Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #61651
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
You could click the contact info and find the email address ignitech@ignitech.cz

Simply tell them what you want, paypal the cash, and happy you are.
I run three of their units, the one for the KLR is to special order since the Gen II KLR was never sold in Europe so they didn't have any data, neither electrical nor anything else.
I provided wiring diagram, pictures of connector, rotor diameter and lobe size. They did their magic and nailed it. Me happy.
That's cool; I'd just be a lot more comfortable doing business with a domestic distributor where I'd have some recourse. But hey, no risk - no adventure!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #61652
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
nope
didn't fit
I tried "persuading" it so much that I could barely get the damn thing off
f- it
I'll run the bike till the CDI craps out then get rid of it
I thought Honda's were reliable?
I suppose if -you- can't do it, it can't be done....

Hey, there's nothing wrong with getting a little help with things now and then. It can be enlightening to learn new stuff.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #61653
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
I don't know who was asking for a clarks gas cap gasket her it is a link. They only cost $6.30. http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=496

Ben99r1 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 04:33 AM
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #61654
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I suppose if -you- can't do it, it can't be done....

Hey, there's nothing wrong with getting a little help with things now and then. It can be enlightening to learn new stuff.
Thanks,
I suffer with some mental stuff. Motorcycles might be a trigger. I hate spending hard earned money on a brand new bike only to read here that it is going to break down or chew up a C/S.
I just sold my BMW because of a few issues.
I should just stick with bicycles
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #61655
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
Kushsprockets.com Anyone?
I've been watching these guys for quite a while and it looks like they're finally starting to ship product. If they work and stay together they'll be way cool - assuming that they expand the range of sizes available for the XRL.

I got tired of waiting and started adapting a KLR 650 cush hub to my XRL. I'm cutting spacers today and if nothing goes awry I'll be done this afternoon. Here's a teaser pic - bearing pocket deepened 3.5mm, new snap ring groove cut, sprocket shoulder cut 3mm deeper, 5mm removed from the left edge in order to get the sprocket to align w/ the front XRR sprocket.

It's a non-trivial project and lots of metal needs to be removed to get everything to fit and line up properly. If the Kush sprockets turn out to be a technically feasible alternative I'll be kicking myself in the ass for even starting down this road. Oh well.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:25 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #61656
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Quote:
Thanks,
I suffer with some mental stuff. Motorcycles might be a trigger. I hate spending hard earned money on a brand new bike only to read here that it is going to break down or chew up a C/S.
No one has a shorter fuze or is more impatient than me - so this mechanical stuff is pretty good therapy.

On the subject of the counter shaft sprocket - I've been using Primary Drive sprockets from about the 1500 mile mark. They're not going to go on at all without relieving the back side (stepped side actually) so that there's about 11mm measured from the flat (outer) side of the sprocket to the bevel on the stepped side. My guess is that almost all of the other sprockets require some massaging in order to fit without force.

I use a 45 degree double-cut carbide bur to cut the bevel since these sprockets are extremely hard. This is a good excuse to get that Dremel or that die grinder that you've always wanted. Oh... be sure to wear eye protection.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #61657
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Smoking is probably not the valves. Rings maybe.

I might have a big tank. I'll have to check.

Shell Rotella 15/40 in my favorite flavor oil.
Thanks for the reply MCMA. I was wondering rings, but given that there's no smoke at start up and it only happens when motor's hot and at decel, I was thinking more a valve issue. But I'm no good at diagnosing these things.

Either way, a valve check looks easy on these bikes, so it's probably due.

I don't know Rotella. I'll look it up. And if you do have a tank you want to get rid of cheap (I don't care how it looks, as long as it's solid and no leaks) let me know. Thanks!
SUVslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #61658
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
No one has a shorter fuze or is more impatient than me - so this mechanical stuff is pretty good therapy.

On the subject of the counter shaft sprocket - I've been using Primary Drive sprockets from about the 1500 mile mark. They're not going to go on at all without relieving the back side (stepped side actually) so that there's about 11mm measured from the flat (outer) side of the sprocket to the bevel on the stepped side. My guess is that almost all of the other sprockets require some massaging in order to fit without force.

I use a 45 degree double-cut carbide bur to cut the bevel since these sprockets are extremely hard. This is a good excuse to get that Dremel or that die grinder that you've always wanted. Oh... be sure to wear eye protection.
I was thinking of taking the dremel to the bevel area and working it a bit to see if that works.
Does that sound right?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #61659
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Quote:
I was thinking of taking the dremel to the bevel area and working it a bit to see if that works.
Does that sound right?
Lemme' go take a picture of a 14 tooth PD sprocket that I just removed. I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

Time passes....

