User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
Maxmosbey OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Tank bag radio

Has anyone ever heard of a tank bag radio with external speakers? I am aware that I can glue some speakers in my helmet, and throw a radio in my bag, but I don't like being attached to the bag all of the time, plus my wife wants to hear the radio too. I don't want to put speakers in my helmet, because I don't want a big ass wire hanging out of my helmet every time I go down to the post office. I had that problem with the intercom. I don't want to listen to CDs, I just want a bag with a couple of external speakers and a radio. Has anyone ever done something with this?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
I built one or two when I was younger. Even with an amp it was difficult to hear at speed, and you blasted everyone when you stopped. I'd be real surprised if your wife could hear it well at all. Unless you have constant power you lose your pre-sets. Except for the novelty factory and impressing the easily impressed it was more trouble than it was not worth it

Unless you have a full fairing I would stick to an autocomm or something small with earbuds. If you don't want to be attached to the bike/bag buy a small radio/mp3 player and put it in your pocket.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,523
Earbuds have my vote. My wife and I both use them to share the XM radio on trips. I have thought about using an intercom but then we would just fight over which XM channel to listen to.

GSbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Maxmosbey OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
I think that you are all right about the speakers. A friend of mine has one of those big Yamahas, and he has a radio and speakers, and I guess that I wanted something like that. However, I have a Strom, and not a Star, so I guess that it might now work as well as I thought that it would.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Biker Bob
Ride long and prosper.

Oddometer: 15
Speakers

You can't just hook up speakers to your Ipod radio etc. Not enough power. you need a secondary amplifier. Harley dealers sell a system I believe that is called Road Tunes. I haven't tried it but I have talked to those that have and like them. the bigger "dead air" space you have the better speakes work. Behind a fairing works better than out in the open in my experience.
Biker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
Falp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I use an iPOD Shuffle that I bought a few weeks after the bike and I love it!
Falp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmosbey
Has anyone ever heard of a tank bag radio with external speakers? I am aware that I can glue some speakers in my helmet, and throw a radio in my bag, but I don't like being attached to the bag all of the time, plus my wife wants to hear the radio too. I don't want to put speakers in my helmet, because I don't want a big ass wire hanging out of my helmet every time I go down to the post office. I had that problem with the intercom. I don't want to listen to CDs, I just want a bag with a couple of external speakers and a radio. Has anyone ever done something with this?
JC Whitney sells a unit like you describe. Look in their motorcycle section.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
Hippiessuck
Banned

Oddometer: 2,015
but why??
WHY???
Hippiessuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
speakers in tank bag

Too big, take too much power, if you want a nice system usa a autocom with a mp3 or xm radio, gives you lots more options, FRS, radar, cell phone , etc. Kieth (I build custom audio systems for folks all over the US and Canada)
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Yea I know it's an old thread but I figure if I found it others will too. There is a new product on the market that will allow you to plug your Ipod or any other MP3 into a tankbag and have tunes going down the road. The tank bag comes with a built in Amp with it's own volume (I'll leave it set to Max and control volume with my Zune). The amp can be run from 4 AA batteries or it can be hard wired to the bike's electrical system (same connector as many popular battery chargers, electric vests etc...) There are two inputs for speakers, one of which is built into the tankbag. All necessary cables come with the bag and it has a small pocket at the front which holds a rain cover. Apparently it can be heard @ legal speeds but riding into a headwind above 70mph can make it a wee bit difficult to hear. I'll be testing this out very shortly and give a review.

It's a Cranker Tankbag available from Sportech

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote