Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #7561
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Update... My 30 minute tire swap turned into a bloody finger... Sprockets are sharp!!!! But, it only took 20 minutes!!!! Woohoooo!!!! The Tubeliss system seems really cool and all is fine with the 150 on an 18" rim!

I am changing the oil and getting some front brake pads in the am.... then RIDE!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, forgot the cracked intake... I have a new one here and gotta port it to the head, THEN ride!!!!
Sorry about the finger, been there & done that, but only once. I learned to work with the sprocket side down from then on...

BTW, do you any issues with the monster tire on the rear and a stock sized front? I'd think it would want to push or understeer on you very badly in looser terrain, but maybe all you have to do is steer with the throttle a bit more? Sure looks like you'd have a TON of hill climbing traction though.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #7562
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
I just completed the MEFO 150 install on a rim and she fits right in there, no problem. I am certifiably a dumbass, as I installed the tire backwards... All the while installing a Nubliss Tubeliss as well.
Where did you buy it? I see Twisted Throttle has them for $169. Very proud of them!

John
Old 07-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #7563
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Laugh Acerbis Fuel Tank

I finished the install of the new Acerbis tank. Here's a pic.

One of the things I am concerned about is I have air in the fuel line. What I have noticed is right after the inline fuel filter, there is no air.
Is this something I should be concerned with?

Lastly, I had to remove my Turbocity windshield.
I emailed Turbocity about modifying the bracket and they are interested in improving the design. Those guys are the coolest. Very easy to work with. He said he wished he had the bike there to look at so if any of you guys have an Acerbis and are near Orange, CA 92867, he would be very grateful to have you stop by.
http://www.turbocity.com/contact_us....e3e8272bf012d2

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #7564
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Hey Mchester, Thanks for the finger sympathy... With the Tubeliss system, you have to work the wheel on both sides, but on a tubed tire, I ONLY work away from the hungry sprocket teeth and on the disc side.. I have never noticed any steering issues at all with the big Terra-Flex. I raced the south Texas hare scrambles for several years on the "L", and my tire of choice was the T-flex. The only steering issues I have ever had was with a worn front or a non-aggressive tire like the MT-21, where the front end just washes all of the time. I use a MT-32a, MT-44, or any other aggressive front that I can find that has good sidewalls and an aggressive pattern. I tried the MEFO front and HATED it, like riding on bearings. It seems the knobs do well on the street as well (except I had a Pirelli roll out from under me, threw me on my ass....) I can handle just about anything, but losing the front end SUCKS in my opinion...

I will report on the MEFO 150, but I expect a great ride. I will always continue to use knobbies up front, unless I go on a LONG street ride, then maybe the MEFO front backwards (some report better handling this way, I haven't tried it...) Or maybe even a MT-21, as I have gotten 3-4k from them....

Sourjon, I paid the reaper at Twisted Throttle. I am not cost conscious anymore if I can get what I want, and the 150 looks like it will fit the bill for an aggressive, long lasting rear. I like the looks of the tread pattern and love the rear breaking loose on fire roads for that feet on the pegs two wheel drift. I have not seen anything at any price that looks close.

I am now running the Tubeliss system front and rear, and am happy that I can take plugs and a pump, no inner-tubes anymore!!!!

The next thing I want to try is a cush hub with a 17" rear rim off of a GS1200 Adventure and a TKC-80. I think that would just be the ultimate long lasting, easy to repair set-up. I easily could get 4-5k on the GS Hog, so I am betting there is 6-7k on the "L" out of that tire. I am sampling the 150 MEFO as an alternate prior to that one as a cost savings... The rear wheel with cush hub, ADV wheel, stainless spokes, etc was over $1,300.00 from Woody's and that was sans disc or sprocket... OUCH... Kinda justified the $170.00 for the MEFO for me, sounds weird, but thats the way my cranium approved.

I like the tubeless idea, and have had only 2 tires out of hundreds that would not have been repairable with a plug. I will peel the housing off of a slime pump and stash it somewhere on the bike along with plugs for a quick trailside repair if needed. I like the Tubeliss system as well, as they claim you can run the tire flat and get a few miles, with many reporting they did not even know they had a flat. I also can just use my 3/8" nylon tow rope to tie the wheel to the rim for a several hundred mile ride on a flat if needed.

I will report on the wear of the MEFO, however I will be riding with the Terra-Flex for offroad duty this weekend
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #7565
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Yes!!! doughy: I'm still alive. I've been playing the (every other day catch-up reading) game. I meant to tell you I have a 50T I'm not useing .

Even the best bigs can't fly forever. I hope you heal quickly.

Hey what ever happened to the ( oil consuming warinty) conflict with Sen?@#% My stupid memory? Anyway you know what I mean.

I do have one small question. Moose hand guards? Anybody use them before?

Thanks Everybody for all the great reading

:Jamieson
Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #7566
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,662
[quote=lasercustoms]

Hey what ever happened to the ( oil consuming warinty) conflict with Sen?@#% My stupid memory? Anyway you know what I mean.

