User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,880
Custom earphones

I'm thinking about getting some custom made earphones made up for music. I currently use Shure EC2, and they work well, but, now that I have a Schuberth C2 they pull on my ears removing the helmet, and it really hurts. Makes me not want to use them.

FYI, I've also got an Active 7 Autocom setup for sale. I'm gonna post that in classifieds now.

Anyway, any recommendations?

Thanks.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
monkeyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I got the cheaper ones from http://www.earinc.com/. They're local to me, so I just went in, but I know they have provisions for people who don't live in CO.

They have 1, 2, and 3-element speakers. I have the 1-element, http://www.earinc.com/p2-music-competition.php. Sound is not awesome, but it's decent, and they are 27 db NNR as well. Fit under a helmet just fine.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
I'm thinking about getting some custom made earphones made up for music. I currently use Shure EC2, and they work well, but, now that I have a Schuberth C2 they pull on my ears removing the helmet, and it really hurts. Makes me not want to use them.

FYI, I've also got an Active 7 Autocom setup for sale. I'm gonna post that in classifieds now.

Anyway, any recommendations?

Thanks.
I had custom earplugs made at a bike show in DC. They fit perfect and the sound quality is excelent.
Ron

BMW R1150GS ADV
KTM 300 EXC (plated)
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I got mine form EARinc by mail. What I did was go to a local audiologist and have her make some molds of my ear canals and then sent them to the EAR folks. 2 weeks later I had perfect speakers for my ears. I got the ones for $250 and they are great for the bike, cutting the grass or snow blowing. They cut out 30db of noise and I can keep the volume at a reasonable level and still hear the music. I've had them about a year now and have put 5000 miles on them on the bike and lots of other hours. I'm completly satisfied.Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
custom plugs EAR INC

I probably have the same plugs that Dinskeep has. EARINC is local to me too. Customer service was great, after 6 mos. one of the wires came out of the driver and they replaced the wire - pronto. The fit is excelllent and the sound, I think, is very good. I like the NR - without tunes, and like that the music doesn't have to be blasted to be heard. Well worth it.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
beezil
what would Jack Bauer do?

Oddometer: 38
ultimate ears

I had a set of UE5c's made by Ultimate Ears. I like to try to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. I not only wanted a pair for the bike, but also the plane and gym. The UE's sound is unbelievable... They are engineered to be used with low power mp3 players such as IPOD; and extract plenty of bass because of this. They are, however, not cheap.

One of the best purchases I have made for long distance motorcycling aside from the 12GS.

Lee
beezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I also got a set of earplugs from Marilyn of Now Hear This (plugup.com) at the DC motorcycle show. Haven't worn them for very long yet, but they seal better and feel more comfortable than the custom monitors I got from EAR Inc. Then again, for the EAR Inc monitors I went through a local audiologist, and maybe having to deal with a middleman resulted in a less-than-ideal fit. However, the Now Hear This plugs and monitors use a more pliable material, so I wouldn't be surprised if they generally are more comfortable.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
I got the custom molded ones from Ear Inc. The Challenger monitors.They sound great.. best thing going, and protects you from hearing loss due to wind noise... but.... I can only wear them for a a couple of hours at a time at most.. and I had the ear canal impressions done professionally at an audiologist.. it's just when you put something in the ear canal, it eventually acts as an irritant..

