User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #61981
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Walter,

Yes depending on the position of the cam the valves could hit the piston.

You having the parts to fix the motor isn't helpful if the parts are at home.

I have a complete top end ready to hit the road. Head, loaded rocker cover, cam, chain, sprocket, bolts, tensioner and chain guides.

Hell, I have a complete motor if that's needed.

Dump it in a Rubbermaid tote and BOOM, On it's way.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #61982
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
I did put Honda's brand of thread lock on those bolts. Maybe I didn't get enough on.

I'm of the opinion now also that an XRL if the wrong weapon for extended trips. Maybe if one has an open ended time frame, and can afford to stay in one place until it's fixed, it would be ok. I'll be looking for something with more than one cylinder, and light enough to handle gravel roads. Like I said before the NC700X is looking attractive.

Walter

Ive been thinking about the NC700x as well. Post up if you go that route
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #61983
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
I did put Honda's brand of thread lock on those bolts. Maybe I didn't get enough on.

I'm of the opinion now also that an XRL if the wrong weapon for extended trips. Maybe if one has an open ended time frame, and can afford to stay in one place until it's fixed, it would be ok. I'll be looking for something with more than one cylinder, and light enough to handle gravel roads. Like I said before the NC700X is looking attractive.

Walter

Have you checked out the CB500X?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #61984
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Man! Getting the horror stories right before I go looking at an XR.
Maybe I should go back over to the DR thread and read the arguements about jetting carbs? LOL.
DaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #61985
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Have you checked out the CB500X?
I think the XR guys would break that bike in half in a week.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #61986
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHunter View Post
Man! Getting the horror stories right before I go looking at an XR.
Just don't buy any XR's with 90,000+ miles and you'll be fine...

Walter, sorry to hear about your troubles so far from home. I hope you get it sorted quickly and that it doesn't spoil your trip.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #61987
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Just don't buy any XR's with 90,000+ miles and you'll be fine...

Walter, sorry to hear about your troubles so far from home. I hope you get it sorted quickly and that it doesn't spoil your trip.
I'm getting a little bummed going to look at one with 14k. Shouldn't spend so much time on the internet, but that's what work is for? internet surfing. LOL.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #61988
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
I'm getting a little bummed going to look at one with 14k. Shouldn't spend so much time on the internet, but that's what work is for? internet surfing. LOL.
I bought mine with just under 25k on it for $1,500 a year ago. Put about 5k miles on it since then with no problems except for a little oil burning on a hot day during my 45 mile commute at 65mph+

If I were to do it again I'd save up a bit more and wait for a good deal on a newer, lower mileage XR. I was just impatient and found one in my price range.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #61989
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I bought mine with just under 25k on it for $1,500 a year ago. Put about 5k miles on it since then with no problems except for a little oil burning on a hot day during my 45 mile commute at 65mph+

If I were to do it again I'd save up a bit more and wait for a good deal on a newer, lower mileage XR. I was just impatient and found one in my price range.
I bought my first one ('99) for $900 with low miles but wasted top end (cam, rockers, chain). I fixed it and rode the piss out of it until a freshy ('06) came along at a good deal. It's my new pride and joy and I just transferred farkles and resumed thrashing. I've yet to do a big adventure on the new one.

RZ Rob

RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #61990
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

You just totally described me to a tee. Impatient and broke! I really didn't think that in the teens k mileage was that high on these things. From the 1990's. A '94, that's 19 YO at 1k a year would be 19k. I bet I ride my bicycle that miles a year. I kind of expected bikes more like 30-35k miles this old. Those must be the dead ones! I'm feeling like a total slacker I only rode the ST 4k this year. Turns out that's a huge year on a XR? One of my first questions here, but now the real truth comes out. These bikes actually do die off early in miles? Just really strange thinking this way for me. I've gone to meet ups with ST's and guys have damn near 200,000 miles on them.
Thank for the price point as well. That helps. I'm going to look at it today. If he is within a couple 100 $, and it doesn't sound or drive like total junk, I'll prob buy it. Might be a big mistake??
I think my biggest mistake will be the XR/ DR being my only bike. Really seems these class of bikes are not up to being daily drivers. If you can't ride it, what's the point?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #61991
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Some would say stupid

Walter
Not really, I have 104,000 on mine. Did the same thing as yours at 92,000. Dropped a valve seat. Id put a new top end, not a rebuild, but bought new head,cam, rockers and new cylinder and piston.New bearings in the bottom end. Now have 12,000 miles on the new and it runs like a new one and spent a lot less money than buying something else. I ride freeway eyery day to and from work and trust it completely. Plus I ride trails on the weekend. Off for a three day camping and riding this weekend.
If done right I feel this bike is as good as any in it's class and will go the distance. I'm planning a long ride through the West come next May and will ride this bike. Love this thing!
Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #61992
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Not really, I have 104,000 on mine. I ride freeway eyery day
When I was in Hawaii I noticed the slow pace and signs on the freeway saying "Minimum Speed 35MPH." In So Cal, it's 80+. That may have helped you break the 100K mark. Just saying...

RZ Rob
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #61993
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
Turns out that's a huge year on a XR?
I rode mine almost every day for over 3 years averaging 1,000 miles a month with ZERO issues. Now at 40,000+ miles it needs a little attention paid to the decompression mechanism in the head and it uses a little more oil than it used to. Still has plenty of "get up and go"! But yeah, I'll probably freshen up the engine while I have it apart...
If you are having doubts about the XR you should probably look at another bike. You'll always have that doubt in the back of your mind and probably won't enjoy the bike as much.
BUT...Look at how many folks post on this thread, then look at the percentage of those who have severe engine problems. Not many.

Good luck with your decision!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #61994
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
When I was in Hawaii I noticed the slow pace and signs on the freeway saying "Minimum Speed 35MPH." In So Cal, it's 80+. That may have helped you break the 100K mark. Just saying...

RZ Rob
Not sure if I get one it's going to see much freeway. Freeway speeds here are an honest 80 MPH sometimes, until you are parked on them. My Civic has trouble keeping up on the hills when traffic is flying. Secondary roads in CT are slow, however. Most are marked 35 or 45 so most folks are under 60 MPH. The nice thing is, most drivers in all of New England suck! I was going to pick on Mass but the whole area has stupid drivers. Probably not much of that in CA.

It's kind of weird being here in the morning!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #61995
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
... It's kind of weird being here in the morning!
You are not alone...

The XRL is not a bad backroads bike at all. On the fairly tight and narrow paved twisties it can make as good a time as a sport bike, even with knobbies, and then when you hit the gravel the thing really shines and the sport bikes turn back. Spinning the rear wheel at 75 in top gear is not a problem. It can sail over large potholes at that speed, too - ones that would incapacitate a sport bike. Slows and stops surprisingly well, too. It's thrilling to carve the backroads, both paved and gravel/dirt, with the XRL.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote