Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #63781
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Brown Falcon, I mean Mossy Back, can come too if he wants..
I'll do my best! Jackie is super busy with the nursing program so my free time is limited.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #63782
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofdirt View Post
Hi all, I'm looking into getting an XR650L. I have owned many motorbikes and have ridden street and dirt, the adventure riding seems a natural evolution! I am pretty set on getting an XR and am looking for any info I can gather. What years are best? Pros and cons etc...Thank you.
As Spud said, pretty much the same from 1993 through 2013. From what people have said, the 2013's are harder to work on because they changed the carb mixture screw design, but it sounds like you are are probably looking for used anyways.

One of the biggest things to inspect on any XRL is the countershaft splines (pull off the front sprocket). They tend to get worn pretty bad with a stock sprocket (switch to wider 650R sprocket to prevent it) and if the shaft needs to be replaced you have to disassemble the whole engine.

Besides that, I would look for low miles, well taken care of, maybe look for one that is still mostly stock and unmolested (although that depends on if you want to add mods yourself or not).

Pros: Dependable, easy to work on, good low-end power to chug up hills, plenty of aftermarket support/accessories

Cons: Tall (lowering links available), kinda heavy, suspension is a bit soft for bigger riders (I wouldn't know, I'm only 150) but pretty cheap to re-spring the forks (or you can swap in USD's), big gap between 1st and 2nd, 5th gear can be a little short if you gear it for serious trail riding (unless you swap in the 2nd and 5th from a NX650) but I get by fine with a 3 tooth bigger rear sprocket for both highway and trails.
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #63783
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
What no Hawaii? Take the bridge west!
I wish....maybe I'll buy a little rowboat when I get to the Pacific and use the XR to power some sort of propeller...
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #63784
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
I wish....maybe I'll buy a little rowboat when I get to the Pacific and use the XR to power some sort of propeller...
Strap a couple pontoons onto it and put a paddle tire in the back. Plus a big fuel tank and a cooler full of beer! Maybe a fishing pole...
Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #63785
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Looks like you are taking 98 along the Panhandle coast. Very nice ride if you do it on a weekday. Make sure you stop in Apalachicola to eat. Some of the finest seafood, especially if you like oysters. One caution, 98 has a reputation for small town speed traps. Most of 98 is 40-45 mph, so don't venture much over that.

Good luck on your trip back to Oregon!

[QUOTE=Ulyses;22614979]Well, I've decided I'm not staying in Florida. Unfortunately, I bought an XRL down here and instead of shipping it all the way back to where I stash all my other gear when I'm bumming around (Oregon), I'm going to ride. I figure that since I've already logged tons of miles on this type of machine, I shouldn't stop now. However, since it's starting to get a little bit nippy up north, I'm going to stay south all the way to California and then head up the valley to see my bro (Alvincullumyork) for a meeting of XRL's. Brown Falcon, I mean Mossy Back, can come too if he wants..

Here's the general idea for my route:

View Larger Map
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #63786
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Welcome. All model years of the XR650L are virtually the same, except for an occasional change in colors or graphics. The condition of the bike is far more important than the model year.

Spud
I heard (have not confirmed) the saddle was actually a little higher for the first year. Anyone else hear this?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #63787
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,658
Quote:
Well, I've decided I'm not staying in Florida. Unfortunately, I bought an XRL down here and instead of shipping it all the way back to where I stash all my other gear when I'm bumming around (Oregon), I'm going to ride. I figure that since I've already logged tons of miles on this type of machine, I shouldn't stop now. However, since it's starting to get a little bit nippy up north, I'm going to stay south all the way to California and then head up the valley to see my bro (Alvincullumyork) for a meeting of XRL's. Brown Falcon, I mean Mossy Back, can come too if he wants..

Here's the general idea for my route:

View Larger Map

The green letters are places that I'm stopping for certain to see friends and family. However, I would love to meet any inmates, specifically XRL riders, who live along the general area of the route, Hit me up if you want to hang out and grab a beer or other tasty beverage. I should probably buy the drinks as many of you have shown me incredible generosity through donations and/or advice during my Latin American misadventures and my recent XRL purchase.

I'm planning on leaving on Sunday or Monday; it all depends on how fast I can finish adding the heated grips, new muffler, magnetic drain plugs (and oil change), fabricate the DIY temp dipstick, change out the tires, and finish up 10 law school applications....shouldn't be too hard....right......
Hey when in Houston dinner is on me! Try to make it a Tue night as that's when our group meets for dinner. But any time is OK.
I'll PM you details!!!!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #63788
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I heard (have not confirmed) the saddle was actually a little higher for the first year. Anyone else hear this?
I couldn't say on my '93. It did seem very tall but it had a Guts gripper cover/foam on it.
Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #63789
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Hey when in Houston dinner is on me! Try to make it a Tue night as that's when our group meets for dinner. But any time is OK.
I'll PM you details!!!!
I'm going to be in Houston on fri with a buddy of mine. I have a feeling some beveraging will be included. Pm coming.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #63790
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
Looks like you are taking 98 along the Panhandle coast. Very nice ride if you do it on a weekday. Make sure you stop in Apalachicola to eat. Some of the finest seafood, especially if you like oysters. One caution, 98 has a reputation for small town speed traps. Most of 98 is 40-45 mph, so don't venture much over that.

Good luck on your trip back to Oregon!
Hey! Thanks so much! I'm really sorry we didn't get to meet. I can't thank you enough for that new rubber! If you ever ride out west hit me up!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #63791
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I'll PM you details!!!!
For sure! Pm en route...
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #63792
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Running Funny....

Last night I de-smogged and de-snorkled the new (used) XRL. I was already running a Uni foam filter as well. Today I've been out riding it around and it's running really sluggish. It bogs down and coughs a lot at low RPM's and just doesn't seem to have the same pull as it did at high RPM's. Even when I got the bike fairly warmed up (Oil Temp: 215 degrees in reservoir) the throttle was still really unresponsive. Since I haven't done Dave's mod yet, I only turned the mixture screw out 2 full turns (not sure if that was the right idea). Anyone have any suggestions?

Hopefully I'll be doing Dave's Mod tomorrow (if the jets show up) and putting on the FMF pipe on Friday. Maybe that could solve my problems? I'm all ears at this point...
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #63793
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Last night I de-smogged and de-snorkled the new (used) XRL. I was already running a Uni foam filter as well. Today I've been out riding it around and it's running really sluggish. It bogs down and coughs a lot at low RPM's and just doesn't seem to have the same pull as it did at high RPM's. Even when I got the bike fairly warmed up (Oil Temp: 215 degrees in reservoir) the throttle was still really unresponsive. Since I haven't done Dave's mod yet, I only turned the mixture screw out 2 full turns (not sure if that was the right idea). Anyone have any suggestions?

Hopefully I'll be doing Dave's Mod tomorrow (if the jets show up) and putting on the FMF pipe on Friday. Maybe that could solve my problems? I'm all ears at this point...
Just a thought if it was running strong when you got it I would have let it be & loaded up & hit the road
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #63794
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I'm going to be in Houston on fri with a buddy of mine. I have a feeling some beveraging will be included. Pm coming.
Hell yeah, Techforlife style drinking!!!!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 10-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #63795
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
For sure! Pm en route...
Cool!