I have tried just about everything.. The autocom is great, but I like to wear hearing protection, and when I do, I can't hear the music much anymore.. I tried Shure... Etymotics.. you name it.. and I still haven't found what i'm looking for... which is something that will play loud enough without distorting, and I can still hear it with my ear plugs in... I'm not looking for the living room armchair sound experience, just adequate volume without distortion... anyone with constructive suggestions... i.e. no wise cracks!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbauer
I also got a set of earplugs from Marilyn of Now Hear This (plugup.com) at the DC motorcycle show. Haven't worn them for very long yet, but they seal better and feel more comfortable than the custom monitors I got from EAR Inc. Then again, for the EAR Inc monitors I went through a local audiologist, and maybe having to deal with a middleman resulted in a less-than-ideal fit. However, the Now Hear This plugs and monitors use a more pliable material, so I wouldn't be surprised if they generally are more comfortable.
I browsed her site. what Ilike is that I can get custom molds for the Shure phones I already own. that should save me some money! Has anyone done this?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I got the custom molded ones from Ear Inc. The Challenger monitors.They sound great.. best thing going, and protects you from hearing loss due to wind noise... but.... I can only wear them for a a couple of hours at a time at most.. and I had the ear canal impressions done professionally at an audiologist.. it's just when you put something in the ear canal, it eventually acts as an irritant..

I have tried just about everything.. The autocom is great, but I like to wear hearing protection, and when I do, I can't hear the music much anymore.. I tried Shure... Etymotics.. you name it.. and I still haven't found what i'm looking for... which is something that will play loud enough without distorting, and I can still hear it with my ear plugs in... I'm not looking for the living room armchair sound experience, just adequate volume without distortion... anyone with constructive suggestions... i.e. no wise cracks!
My experience with a local audiologist is that she wasn't necessarily particularly clued up on special requirements for motorcycling (e.g., biting down on something or chewing while taking the impressions). You might want to see if a softer compound (like the one from Now Hear This) is more comfortable for you.

-Lujo
Old 01-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #11
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
I browsed her site. what Ilike is that I can get custom molds for the Shure phones I already own. that should save me some money! Has anyone done this?
I haven't done this, but I discussed it with her and she said she could actually also reuse the drivers from my EAR Inc. phones and charge me only $90 (I think) for the new custom earpieces.

-Lujo
Old 01-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,563
One more happy EAR, Inc. customer. I'll add to Larry's comment that I've now had them do work three times, at no charge to me. They're great folks and a good company.

>I can only wear them for a a couple of hours at a time at most.. and I had the ear canal impressions done professionally at an audiologist.. it's just when you put something in the ear canal, it eventually acts as an irritant..

BG- The musicians I work with sometimes have the same complaint. I've found, and tell them, to wipe a little bit of Neosporin + pain ointment on the plug. I helps lube it, desensitizes the ear a bit, and makes a better seal. But you DON'T want to put the ointment in your ear first, it will clog the canal of the earpiece. Apply it to the plug.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Wow, I've used mine continusually for 1100 miles before. They got a little sore, but nothing that would make me want to stop using them, or even take a break. Glad to know I got a good pair. Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
Falp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I use an iPOD Shuffle with the stock headphones.
Pretty good and recommended (better than I tought) but lacks bass inside the helmet...

Bought some Sennheiser MX 500 but they don't match the Apple sound, don't sound good together.

Tried some Shure EC4... awesome sound!... But I cannot hear a thing around me during riding, out of question... (allways commuting and driving around town...).

Is there anything good for music to mount inside the helmet? Is something like Autocom musical?
Falp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #15
PJveetwin
LD-Ordie

Oddometer: 370
I purchased my Challenger’s from bob Weis at the Ear plug Co. I bought the do it your self kit that he recommended to get the mold then he sent them off to be made. He made no suggestions to me to do anything special for motorcycle use. The sound is as good as it can get but I could only stand to wear them a couple of hours at a time because of the pain. I ended up using a 1” belt sander and slowly started sanding the area where I felt was needed while avoiding the cannel area. The improvement was huge but they still can not be worn all day. It’s interesting some people can wear them all day long with no issues. I’m still not 100% happy with mine….might have to do a little more sanding

Jim

Member of "Team Pterodactyl"
Combat Touring!!

05-FJR 1300
05-650 Dakar
03-1150 GS Sport
70-FLH Shovelhead
50-FL Panhead
76- Bultaco 370 Pursang
98-Yamaha TW200
84-Yamaha TT-600
56-650 Triumph T-120, needs work......