Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #64096
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Seeing if there is any interest in my stock Springs. Free. Let me know before Monday or they're going in the metal bin at work. They are off my 93.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #64097
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
This is true. I had my corneas scrubbed off for eye surgery when I was in the military. After a few days of agonizing pain they healed up and I came away with 20/15 vision. After today I think I'm back down to 20/30...
Happy to see you are back on the road after this! I hope you recover more than 20/30, but don't bet on it.. A serious eye injury is agony that keeps on giving.

Your r/r, jdowns, Allison, and others inspired me to hit the road. I'm planning my own TDF trip in 2 years. Had to give up on taking the xrl though, it chewed up 2 cam lobes that clogged the oil screen and seized the motor. Bought a '09 KLR 650 for that ride.

junkyardroad screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 06:36 PM
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #64098
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Pick of Springs!!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #64099
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammel View Post

Pick of Springs!!
I have a spare shock in need of a spring. I'll take it.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #64100
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,015
Beech,

How many springs do you think I have laying about. What color would you like?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #64101
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I have a spare shock in need of a spring. I'll take it.
Its yours if you still want it. PM me.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #64102
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Happy to see you are back on the road after this! I hope you recover more than 20/30, but don't bet on it. I still have 15 stitches in my eye from a corneal transplant last March after sodium hydroxide made my eye run down my cheek. Please make those glasses #1, period. Your r/r maybe saved my sanity last spring. A serious eye injury is agony that keeps on giving.

Your r/r, jdowns, Allison, and others inspired me to hit the road. I'm planning my own TDF trip when I reach MMI in 2 years. Had to give up on taking the xrl though, it chewed up 2 cam lobes that clogged the oil screen and seized the motor. Bought a '09 KLR 650 for that ride.
Hey! Good to see you back on here! I'm actually back at 20/15 now, so all is well.

I'm sad you didn't get another XRL! Honda's are seriously under-represented on the Ushuaia run. I just picked up my second one a few weeks ago. The KLR is a good choice for that trip though, it's already pretty much set up for it.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #64103
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Texas

Made it into Texas yesterday:

Stayed in Houston with friends last night and then met inmate Fritzcoinc for tacos today on my way to Waco:

Always a pleasure to meet inmates and put a face to the name! Thanks for the tacos Fritz!

I'm in Waco for a few days and then heading north and west (Dallas, Amarillo, Albquerque).
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #64104
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
If you MF's don't paint up fritz, I don't know what's going to happen.

And Ulysses, I'm north of Reno on the 395. Herlong ca. If you come this way and you need it you have a place to stay. I'll be home tomorrow. In Vegas just now.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #64105
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
iPhone5 Power Cord Trimmed to Length

So my phone is mounted on my bars and powered by a 12V switched-power outlet I've conveniently mounted beneath the plate. Today a friend suggested I trim the excess cable by hiding a couple loops in shrink wrap. Very discreet.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #64106
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Stayed in Houston with friends last night and then met inmate Fritzcoinc for tacos today on my way to Waco:

Always a pleasure to meet inmates and put a face to the name! Thanks for the tacos Fritz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
If you MF's don't paint up fritz, I don't know what's going to happen.
that's mista fritz to you, bishes...

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #64107
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post

Much mo better..........where`s the braided goatee and MR T gold bling though..??????????

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 08:19 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #64108
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I really like my installation; it has served me well. However, you can mount these Baker Precision oil coolers in a lot of different ways, as demonstrated by Micheal Bratcher, LexLeroy, Super Samurai, and others.

Spud
Spud's approach is the way that I'd do it if I were to take another shot at it. The only thing that I'd change would be using 90 degree bends of 3/8" stainless tubing rather than brass barbed fittings, but that's only to rationalize my purchase of a tubing bender.
Seriously though, running the return oil into the bottom and out the top with the cooler tilted on its side per Spud's installation looks to eliminate any potential flow problems due to sedimentation or trapped air.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 07:46 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #64109
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,500
Quote:
Made it into Texas yesterday:

I'm in Waco for a few days and then heading north and west (Dallas, Amarillo, Albquerque).
Hey it was great to meet you too.
You are quite lucky to be able to travel like this. Your adventures will make some great memories. Humm, all I seem to remember is family and working. And that is of course not bad.

Oh well:
I had quite an adventure after lunch.
My Cagiva just died at a stop sign. Being a new bike, new to me, I had done extensive service and modifications before I started riding the bike too far from home. But neglected to develop a complete carry tool kit. Sure enough I did not have the right size Allen wrench to remove the battery cover. But I was able to force the side covers off enough to check the battery connections and my wiring modifications. All was good. So I called my good buddy John who lives fairly close to where I was. He shows up and he doesn't have an Allen wrench or the rope I asked him to bring either.

I have my bike on the sidewalk at a busy intersection in a thick suburb of NW Houston. John has parked his DR on the sidewalk as well. I look hopelessly at the traffic and notice a guy in a Nissan pick up taking a picture of us with his cell phone. I think, shit, just what I need some Home Association Nazi is going to call the Cops. I point at my bike and motion the old "knife across the throat". And to my surprise he points back at the bed of his pick up! I give two thumbs up. I push the bike to a parking lot and this guy pulls up and says he lives close and will go get a ramp and tie downs.

He gets back and we begin the loading process. As the normal discussion progresses John and I learn that this fellow has an XR650L, is on ADV as Jackflash, and was planning to go to my hood to help a friend of his when he saw my broken down ass.

WOW, what a coincidence, to say the least.

Thanks a million Jackflash! I owe you big time.

As to the Cagiva, the BRAND new ( 2 weeks old ) Shoria battery ( $229 bucks )was dead!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #64110
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,500
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post

fyyff
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote