotta ride . Never tryed Shinko's before , The 705's look ok . All three of us are going to run different psi . My buddy on the Kawi ,Run's almost 40 . My other bud ,likes 35 . I'm goning to run 32 psi ,both front and rear . , I was just reading about some rider getting a 140 x 18 to fit a XR 650 L . The only size i could get was a 120 / 18 in the 705 rear tire . The next size up was a 150 . I just removed a kenda 5.10 /18 , It rubbed the top chain guide , no biggie . but 2500 miles is all i got out of it ! Would really like to use a Kawi rear rim ,laced up to my hub ! Its wider and i could get any size i wanted . Bikes already lowered , front and back . My xr eats tires a little faster then the Kawi . I wonder how many miles i'll get out of the 705 shinko's ?

A bit late to this but my XR650L had new 705s on it when I bought it. I don't think you will get 6K Kilometers out of the rear much less 6K miles. I got less than 3K miles outta my rear 705,,,, matter of fact, I think it was around 2.5K miles. I've run a lot of 705s as I have run quite a few on my DL650 and my wife's Ascot so I do like them in certain applications but I hated them on the XR. I think part of the really crappy wear we see on the rear is due to the lack of a cush drive. And yes, I think your average XR650L rider is prolly a bit rougher on tires than your average GS650 rider. But,,,,, there are always anomalies and outliers.

If running anything other than knobbies, I would much rather run a Kenda 270 rear/Shinko 244 front combo as I got about the same life, roughly the same on tarmac performance and much better off tarmac manners than the 705s.

I prefer the Shinko 244 over the Kenda 270 on the front because the Kenda has real tall side knobs that flex bad when in the twisties and it's not very confidence inspiring when playing tag with sportbikes. The lack of the tall side knobs on the 244 isn't noticeable off tarmac. So the 244 has better manners on the street and it's roughly the same off tarmac.

I prefer the 270 over the 244 on the rear because I've had three 244s literally shed their center knobs {one shed only 3, one shed quite a few more, all in a row!} while I've never had a 270 do that.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote