Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #62176
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
that almost reads like 6 psi is required ?
the manual states something to the effect of "STD= 0 psi max= 6 PSI "

I haven't messes with mine much since such a small psi is a pain regulate and to equalize
I was looking for a balance tube
I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the front dive
Reduce the air gap in the forks to reduce front end dive. Also check your rear spring settings. It could have too much pre load or the stock spring has been replaced with a higher capacity spring. Both of these conditions over load the front suspension and cause the front end to dive and wash out in turns.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #62177
LtsGoRyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Don't mean to but in...Longtime Lurker here....

I've read from start to about page 2095, and felt a bit possessed to try and catch up to current page, but felt as if I continued, I might need to seek counseling....So I stopped.... I now have a issue with the BRP. I'm seekin advice from the gurus here. It starts great, idles great, runs like a rapped ape for about 20 or so minutes. Then while running down the road at normal operating temp(bout 215 to 225 degrees)(no smoke at any time) it will start to cut out all of the sudden, then motor will die.....Pull clutch and coast to a stop. If you try to start up right away, it will not start. If you wait a bit for normal operating temp to drop it will fire up right away, idle no problem. As soon as you get back up to normal operating temp on the road for a few minutes, it does the exact same thing.

Fuel has good flow, it's fresh, carb is clean, good fat spark, Battery good, no frayed wires...I don't know. I recall reading about CDI problems, and even a super nice guy repairing some. Mine CDI has never been replaced, and probably has about 8 to 9K miles on it. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.
LtsGoRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #62178
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtsGoRyd View Post
I've read from start to about page 2095, and felt a bit possessed to try and catch up to current page, but felt as if I continued, I might need to seek counseling....So I stopped.... I now have a issue with the BRP. I'm seekin advice from the gurus here. It starts great, idles great, runs like a rapped ape for about 20 or so minutes. Then while running down the road at normal operating temp(bout 215 to 225 degrees)(no smoke at any time) it will start to cut out all of the sudden, then motor will die.....Pull clutch and coast to a stop. If you try to start up right away, it will not start. If you wait a bit for normal operating temp to drop it will fire up right away, idle no problem. As soon as you get back up to normal operating temp on the road for a few minutes, it does the exact same thing.

Fuel has good flow, it's fresh, carb is clean, good fat spark, Battery good, no frayed wires...I don't know. I recall reading about CDI problems, and even a super nice guy repairing some. Mine CDI has never been replaced, and probably has about 8 to 9K miles on it. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.
Damn, you live in Front Royal eh? I'm over off of Rivermont Dr. neighbor! If you want to ride together, with a spare parts bike, let me know. I also have a spare CDI to swap in to confrim one way or the other.

I'll send you a PM.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #62179
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:

I'm betting your CDI unit is failing. You can rap the back of the it with a screwdriver the next time it fails; if the bike starts up you have confirmed the problem. However, I suggest you get a new CDI unit even before you "test" the old one; every XR650L owner should have a spare CDI unit.

Brian, a.k.a. Techforlife, is the "super nice guy" who repairs CDI units. You might enjoy reading his thread on the subject at the following link.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/881...lp-cdi-repair/

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #62180
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Cdi,cdi,cdi!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #62181
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Cdi,cdi,cdi!!
What I want to know is, why do we continue to call the Ignition Control Module(ICM) a CDI?

002 MODULE, IGN CONT
30410-MN9-000

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...04&fveh=132657

Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #62182
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,672
Because if we type ICM The NSA may come knocking looking for that inter continental missle

Plus i hear icm's have rev limiters
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #62183
LtsGoRyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
You guys are awesome....

Thanks for quick response. You guys are on it like stink on, well you know... So I guess my next question is....anybody got a good spare ICM,CDI they wood like to get rid of? Just give a shout. Any and all other suggestions are welcome. keep'm coming I'm all's. joe

LtsGoRyd screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 11:51 AM
LtsGoRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #62184
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
What I want to know is, why do we continue to call the Ignition Control Module(ICM) a CDI?

002MODULE, IGN CONT
30410-MN9-000

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...04&fveh=132657
Habit Besides were just old XRL motorcycle riders anyway Well most of us anyway Not technical engineers
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #62185
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Because if we type ICM The NSA may come knocking looking for that inter continental missle

Did Fritz get a hold of Kenny61's user account info?

That's ICBM...Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, not ICM.

Quote:
Thanks for quick response. You guys are on it like stink on, well you know... So I guess my next question is....anybody got a good spare ICM,CDI they wood like to get rid of? Just give a shout. Any and all other suggestions are welcome. keep'm coming I'm all's. joe
Make sure that's whats wrong first before you do like I did, buy one then find out that's not the issue...
If you need one I'll sell you the spare one I have.

Then mine is sure to crap out.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #62186
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:

I know, but it wouldn't work done correctly
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #62187
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:

Make sure that's whats wrong first before you do like I did, buy one then find out that's not the issue...
If you need one I'll sell you the spare one I have.

Then mine is sure to crap out.
What ended up being the issue?
DaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #62188
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

On mine it was a bad connection at the coil
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #62189
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:

thanks for asking. I think i've got a similar prob. Rode the bike around 10 miles or so to buy it just Friday and it ran perfect. Ran it a little bit in the development over the weekend because i wasn't legal. ran great.

Today I get legal and it quit on me a couple of times. Just like you describe. One time it was pretty hard to start, like getting no spark. when "something" changed she fired right off.

Man. Is it damn fun on the back rutted roads. I went thru some holes today that would have killed my street bike. I found a couple dirt road just a few miles from the house i didn't even know were there before.
DaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #62190
jarhead251
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post

You stirring the pot?
“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness." Ronald Regan
jarhead251 is offline   Reply With Quote