Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #781
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONDO
GOT 8500 MI ON MY 01, WANT TO DO THE 14/48 CHANGE. WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO HOLD 70 MPH FOR SOME SUSTAINED INTERSTATE RIDES?
XRING,ORING,NO RING? SUGGESTIONS?
I'VE HERD SUN STAR SPOCKETS ARE A GOOD LONG WEARING PRODUCT. OPINIONS?

THANKS
RONDO
Hey Rondo,
14/48 gearing is not what you want for holding 70mph for a long time. If your doing that, you should stay stock or just drop the CS sprocket 1 tooth.

I've always bought X ring chains, dunno if they are any better but they work. This last time I bought Primary Drive brand Chain and Sprockets ( Gold X-ring chain and 14/48's and it only cost around $85, that was from rockymountainatv.com

I used Sunstar before that and they are also very good, Got 8000 miles of mud, sand, gravel and some highway out of them. The key is STEEL. Get steel sprockets.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #782
Dorian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONDO
GOT 8500 MI ON MY 01, WANT TO DO THE 14/48 CHANGE. WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO HOLD 70 MPH FOR SOME SUSTAINED INTERSTATE RIDES?
XRING,ORING,NO RING? SUGGESTIONS?
I'VE HERD SUN STAR SPOCKETS ARE A GOOD LONG WEARING PRODUCT. OPINIONS?

THANKS
RONDO
Rondo,
You're talking XR650L right? I have smog junk removed and did the carb mod thing and UNI air filter. Stock exhaust etc. I am running 15/48 final gearing and altho I have ridden it at 70mph a few times for appx. 15 mile stints, I thought the engine was working a little too hard (rpms too high). I wouldn't want to ride it for extended periods at 70mph with my 15/48 gearing. But that's just me. Maybe others will chime in?

Get an O-ring chain. X or O. Sunstar steel sprockets are good. I like steel sprockets on my 650 because they wear better than aluminum. I know alloy is lighter, but who cares?! The bike already weighs well over 300 lbs! Now if you are anal about un-sprung weight, alloy sprockets might be important to you.

Cheers, Dorian

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #783
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Thumb

According to "Mr. know it all" in the June issue of Dirt Bike magazine, X ring chains have it all over o-ring chains.

"The name X-ring is a DID trademark for that company's premium product. An X-ring is sealed better, is made of better material and is much much more expensive (about $150 versus $95). Dont get confused by tensile strength ratings. They mean nothing. DID offers a "wear index" rating that is much more useful. Their standard O-ring has an index of 2300, whereas the X-ring is rated at 4000. That means it will last almost twice as long. If you insist on lubing am o-ring chain, be sure to use very light lube that is designed specifically for the chain. The main function is to prevent corrosion."

He must be right, after all his name implies that he "knows it all".
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #784
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut46
According to "Mr. know it all" in the June issue of Dirt Bike magazine, X ring chains have it all over o-ring chains.

"The name X-ring is a DID trademark for that company's premium product. An X-ring is sealed better, is made of better material and is much much more expensive (about $150 versus $95). Dont get confused by tensile strength ratings. They mean nothing. DID offers a "wear index" rating that is much more useful. Their standard O-ring has an index of 2300, whereas the X-ring is rated at 4000. That means it will last almost twice as long. If you insist on lubing am o-ring chain, be sure to use very light lube that is designed specifically for the chain. The main function is to prevent corrosion."

He must be right, after all his name implies that he "knows it all".
So far my regina o-ring chain is doing a bit better than the X-ring I had did, the X-ring started getting stiff links early on.
I know it wasn't the lube, I wonder of I did something else to it?

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #785
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
My XR650L should be all put back together by the weekend. So far my bill includes

Changed all fluids
Adjusted valves
lubed chain
New neutral switch
new clutch plates
new clutch cable
new grips
New set of Avon Gripsters
New fork seals
heavier fork oil
set of Cortech bags

I'll try to get some shots this weekend. I'm hoping to take a trip to the North Georgia mountains on Sunday.

bbz
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #786
thumperron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
[quote=Shair_Khan]Hi all,

Since we have so many people with different views / experiences with XRl50L oil issue. Some go by the book with 2.06qt and others are using even more than 3qt.... We all know that low oil level can hurt the engine!

