Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #63796
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Hell yeah, Techforlife style drinking!!!!
i`m in

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #63797
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Just a thought if it was running strong when you got it I would have let it be & loaded up & hit the road
Well, originally I wasn't going to be hitting the road. I was halfway through a bunch of modifications when a sudden and unforeseen life event made it necessary to relocate back to Oregon. Trust me, I probably wouldn't have started ordering tons of accessories and turning wrenches if I had known that I would be leaving. Besides, this is almost exactly how I started my last big trip on an XRL....modifying stuff up until the day I left.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #63798
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Last night I de-smogged and de-snorkled the new (used) XRL. I was already running a Uni foam filter as well. Today I've been out riding it around and it's running really sluggish. It bogs down and coughs a lot at low RPM's and just doesn't seem to have the same pull as it did at high RPM's. Even when I got the bike fairly warmed up (Oil Temp: 215 degrees in reservoir) the throttle was still really unresponsive. Since I haven't done Dave's mod yet, I only turned the mixture screw out 2 full turns (not sure if that was the right idea). Anyone have any suggestions?

Hopefully I'll be doing Dave's Mod tomorrow (if the jets show up) and putting on the FMF pipe on Friday. Maybe that could solve my problems? I'm all ears at this point...
Your unifilter may be making it a bit lean. Try turn the mixture screw out at least another half turn. New jets and Dave's mods will probably help you out too.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #63799
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 181
How much oil is on that uni filter? Get the 3 ranges of plugs and run/check them to see what is happening. Check over all the smog stuff again + above post.
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #63800
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Check the smog stuff first of all, if a hose got left off, one of the vacuum caps didn't seat or one of the hoses are routed wrong it will cause problems.

I doubt the snorkle would cause low speed issues as there is little restriction around idle, but high rpm it could.

Did you turn out the idle screw two turns, or out TO two turns? The idle screw shouldn't cause high rpm issues however. Cold start should need choke, if it doesn't the screw is out to far.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #63801
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Well, originally I wasn't going to be hitting the road. I was halfway through a bunch of modifications when a sudden and unforeseen life event made it necessary to relocate back to Oregon. Trust me, I probably wouldn't have started ordering tons of accessories and turning wrenches if I had known that I would be leaving. Besides, this is almost exactly how I started my last big trip on an XRL....modifying stuff up until the day I left.
If you come through AZ, north or south of Prescott give me a shout.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #63802
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
So... just curious.

What are everyone's wheelie techniques on the big pig???
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #63803
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 636
I did all the same mods and mine already had a uni filter

I did not touch the carb and it runs great!! in fact it ran fine before the mods and better after
I almost don't want to do Daves mods to the carb but probably will just to see if temps drop

I agree make sure your vac caps are fine and if so I would dial the carb back to where it was just to see what happens
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #63804
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
I did all the same mods and mine already had a uni filter

I did not touch the carb and it runs great!! in fact it ran fine before the mods and better after
I almost don't want to do Daves mods to the carb but probably will just to see if temps drop

I agree make sure your vac caps are fine and if so I would dial the carb back to where it was just to see what happens
If you do end up doing Dave's Mods don't go too big on the jets. When I did mine I jumped right up to 55/158 and it was way rich. Tried a few different combos since then. 50/152 seemed to run well but was a bit lean. Currently running 55/155 and happy so far, but I may go back to 52/155 next time it's apart because it seems a bit fat at idle.
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over

Mossy-Back screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 08:28 PM
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #63805
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 636
thanks !!
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #63806
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Wheelie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy-Back View Post
So... just curious.

What are everyone's wheelie techniques on the big pig???
On my last XR I added a Stage 1 cam and it had no problem bringing her up. I was really surprised. I could ease into a wheelie in first and hit second and crank her open.

On the current bike I added an FCR (motor stock) and it's got similar pull. One of the easier wheelie machines. Very forgiving.

Lower gearing on both bikes.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #63807
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
If you come through AZ, north or south of Prescott give me a shout.
For sure! I'll certainly be coming through AZ. I'll let you know when when I get closer.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #63808
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
On my last XR I added a Stage 1 cam and it had no problem bringing her up. I was really surprised. I could ease into a wheelie in first and hit second and crank her open.

On the current bike I added an FCR (motor stock) and it's got similar pull. One of the easier wheelie machines. Very forgiving.

Lower gearing on both bikes.

RZ Rob
Mine with basic mods and a somewhat tired motor (15/48 sprockets) brings it up relatively easy in 1st if you crank it pretty good. Doesn't want to come up in 2nd. Could just be lousy technique on my part. Trying to improve at it slowly.
Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #63809
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,492
Hey everyone, I'll be right back. I have to take the brown falcon to the aviary.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #63810
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy-Back View Post
Mine with basic mods and a somewhat tired motor (15/48 sprockets) brings it up relatively easy in 1st if you crank it pretty good. Doesn't want to come up in 2nd. Could just be lousy technique on my part. Trying to improve at it slowly.
I'm running 14/45 gearing, Dave's mods, Q4 pipe, 4.7 Clrake and my results are about the same. I can get the 2nd gear wheelie (get up to speed in 1st, pull in clutch shift to 2nd, rev engine, dump clutch) fairly easily assuming the tanks not full Change your gearing to 14/48 and you'll be surprised how much easier the front end comes up