He is waiting for the stealership to finish the rebuild. He is paying for the work. Not a warranty job.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #7567
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
One of the things I am concerned about is I have air in the fuel line. What I have noticed is right after the inline fuel filter, there is no air.
Is this something I should be concerned with?

Nope, that's normal. I run a Clarke 4.7 and an Eddy pumper with an inline automotive filter and I have an air bubble before the filter too. There was probably that same bubble when you were running a stock tank and line, you just didn't notice it because you can't see through the stock black fuel line.

You might want to push the line a little further onto the carb inlet and put a pinch clamp on it though, wouldn't want the fuel line popping off the carb in the middle of a ride.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #7568
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

[quote=mcma111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms

He is waiting for the stealership to finish the rebuild. He is paying for the work. Not a warranty job.
Thanks ......and yes I suck at spelling and forgot to use spell check.

That does suck about the bike though. Maybe we could take up some kind of offering to help?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #7569
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
You might want to push the line a little further onto the carb inlet and put a pinch clamp on it though, wouldn't want the fuel line popping off the carb in the middle of a ride.
Yeah, I just pushed it in all the way. Last night when the engine was cold I just couldn't seem to get it to slip on farther.

Did about 3 hours of off road this morning and I like the tank. Being 6'4", I didn't really have an issue with the tank being so much wider than the stock. Felt good. I only filled it up about 1/2 way to see if I could feel any gas slosh in the corners I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just to much of a beginner to really tell. So far, I really like it.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #7570
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaziozzy
I got a 96 XR650L a few months ago.... started thinking about gettin rid of it and getting a brand new bike. looking around at all the bikes out there....KTM 690's, yamaha wr250 sm, kawasaki klr650, DL650 V strom, and a few others. I still come back to the XR. It does everything I want. Might sell my XR and KTM 250 F XC W and get a new XR650L???

Why sell the 96? It's really the same bike. Don't sell, just modify ...A few udates and some work is alot better then spending the money on the same bike with white and red plastics.

Wattener, I am dying to hear about the tire and how it works. I do think though Iam going to try that Michellin 16 thingy a few pages back. BUT it only comes in 18/130 ... I prefer 140-150 tire. Cause yes a 130 looks whimpy. My RallyRaid Dunlop 908 has been a great tire but I don't like it in the single track slick stuff much. I'm about to add a tail bag to my bike. A modified JoeRocket tank bag.

Tubless doesn't seem like that great an Idea to me though. I would think it would be better/easier to just bring extra tubes or a decent patch kit in case of flats or shredding. What's the benifits and...................

Why run tubless?

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #7571
RedBirdStation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

installed mine this week an it was easy.

I like the idea of no pinch flats. Went riding this morning and my buddy on his XR650R had a rear go flat in the first 5 min off road....He didnt have any tubes and I took out my tubes last night. Good thing we were only 1 miles from his house.
RedBirdStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #7572
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Hey Doughy, lots of reasons I would rather run Tubeless... I have ridden thousands of miles in Mexico, and have had probably 20 flats... 18 on tubed tires and 2 on tubeless. It is a pain in the ass to peel a tire apart on the trail or road, when you can just install a plug and be on your way in minutes....

If I have a gash big enough that a plug won't work, I can take the tire apart and install a patch to the inside of the tire, probably about as easy as fixing a tube.... I have had a nail go in one place on a tire and make 3-4 holes in a tube, on the T-less it would be one hole.

On the two flats I had on tubeless tires I was under way within 5 minutes. I have sat trailside repairin tubes, then getting a pinch, ran out of repair patches, spent hours F'in with it. I just prefer the idea of tubeless....

The tubeless tire is lighter, has less friction than a tube, you can run way low on air without pinching a tube... I think it is actually simpler to take the tubeless tire apart over a tubed, etc, etc....

I don't recall any other reasons now, but I will think of more I am sure.

To each his own. I will certainly report my experience!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #7573
Splittincreek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Frame Gruards

A riding buddy just bought a used XR650L and it has Acerbis frame guards on it (above the foot pegs). Looks like a nice item, any ideas on a part number or supplier? The web site for Acerbis is down "Under Construction". I've checked the usual internet distributors... Dennis Kirk, etc. with no luck.
Thanks.
Splittincreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #7574
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittincreek
A riding buddy just bought a used XR650L and it has Acerbis frame guards on it (above the foot pegs). Looks like a nice item, any ideas on a part number or supplier? The web site for Acerbis is down "Under Construction". I've checked the usual internet distributors... Dennis Kirk, etc. with no luck.
Thanks.
Can you get us some pics?

Wattner, I guess it's just different thinking for me, but yeah tubeless does seem to make a fair amount of sense. What's needed to do a change over? Ever see those tire balls? But then I guess you can air down... This talk is making me wonder what you guys use for air on the trail. CO2? Hand Pumps? Electric pumps?

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #7575
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Well I found out that the Moose handguards fit.

I'm thinking of making my own plastics out of some leftovers.