OK, I'm back. Here's a shot of what I did with a carbide bur -

OK, I cheated a bit by using a mill to hold the bur and a rotary table to turn the sprocket but you get the same effect with a hand-held grinder. The trick is to paint the splines with layout fluid or a black Sharpie, lay the sprocket flat side down on a counter top and scribe the splines with a scriber and your 6" steel rule. Then you cut down to the scribe marks with the carbide bur - and it takes carbide to cut these damned things. Oh, and WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

One of the down-sides of using these sprockets, however, is that the front sprocket's center line is now outside of the rear sprocket's center line by 1 to 2 mm. Here's how this sprocket wore in about 3000 miles. The wear was likely accentuated by the fact that there are an even number of chain links and an even number of sprocket teeth.

On another note, while I was working on the KLR 650 cush hub project from hell I took the time to cut out some 1mm 2024-T3 aluminum spacers in order to shift the stock wheel's rear sprocket to the left. Look closely and you can see them -

It took just 1mm to get the sprocket center lines aligned on my XRL, which should reduce the wear on the outboard XRR sprocket faces. If the Kush sprockets pan out then offsetting them like this and using an XRR front sprocket may be the way to go to get the benefits of an actual cush hub and preserve your output shaft splines - without dropping a ton of cash.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:31 AM
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #61660
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
Kushsprockets.com Anyone?
Guy on TT is running one now,,no issue yet.......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #61661
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Thanks,
The countershaft will last years if you lube the splines and keep the chain loose,most issues are from overtight chains........the XRR sprocket is a preventative measure only.......and will be easier on the shaft in the future..

The CDI will also last years,,carrying a spare after a bunch of miles is just cheap insuarance against pushing a 325 pound pig out of the woods,,,,,

Neither MUST be done.but are issues as miles are added up...

ALL bikes have issues,,,some alot worse than a 25 dollar sprocket and 100 dollar CDI.........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 09:57 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #61662
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 639
i have read about a few folks running them
I just ordered an 14 t xrr sprocket myself to get the longer spline engagement

i have noticed on this bike that bouncing between coast and throttle at low RPM's seems jerky and that must bounce off the CS splines specially with a loosere tolerance gear to spline fit ?
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #61663
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Just finished mounting up the KLR 650 cush hub to Piggy Sue, who shall henceforth be known as FrankenPig.

To make a long and boring story short and to the point - it was a major pain in the ass. If you're bound and determined to have a cush hub for your pig I recommend that you either pop for the RAD Manufacturing product or spend way less on the Kush sprocket assuming that it works as advertised.

The KLR hub, in my opinion, has some "features" that make it unsuitable for anything other than light street duty. Had I not seen a picture of a KLR / XRL transplant done by someone else I wouldn't have jumped into this with both feet. I may take a look at a friend's DR650 rear wheel just for the hell of it - not that I'm eager to do this again tomorrow.

My $.02 worth of advice.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 08:13 AM
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #61664
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
The countershaft will last years if you lube the splines and keep the chain loose,most issues are from overtight chains........the XRR sprocket is a preventative measure only.......and will be easier on the shaft in the future..

The CDI will also last years,,carrying a spare after a bunch of miles is just cheap insuarance against pushing a 325 pound pig out of the woods,,,,,

Neither MUST be done.but are issues as miles are added up...

ALL bikes have issues,,,some alot worse than a 25 dollar sprocket and 100 dollar CDI.........

B
I got the sprocket to go on. I ground down the chamfer with my dremel and then tapped it lightly on with the ball peen. It definitely did not come out looking factory, but it does fit. It'll be ok, right?
I hope I can get the bastard off when time comes to replace it.

Thanks Tech:)
Old 08-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #61665
cowboy7900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
XRL to Alaska?

So my wife and I are planing to go to Alaska from Milwaukee starting in June of '14, and coming home in August. She rides a DR650 that is well set up for a trip like this. I have a '01 XR650L that is in need of an engine rebuild. I plan on returning the engine to stock as I have no idea what the previous owner has done in side. If I were to completely rebuild the engine, would this bike be a good choice for the ride? Or would I be better off getting a DR650 and then setting it up? My only concern is the mileage in between gas. Currently I hit reserve at 180 miles with the Accerbis 6 gallon tank and stock gearing. Which is about 40mpg mostly cruising between 45 and 65. If I return the engine to stock, what kind of mileage (with a light hand on the throttle) can I expect. It's a hard question to answer, but I know some people here have taken long trips on their XRL's and may be able to give me an estimate of what they got. I love this bike because it does everything I ask of it, but if it's not the right bike for the trip I don't want to regret it later. Thanks for all the great info on this thread.
cowboy7900 is offline   Reply With Quote