ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
4 corners destinations

I'll be doing another trip in may based out of my cabin in Ruidoso, NM. Like last year, I plan to ride from ruidoso to ojo caliente (Taos area) and meet up with a buddy for a week long (or so) ride in the area. I have a few points of interest to plan around but no real route. We would like to stick to mostly (or all) dirt if possible...we'll be on dr650 and klx650. Any ideas are appreciated...here are mine:

Ouray....in mid may, this may be out?

Canyonlands....I've been to moab but I'm more interested in riding the area just south of there

Burr trail....I've heard good things and I think this would be on the route if we head west from canyonlands

Grand staircase or Glen Canyon?

Grand Canyon....never been...any and all ideas welcome. Great campsites??

Chaco Canyon....this would likely be on the way back to Taos from Grand Canyon

Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at. This would be a loop and I'd like to include these destinations/areas at some point. We will be camping so campsite recommendations would be great. If you can add to this, I would really appreciate it
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
Ouray might be doable, our snowfall has been dramatically below average this year. Canyonlands is fantastic, particularly the White Rim section in Island in the Sky district. If you are looking for a great trip idea, try spending a few days in the Maze district of Canyonlands. Absolutely spectacular, and hard enough to get to that you won't see many people there. Chaco is a geat destination as well. Have fun on your trip.
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,786
Should be an awesome time of year for the Utah stuff you mention. Even though currently Snow Pack is way down I'll bet Feb/March/April put enough on the ground to make Ouray in May problematic.

If ya can hit the Grand from the North rim. (late April last year it was still closed--mid June very nice )

Burr Trail is an incredible ride (and I've only hit a bit of the dirt portion) From the Westish end of the Burr in Boulder, UT take a hard left and enjoy the ride. Make sure ya stop at the Kiva Coffee House.

Jurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
javadawg
Take the dawg furaride

Oddometer: 220
Ruidoso ??

Hey Yater, good to see there are a few other people here in Ruidoso that do adv rides. I live here full time and have explored lots of the roads around here. A group of us are also planning a ride around the same areas you're talking about this march (25th- ??) . When are you planning your ride ? Up for any rides around the area? - email me - I ride both 600 singles and a R1200 GS.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadawg
Hey Yater, good to see there are a few other people here in Ruidoso that do adv rides. I live here full time and have explored lots of the roads around here. A group of us are also planning a ride around the same areas you're talking about this march (25th- ??) . When are you planning your ride ? Up for any rides around the area? - email me - I ride both 600 singles and a R1200 GS.
I'm stuck in the grind right now but I'm DYING to get out there asap. I did a ride based out of there last august. I rode from ruidoso to ojo caliente (taos) to meet up with a friend...then we did some riding up near the CO border.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...g+mexico+dr350

I have some free time this summer and we have this 4 corners trip in the works for may. In August, I'll be putting together another 3 week trip but need to figure out where I'm going. It may be based out of Ruidoso as well (possibly the "divide ride"). I'll be on the dr650 from now on. Let me know if you're interested in all or part of these rides...the more, the merrier
yater is offline   Reply With Quote