Does anyone know if you have too much oil.... would that hurt the engine / transmission or anything els

You don't want to over fill it....when the oil heats up it expands and you need room for that to happen
thumperron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #787
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Question Removing the Junk!

Hi All,

I have few questions regarding smog block off kit for the folks who have installled it on their XRLs...

1. Is it worth it? Does it make any significant difference?
2. Do you have to rejet the carb, if you install the smog block off kit?
3. Cost? and where to buy?
4. What is the installation difficulty level?
5. Any other words of wisdom for someone who has never messed with the smog system on cars or motorcycle?
6. Does that create any problem when time for inspection sticker?

Thank you, in advance, for your response.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #788
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shair_Khan
Hi All,

I have few questions regarding smog block off kit for the folks who have installled it on their XRLs...

1. Is it worth it? Does it make any significant difference?
2. Do you have to rejet the carb, if you install the smog block off kit?
3. Cost? and where to buy?
4. What is the installation difficulty level?
5. Any other words of wisdom for someone who has never messed with the smog system on cars or motorcycle?
6. Does that create any problem when time for inspection sticker?

Thank you, in advance, for your response.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
I had a machinist make some block off plates for mine and did the do it yourself version posted on 4strokes.com. All you really need is the plates, then you reroute some of the hoses that are already there. IMS makes a kit and is available through Baja Designs and others. Installation of either the homemade or the IMS kit is easy and really cleans up the look of the bike, it also TOTALLY removed the popping on deceleration with my bike.

The smog kit requires no mods to the carb, I dunno about the inspection thing.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #789
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 7,332
New-for-me 2002 XR650L with 3,500k miles, looks like new. Can't wait to join the party. Pick up the bike at PO's house sometime this week. Will need advice on tires as the rear is shot. Oddly, the handguards are gone, which is the only "mod" done to the bike. Other than that, it is showroom-new...kind of scary, I'm sure I'll manage to add some "character" to it in no time.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #790
thumperron
Gnarly Adventurer

revisit smog kit from above thread

Does removing the smog crap improve permormance?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #791
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperron
Nope.
Gets rid of that annoying popping (how un-stealthy that is!) and a few pounds- that's all.

Looks better, too.
Maybe the airflow around the cyl. improves a skosh also?

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #792
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,002
[quote=thumperron]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shair_Khan
Hi all,

Since we have so many people with different views / experiences with XRl50L oil issue. Some go by the book with 2.06qt and others are using even more than 3qt.... We all know that low oil level can hurt the engine!

Does anyone know if you have too much oil.... would that hurt the engine / transmission or anything els

You don't want to over fill it....when the oil heats up it expands and you need room for that to happen
I'd have to challenge the idea that the oil is really expanding all that much. You'd be hard pressed to measure how much it expands. The real issue is how much remains in the engine sump and how much you put in the frame. If you get too much in both locations, it will have to blow out somewhere.

Rule of thumb should be to put in the 2 qts and run the engine good. Not just idle. I've noticed on mine that idling it checked low after I stoped it, but once I reved it up it check ok. I just add till it's completely full though, which is ALWAYS more than 2.06 qts.
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #793
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperron
Before:

after:

The motor looks alot better without all that crap ( it would look ALOT better if I cleaned the damned thing ) and doesn't pop anymore ( usually )
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #794
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Suspension

Oh wise suspension Guru's

I never got the owners manual for my bike and even if I did, I doubt I'd understand it. I'd like to set up the suspension on my XRL to suit me. My bikes suspension is totally wrong right now, too stiff and tall in the back end.

I realize that I could release some tension on the spring, but its already within 1/2" from the top or so. What I'd like to know is what do the adjustments do?
The slot on the shock reservior, and the adjuster on the bottom. I realize they are probably compression and rebound, but I really don't understand how that will affect the bike.

Also, what do the adjusters on the bottoms of the forks do?
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #795
thumperron
Gnarly Adventurer

smog again

Do you think bike will pass NJ inspection without it?

Rokklym

It does look better without.