User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #61996
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
DEI Exhaust Wrap

I got tired of burning holes in all my pants so I finally did something about it:

I put DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap on it. Stuff says it specifically cures this problem.

Here's what I used. I bought the 30' x 1" "Titanium" and the 8" stainless zip ties - via Amazon.

I had to pull the pipe to wrap it. I used a vise-mounted large socket and wrapped duct tape until the pipe fit snug. Instead of the zip ties, I used one of the FMF heat guard clamps and another similar one on the other end to hold the wrap. I overlapped a little more than you need to, but I wanted the problem cured.

I intended all along to do my CRF pipe too. On the CRF I may realize performance benefits as well as cure the burning pants issue.

I used the stainless ties on this bike.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #61997
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I can post as an owner now.
DaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #61998
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,421

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #61999
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHunter View Post
I'm getting a little bummed going to look at one with 14k. Shouldn't spend so much time on the internet, but that's what work is for? internet surfing. LOL.
Hey Dave, I bought my 97 Xr650L in 2007 it had 18,000 miles on it. I got it for $1300. The reason for the good price was because of cosmetic reason. It use to live by the beach and it was always parked outside. the salt air and sun ate away at the plastic and pain. So it didn't look that great but it is a good motor. I put 44,000 miles on it before I did the top end. and the only reason I did it was because it was starting to smoke at start up. Once I opened it up I could of just replace the valve seats. But I figured if I was in the motor I would just freshen it up a bit. Don't be afraid of a bike with miles in the teens.
Ben99r1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #62000
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Congrats. These bikes will go to at least 14K miles before they start falling apart. How many miles does yours have?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #62001
jarhead251
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 38
[QUOTE=RZRob;22220149]I got tired of burning holes in all my pants so I finally did something about it:

I put DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap on it. Stuff says it specifically cures this problem.

I used the exact same stuff on mine, picked up from the local auto parts store. I used safety wire to secure mine in 4 places. I have not noticed much of the "performance" gains, but it keeps my leg from burning for sure, and looks good too. I used the 2 inch, but plan on using the 1 inch when it wears out.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness." Ronald Regan
jarhead251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #62002
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Congrats. These bikes will go to at least 14K miles before they start falling apart. How many miles does yours have?

RZ Rob
Thanks man. U R a real funny dude. 14,600. Livin' on borrowed time already! Only a couple parts fell off on the test ride. OK. 3.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #62003
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,533
Quote:

Hey Rob - nice job on those wraps. Good shots and nice bikes, too.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #62004
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Not as nice as any of your guys bikes, but it's going to blow up at anytime now anyway.

DaveHunter screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 08:40 PM
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #62005
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:

RZ Rob

Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #62006
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,421
Quote:

Not as nice as any of your guys bikes, but it's going to blow up at anytime now anyway.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #62007
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:

RZ Rob
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #62008
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:

Looks good to me! Doesn't matter how it looks as long as it does what you want it to. Mine ended up all black because the previous owner started painting all the plastics black and it just looked funny with the few white pieces left... I like it! Looks pretty nice all black (in my opinion) but it isn't as recognizable as an XR anymore.

Mine next to a friend's...

Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #62009
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 399
Front wheel bearing failure

I noticed some weird 'clicking' in the handlebars as I was braking and turning. I could feel it and hear it. First I thought maybe I had eaten through a brake pad. As I was pulling the pads, I noticed a gap between the speedo gear and wheel hub, and the wheel could be shifted up and down on the axle. I figured it had to be the wheel bearing. Sho' nuff, the right side bearing had grenaded, taking the speedo gear along with it. It was an All-Balls sealed bearing less than a year old. I have been stuck in mud with the axles submerged twice in the past few months. Maybe that did it. The bearing on the left side was fine.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I rode it last weekend on a motocross track for the first time in years. Perhaps that was too much for the old girl! (I know, not the right weapon for the job, but hey, you ride what you have.) Where are you guys finding the cheapest OEM parts these days?

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #62010
DaveHunter
Adventurer

@ brown falcon. Black looks good with the silver frame. Not so sure with the white? Pretty sure mine is not getting painted anytime soon or ever.

I think I will get one of those pieces for the left engine case for the shift lever to bash into after seeing JB weld at work on another post.
I'm going to drop it.

I might buy a front brake rotor for it. I'll ride it a bit more first. Little bit of a surge. Not horrible. Might just live with it.

Looking into a seat mod. That less than $200 one. Probably will do that soon. Stock seat is pretty beat. Think I should stay with red?

I want to up the generator output for my Gerbing. Maybe grip heaters. Going to change out the grips. Already have some of those $7 ones on hand. Same ones on my ST.

Maybe a bash plate for the front of the motor.

I have to give CT DMV money first thing Tuesday.