Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #61966
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

Well I made it about 6 miles past this sign. Then the bike just died. When I get it and myself back home, the bike will get fixed, then probably traded in on something more reliable. I won't be doing anymore long multi-state trips on this one.

Walter

What the hell.........any idea why it died Walter???????? you getting another XRL?????? That just sucks..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #61967
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
What the hell.........any idea why it died Walter???????? you getting another XRL?????? That just sucks..

B
I pulled the valve cover far enough to see, a cam sprocket bolt badly battered and shorn and laying on the cam chain tensioner, the cam sprocket no longer up on it's step, and cam chain off of the sprocket. The cam chain tensioner looks pretty torn up. At that point I put the valve cover back on and started looking for a cheap truck.

No I won't be getting another XRL. This is the second time this bike has stranded me a long ways from home. the first was in 2009 near Louisville KT, with a broken valve seat. The problem now is on a long trip on a XRL I will always be wondering when the next thump will be the last thump. The NC700X is starting to look pretty attractive, or maybe I should just fix one of my BMW airhead projects.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #61968
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
I pulled the valve cover far enough to see, a cam sprocket bolt badly battered and shorn and laying on the cam chain tensioner, the cam sprocket no longer up on it's step, and cam chain off of the sprocket. The cam chain tensioner looks pretty torn up. At that point I put the valve cover back on and started looking for a cheap truck.

No I won't be getting another XRL. This is the second time this bike has stranded me a long ways from home. the first was in 2009 near Louisville KT, with a broken valve seat. The problem now is on a long trip on a XRL I will always be wondering when the next thump will be the last thump. The NC700X is starting to look pretty attractive, or maybe I should just fix one of my BMW airhead projects.

Walter
What's your mileage now?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #61969
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
What's your mileage now?

Walter
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #61970
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:

Walter
And you're upset over two major failures?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #61971
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,386
Sounds like your camchain turned loose (tensioner failure?) and tore everything up. I am not sure that the RFVC single is up to long stretches of buzzing along the Interstate. If I was going to strike out for a cross country trip, I would probably look to something with a wide ratio gearbox and radiators. I can't bring myself to type the three letters that come to mind.
Quote:

Walter
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #61972
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Walter I am very sorry to hear of your L's failure, but I imagine there are few bikes that will go where, as far, as the L will reliably will. All machines will fail. It's just when and how. It looks like your failure was a result of too many miles of vibration. Perhaps some red Loctite would have prevented it? I know the L would be my first choice for a muli-state ride with very much slab involved, but when I want to thrash through the woods with provisions attached, it's at the top of the list.

The valve seats dropping is one of the few catastrophic failures the L has. The other being the CDI, but that shouldn't be stranding. The valve seat failure can be prevented to a large extent by keep temps. low or by a rebuild. 30,000 miles is a lot of miles on a single. I would say the car multiplier is at least 5, maybe more.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #61973
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Sounds like your camchain turned loose (tensioner failure?) and tore everything up. I am not sure that the RFVC single is up to long stretches of buzzing along the Interstate. If I was going to strike out for a cross country trip, I would probably look to something with a wide ratio gearbox and radiators. I can't bring myself to type the three letters that come to mind.
German or Austrian?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #61974
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,106
Quote:

Walter
Crap. You could/should have put out an SOS. I have everything needed to repair your engine sitting on the shelf. I could have next day'd it to you.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #61975
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:

Walter

Sorry to hear that Walter.........i would never take my bike on really long trips myself.......i just don`t think they are made to do this..i would want a twin at least.with better luggage capacity.i know alot of guys have put on tons of miles doing it,but i don`t think it`s the right weapon to continually do it time and time again...

Really sorry to hear it buggered up your trip,but the cam sprocket bolts should never come loose on these as they show locktite required per the manuals directions..this instance is a fluke i think...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #61976
red rider 391
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:

Walter
Wow ! Thats a lot of miles ! Walter , you are a brave man .
red rider 391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #61977
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Crap. You could/should have put out an SOS. I have everything needed to repair your engine sitting on the shelf. I could have next day'd it to you.
Steve are these an interference engine in stock trim? I'm thinking not, but am not positive on that. Assuming that I don't need to worry about bent valves, I have everything I need to fix the engine. It's just not here. The bigger problem with fixing it here is a dry place to work, and time. Where I am staying they don't have a garage, and the weather is turning damp. But it's not all bad, I get to see the new Grandson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I would probably look to something with a wide ratio gearbox and radiators. I can't bring myself to type the three letters that come to mind.
No I am not going to get a klr! They have more problems than a XRL IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Walter I am very sorry to hear of your L's failure, but I imagine there are few bikes that will go where, as far, as the L will reliably will. All machines will fail. It's just when and how. It looks like your failure was a result of too many miles of vibration. Perhaps some red Loctite would have prevented it? I know the L would be my first choice for a muli-state ride with very much slab involved, but when I want to thrash through the woods with provisions attached, it's at the top of the list.

