Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #62056
Break_Syncro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyman87 View Post
I checked them when I first got the bike 3500 miles ago, only one exhaust valve was off .001 but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check them again. The bike has done this ever since I purchased it, it just didn't really bother me until i got near a rock wall. Now I listen for it and obsess over it and I'm not so sure its normal. I don't really wanna pay a shop to fix it if its something I can fix. Finding it is the problem so far.

Hey Grizzlyman87, have you find the reason for the intermittent tapping, sounding like a loose rocker arm on a valve? I got that too, and I'm wondering of you had narrow down the cause, that wouls guide me!

Thanks!
'95 XR650L - Dave's Mod and de-smogged, XRs Only header with XR600R muffler , XRs Only temp gauge, Twin air filter, CRF USD Fork with RSW clamps, Acerbis CRF vented front fender, MSR brush and hand guards, Trail Tech temp gauge, Acerbis 5.8 gal tank, XR400R oil cooler, D606 tires for dirt! Excel sumo wheel ! EBC 320mm Sumo front rotor for street carnage! Thanks to you all the your help!
Break_Syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #62057
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
So your front has about 4k on it? How much life left? How smooth is it on pavement and on faster paved turns? My TR8's are scary feeling on hard turns because they feel so bumpy...
I don't think you will be disappointed with the MT21. I put one on the front for better traction in the dirt. It performed to my expectations in the dirt, but what surprised me was how well it handled on the street. I have yet to have a "pucker" moment with this tire in a turn.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #62058
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post

]
I'm curious how its working out with the Acerbis tank and the turn signals in the stock location? I just mounted an Acerbis and the stock mounts severely limit the turn radius, I relocated them and now my bars will go full lock.

As a side note, folks installing the 5.8 almost always complain about trying to stretch that Mo-Fo over the frame... No difference here, but I looped straps around the two sides, pulled them out about 2 inches and left it that way for a few days. It was then only a minor bitch to get over the spine and frame pucks.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #62059
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I'm curious how its working out with the Acerbis tank and the turn signals in the stock location? I just mounted an Acerbis and the stock mounts severely limit the turn radius, I relocated them and now my bars will go full lock.

As a side note, folks installing the 5.8 almost always complain about trying to stretch that Mo-Fo over the frame... No difference here, but I looped straps around the two sides, pulled them out about 2 inches and left it that way for a few days. It was then only a minor bitch to get over the spine and frame pucks.
It's been fine so far. I tested and they clear it by about a mm at full lock. To get mine to fit over the frame I sucked it down onto the bike with ratchet straps and kept cranking down until the brackets lined up with the points on the frame.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #62060
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsone View Post
Can a rev limiter be put on a xr650l? Just playin with the idea in my head.
The programable Ignitech.cz CDIs have one...
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #62061
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
I don't think you will be disappointed with the MT21. I put one on the front for better traction in the dirt. It performed to my expectations in the dirt, but what surprised me was how well it handled on the street. I have yet to have a "pucker" moment with this tire in a turn.
Good to hear. I enjoy carving the corners when I'm out on the street, and even though most of my riding is pavement, I want have tires that are good in the dirt as well.
I'll be going with a Mefo Explorer rear, which is more of a 50/50 tire and looks like it will perform well offroad, but the matching front doesn't seem aggressive enough to do well off pavement so I am looking for a better alternative.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #62062
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It doesn't feel like a knobbie until you are almost to a stop. It seems smoother running on pavement than a D606. I can't talk much to speed in corners and such as I take it pretty easy cornering the big ole girl on the street. It probably has another two seasons on it (if I get off my butt and flip it around).
Flip it quick Wayne.........mine was chewed some and i flipped it,,now it really howls...i should have gotten to it earlier i guess

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #62063
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsone View Post
Can a rev limiter be put on a xr650l? Just playin with the idea in my head.
You could use an automotive one. Check out Jeg's and Summit.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #62064
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,923
Quote:
That's the rumor. The engine runs out of juice well before you hit the rev limit, so I don't know of anyone who has actually run up into the rev limiter.
Who wants to pin theirs in neutral to put this rumor to rest?

: hide
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #62065
jarhead251
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 38
Rev limiter

[QUOTE=kenny61;22230742]Who wants to pin theirs in neutral to put this rumor to rest?

Its there, I've done it. First time I did it I missed 3rd gear and heard the limiter. The second time I did it, I was in neutral with the bike running while I washed it. I was revving it up and held it wide open for about 4 seconds to scare some neighborhood kids who were making dirt bike noises while riding their scooters.
The limiter is so high that I cant imagine ever hitting it under normal use, there is no power up there and you should be in the next gear well before hitting it.
“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness." Ronald Regan
jarhead251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #62066
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Who wants to pin theirs in neutral to put this rumor to rest?

: hide
I've gotten it on good authority HERE that there is no revlimiter.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #62067
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Flip it quick Wayne.........mine was chewed some and i flipped it,,now it really howls...i should have gotten to it earlier i guess

B
I am probably too late
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #62068
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
I am probably too late
I eat at least 1 front and 2 rears a year.......im on number 2 rear..front should be replaced,,it`s only money right

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #62069
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
My current set up both d606's
Front approx 4500 mi

Rear approx 1800 mi
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/02/nuru4yre.jpg[/IMG
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #62070
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer