Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #62776
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
Thanks for the link. I was unable to find that one earlier in my searches. Wonder what those blue things are?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #62777
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That sounds like a business opportunity!
Is it unreasonable to order that swingarm slider and have it delivered there?
I'm sure you could make "something" but would take some effort and appropriate material to make something good and reliable.
Buddy of mine is in the US for another week and going to carry it back. He's actually one of the 5 owners of the bike :)
Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #62778
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Just speaking from my own experience, co. man.
How much oil vapor being pushed up and out the tube is a function of how much "blow-by" any particular engine allows. It's handy not having to oil the Uni but if it's too much it can condense in sufficient quantity as to overflow the airbox and exit the drip tube onto the garage floor (or wherever) after a good ride.
A small amount of the oil vapor may be pushed out from blow by , but MOST of it is from 650cc of air displacement every time the piston goes up and down.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #62779
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I had one of those, same side, courtesy of some drunk bitch climbing on my bike...and falling right over(along with my Shoei XR1000).

Like OnO said, get some bark busters(along with a new lever), problem solved! Some bark busters require you to cut the ball off the levers to work.

PBOB, There's not much "mist" by the time it gets to the air box. Just drops of oil. It would leave a small puddle of oil in the bottom of the box and start leaking out the drain tube. It was off the bike when I purchased it. I put it back on after about 6 months. No more air box mess!
Trackside shortie levers from Cyclegear for an XR250. You won't have to remove your balls.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #62780
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
A small amount of the oil vapor may be pushed out from blow by , but MOST of it is from 650cc of air displacement every time the piston goes up and down.
That's why they call it a breather tube. There's something alive down in those cases.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #62781
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Hard to get things like that where I live. No Home Depot here :)

This is what I need. Hard to tell from the photo. But it is a loop of plastic that wraps around the swing arm.

Ulyses made his out of nylon laminate, or something like a Derlin cutting board.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1295
Might be something to keep in mind and probably easier to find a cutting board then a thick piece of rubber.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #62782
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I was unable to find that one earlier in my searches. Wonder what those blue things are?
Here's another link...

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...04&fveh=132657

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #62783
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Believe what you will; I maintain that the air displacement due to piston movement simply moves back and forth in the tube - no net movement.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #62784
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Ulyses made his out of nylon laminate, or something like a Derlin cutting board.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1295
Might be something to keep in mind and probably easier to find a cutting board then a thick piece of rubber.
Seems like he discovered it wasn't a long-term solution, though. Alvincullumyork - is that still on there?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #62785
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Believe what you will; I maintain that the air displacement due to piston movement simply moves back and forth in the tube - no net movement.
Exactly. 650cc in and 650cc out , back and forth continuously. Considerably more volume than the tube and oil separater.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #62786
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,571
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Hard to get things like that where I live. No Home Depot here :)

This is what I need. Hard to tell from the photo. But it is a loop of plastic that wraps around the swing arm.

+1 on chopping up a plastic cutting board to make a slider. I made this from a plastic sheet very similar to a cutting board. Used a band saw to carve it out. A heat gun to bend.

There is a slight problem with plastic though, it will last forever but is very noisy.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 03:43 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #62787
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
It's not the instantaneous flow of air at any given snapshot of time that causes oil vapor to work its way up and out the tube and into the airbox, but rather the average movement. All net mass exiting the top of the vent tube is a result of blow-by since in the absence of such there would be no average movement. Unless there is some malfuction allowing other air into the crankcase. Each piston stroke is followed by an equal and opposite stroke, resulting in a "vibration" of air mass in the tube, not net migration.

What have you done to our buddy OFFandON?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 09-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #62788
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post

What have you done to our buddy OFFandON?
I thought it was NOWandTHEN.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #62789
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Exactly. 650cc in and 650cc out , back and forth continuously. Considerably more volume than the tube and oil separater.
Makes sense. But ancdotal evidence seems to disprove intuition: 1) if you feel near the end of the long tube in the airbox while the engine's running, it won't seem like that much air pumping, especially when revving to cruising rpms. And 2) when I put in new rings, it cut the oil condensation considerably. Perhaps there's some air compression due to inertia and flow restriction going on.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #62790
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Makes sense. But ancdotal evidence seems to disprove intuition: 1) if you feel near the end of the long tube in the airbox while the engine's running, it won't seem like that much air pumping, especially when revving to cruising rpms. And 2) when I put in new rings, it cut the oil condensation considerably. Perhaps there's some air compression due to inertia and flow restriction going on.
You should change your handle.
In fact let's have a Top Ten List for New Handles for OFFandON.
#9 William Buckley 650
#10 Einstein XRL