The valve seats dropping is one of the few catastrophic failures the L has. The other being the CDI, but that shouldn't be stranding. The valve seat failure can be prevented to a large extent by keep temps. low or by a rebuild. 30,000 miles is a lot of miles on a single. I would say the car multiplier is at least 5, maybe more.
I know all machines will fail. The problem is this one has taken a liking to doing it when I'm a long ways from home. I may end up keeping this one. The odd of getting much for it with 92K showing on the odometer don't seem very high to me. Still I don't see myself going very far out of OR. with it in the future. I'll be saving my pennies for something more reliable for the longer trips.

Walter
Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #61978
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
DR vs XR

I went from a DR650 to a XR650L and noticed a lot of differences. I initially bought a DR because every long trip I took on the FJR I hit dirt roads. Heck, I think I have up near 1K miles of dirt road mileage on that FJR!

I had never had a big single and I thought the DR would offer the ability to ride to Alaska then work pretty well on the dirt roads both maintained and not-so maintained. Well, it can do what I was asking of it but it's just not happy at it,,,,,, least in the application I was asking of it at the time.

So,,,, I bought a DL650 to take the role of Adv Tourer and after a lot of modification,,,, it fits the bill nearly perfectly for me. But then I had a FJR, a DL650 and a DR so I wanted something more dirt oriented than the DR but something I could still hit up say 200 odd miles on the Hwy getting to the fun stuff. At the time, I was really bugged about getting a bike with more of a wide ratio tranny as my DR's was pretty close and that forced me to swap front sprocket because the trails I was riding needed more gearing but running the gearing I wanted {even at that, I was left wanting for more gear} left me with a 60mph cruise speed. It was also heavy and yes, I know, the XR is heavy too but less is less and even 25lbs means a lot if you are constantly heaving it up.

I wanted a Husky TE610 {for that great wide ratio gear box} but at the time, they were going for nearly twice what I got my modded XR650L for. While researching I found that the XR offered the widest gear box of the big bore Jap bikes and there was the FMX 5th that would make it even wider. I found that the XR had a huge aftermarket too.

So,,,,, a combo of price, wide ratio tranny, dirt ability, long production run, reliability, easily adjusted valves all factored in me deciding to replace the DR with a XR650L rather than the TE610 or the DRZ400 or even the XR650R.

After buying the XR I noticed it worked much better than the DR in rougher stuff. Road manners of the XR was worse compared to the DR in spite of the wider gearing because the DR didn't vibrate quite as bad. To be honest, the DR had more get up and go which surprised me. I figured the XR would be slightly faster due to roughly the same power and slightly less weight but nope,,,, the DR was faster and smoother.

If I were choosing today, I would buy a TE610 since the price diff isn't near as much. If I were choosing between the DR and XR,,,,, I would still choose the XR because I do a lot rougher off road now and my XR beats my DR in that stuff. That's if I were buying used. If I were buying new,,,,, I might be willing to try out that new Christini AWD.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #61979
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Sorry to hear that Walter.........i would never take my bike on really long trips myself.......i just don`t think they are made to do this..i would want a twin at least.with better luggage capacity.i know alot of guys have put on tons of miles doing it,but i don`t think it`s the right weapon to continually do it time and time again...

Really sorry to hear it buggered up your trip,but the cam sprocket bolts should never come loose on these as they show locktite required per the manuals directions..this instance is a fluke i think...

B
I did put Honda's brand of thread lock on those bolts. Maybe I didn't get enough on.

I'm of the opinion now also that an XRL if the wrong weapon for extended trips. Maybe if one has an open ended time frame, and can afford to stay in one place until it's fixed, it would be ok. I'll be looking for something with more than one cylinder, and light enough to handle gravel roads. Like I said before the NC700X is looking attractive.

Walter
Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #61980
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rider 391 View Post
Wow ! Thats a lot of miles ! Walter , you are a brave man .
Some would say stupid

Walter