Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #64336
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector_dumb View Post
Anybody on here mod a 4x6 utility trailer to haul their bike? (It's a typical Lowes/Harbor Freight/Carry trailer w/ non removable gate/ramp) It looks like I'm about 14" shy to fit the bike on the trailer. I suppose I could get creative and put it in diagonal and some other shenannigans, but one day it would probably just end poorly.

I assume the best option would be to cut and weld in a 14" U in the railing to cradle the front tire? If anybody's gone down this road I'd appreciate any thoughts. I can't fit a bigger trailer where I store it, so buying a new one isn't in the cards.

I'm not looking to haul across the country, just a couple of hundred miles into PA. I don't want to be stranded with no way home if I try to make her fly and it goes badly. Which it will

Thanks!
I cut out the front rail, then mounted it farther forward on a 4'x6' trailer I bought from Lowes.

My XR650L and the rest of my bikes fit on this trailer. However, I don't have the stock tail light stretching out from the rear fender of my XR650L.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #64337
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I bought a new chain today. I cut it down to 110 links then put it on the ground next to the old chain. It's so stretched out that it's nearly an extra link long:

While I had the chain off I took a look at some of the damage that the old, elastic, misaligned chain had done. A little gouging on the shifter:

and a little scoring on the swing arm:

The lesson to learn from all of this is to never let a motorcycle shop do work on your bike. Ever. Unless you stand there and watch them. Or maybe to not ride with your sprocket on backwards.
Keep her loose and wet. She'll luv you for it!
Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #64338
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector_dumb View Post
That actually brings up a good question - is the center of mass pretty much under the pegs or slightly forward? I think it has to be. If so, there will be enough weight forward of the trailer axle to keep everything happy.
oh sh|t, the COG thread starts again..........................
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #64339
coffman300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Nope. You don't want to be powder coating your hubs. They might explode on ya.

Excel makes 32 spoke rims.

This is where I now go.

http://www.melrosemetalfinishing.com/

I have been a powder coater for 18 years and have done hundreds if not over a thousand sets of hub and have never had one come back do to exploding or any thing close. oven temps are only 400. don't ever get them burned off oven temps may go as high as 800 that's to hot for aluminum.
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #64340
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
oh sh|t, the COG thread starts again..........................
Not exactly, and I think last time around the scientists hashed that one out adequately. A thread search should enlighten anyone who hasn't read it and feels the need to. I think his question was more one of:

"If you were to put a 2x4 sideways under the bike, without a rider on it, where would the 2x4 end up so that the front and back are balanced?"

My hunch is somewhere around the pegs. I know my bike balances just fine when I've got it up on a work stand, which sits right about there...
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #64341
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud, your gamma correction was off on that picture. It's all green and no red

That's a pretty slick mod on that trailer though.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #64342
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 650
CR to XR

Anybody know if the CR250R hubs/Wheel set will fit the XR650l without troubles? Searching and lurking, thought if anyone would know, it would be you guys.. Thanks
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #64343
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,567
No soap.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #64344
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Spud, your gamma correction was off on that picture. It's all green and no red

That's a pretty slick mod on that trailer though.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #64345
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Pulling flagging duty at the Idaho round of the EnduroCross series today. The shit that folks do on a dirt bike never ceases to amaze Glad I left the pig at home
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #64346
Hazman27
The Haz

rear chain roller?

So I have finally pinpointed the rattle, the rear most chain roller in the near the rear wheel, the bearings or shaft has wallered out, so is there a preferred roller assembly for the stock guide? Spud?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #64347
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
So I have finally pinpointed the rattle, the rear most chain roller in the near the rear wheel, the bearings or shaft has wallered out, so is there a preferred roller assembly for the stock guide? Spud?
It's not originally a roller , it was a slider. Unless you're up substantially on rear sprocket size , the chain should rarely touch. The roller probably comes up higher than the slider. There's a wear indicater on the sides of the guide for the slider.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #64348
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In stock configuration, the XR650L doesn't have any chain rollers. If you are speaking of the chain guide near the rear sprocket, I wouldn't replace the stock slider, nor put a chain roller in its place. Unless you are jumping the bike, or otherwise riding the bike to the limits of its suspension travel, you won't throw the drive chain off the sprockets. Therefore, you can leave the bottom of the chain guide open. I've been doing this for tens of thousands of miles, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Spud
Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #64349
Hazman27
The Haz

Thanks guys, It wasn't a stock slider, I had rollers in the stock 'holder', I guess i could eliminate the rearward roller and be ok.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #64350
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks guys, It wasn't a stock slider, I had rollers in the stock 'holder', I guess i could eliminate the rearward roller and be ok.
I'm surprised the chain's impact on the rollers didn't fracture the plastic of the stock chain guide; that's what happened to me. If you still have the stock chain guide, I suggest you remove both rollers. Unless you are hammering the bike's suspension, you don't need the rollers, or a slider, to keep the chain from coming off the rear sprocket. If you don't remove both rollers, I'm sure the impact from the chain will fracture the chain guide.

Spud