User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
Frozen fingers - first ride ( & crash ) of the year

This afternoon I took the old XR out of its winter home,started it up and I was going to install the heated grip kit I bought a while back. Well, I called my riding buddy ( the Govenor ) to see what he was up to. He called back a bit later and said he was riding over since it was mid 30's and sunny.
I kinda wanted to got take a look at a couple bikes at the dealer which is about 30 miles away so I talked Nate into going with. While I was waiting for him to get to my house, I started the bike up and decided to see if everything was in working order. I took it down a little gravel road by my house and into a field. I was feeling cocky and was going through the field in 2nd and hit a little bump and tried to wheelie. well, its winter, so the ground has ice, snow, and is frozen solid. The back end kicked out and the front end washed out. I was on the pegs at this time and we went down HARD on the left side.

This is where I wiped out, but taken a month or two earlier.

I'm an ATGATT kinda guy, but All I had on at this point was street clothes and a stocking cap. I hit the ground with my head and shoulder and I hit real hard. I remember how hard the ground felt on my head and I was a bit scared that I mighta really done something to my shoulder. I picked the bike up as soon as I could so nobody would see me and took it home ( 100 yards ). I ran in the house and yelled at myself for being so freaking stupid.
I took 4 Ibuprofin and got ready to ride.
Nate showed up a couple minutes later and got a kick out of my stupidity. He said his fingers were preety cold since he hadn't installed his heated grip kit either. I bundled up and we took off. We got to the dealer and Nates hands were quite cold. I was feeling OK at this point but that would change.

Heres our bikes outside Steiger powersports in LaCrosse Wisconsin. We got quite a few looks from people and for some reason we were the only bikes there
This pic is for Jeff ( Freeflow ) I told him I liked this bike!

They actually have a nice used DR650 there I'd like to have more, but this KLR is cool!
They were quite busy so we just looked around a bit and took off, but I knew we couldn't go straight home.......
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Continued.

We rode to the bottom of the local ski hill since I was hoping to get some snow pics. They are the only ones that have any left right now. Mt LaCosse was having ski racing today so they were packed. We sure got some looks there! You don't see alot of bike in parking lots full of skiiers!

We headed off since the place was so busy and it was getting close to dark and getting colder.

We got to the ridge and Nate was having trouble with the lack of heat in his fingers. We decided to try to warm up a bit.

Took some scenery shots there too.

Oh, we had to warm up the fingers a bit too.

cont...
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

We rode to the top of the Ski hill to see what was going on. They had the start gate for the races up there and all the skiiers looked at us like we were nuts, we probably are.

I tried to get a pic of one of the skiiers taking off from the starting gate but they were taking their time so I said the heck with it and took off.

I stopped and took a pic of the required old barn to keep the Chaingolians happy.

We had to get moving since it was getting colder so we did some highway miles to get closer to home. We stopped once to warm up. Nate looks pretty cold here!

I wonder why?

We got back to my place pretty much frozen solid and stood by my heat vents til we thawed out. Nate still had 8 miles to go but had to get some feeling back in his fingers first.
Me, I had to go get some painkillers, the shoulder is killing me!

I guess we will be installing those grips after all

The end
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
I'm glad to see someone else made it out riding up here today. It was beautiful winter day and I didn't see anyone else out. Sorry to hear about you smacking your grape on the ground. That gave me a headache just reading about it. At least you iced it right away.

Nice pics, too.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,430
I bet today your putting on your heated grips.

So tell me about the used DR? I've got a buddy looking for a used D.S., he's leaning towards a Honda, because I've sent him a bunch of pictures of some clown in WI that has one and rides it everywhere.

Only two months more of snow. When we going skiing? PM me.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

That dealer I was at is the same one Craig bought his 640ADVR. They have that 03 DR650 with 1k on it for upper $3k. They also have 2 or 3 DRZ400s's, They are pretty nice, i'd sure like to have one. My friend Nate said they had a DR650 brand new for $4500 at Jones in Richland Center, that sounds like a good deal. I haven't seen any XRL's around in the used bike market and they are a little overpriced new.

Yeah Mike, we need to meet up at the ski hill sometime, maybe we will have some more snow in Feb or March. Last year I snowboarded more in March than any other month.

Ice sucks!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym

This pic is for Jeff ( Freeflow ) I told him I liked this bike!

They actually have a nice used DR650 there I'd like to have more, but this KLR is cool!
They were quite busy so we just looked around a bit and took off, but I knew we couldn't go straight home.......

Chad.....I dunno...if we can call that "Key Lime" green ...then go for it....the olive drab goat-puke green was starting to grow on me....

beside the orange 950 ...well...now you have my attention!

Anyway.....another left side hit on your XR...damn man....you are jonesin bad I know...but be careful

NOW...onto business....that there KLR....well nice to see that the dealer moved the forks down from the shipping position ...I am guessing they did, but for some reason they did not move the top of the fork boots up to the bottom of the bottom clamp...

and hey....am I correct that your buddy Nate's KLR...was setup at the same dealer?....

PSS....the acerbis rally pros extra spolier does give some better wind protection ont eh back of the hand for Nate...better but not much

cheers....good ride.....when you can get it....
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
30 degrees in January is warm for Wisconsin, right? Looks like you had fun on Saturday despite a rough start. It was good riding weather here in Virginia this weekend too.Any damage to the bike? Don't get rid of your XRL too soon- it's the best off-road except for the DRZ
2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRob
30 degrees in January is warm for Wisconsin, right? Looks like you had fun on Saturday despite a rough start. It was good riding weather here in Virginia this weekend too.Any damage to the bike? Don't get rid of your XRL too soon- it's the best off-road except for the DRZ
I think I'll keep the XRL forever, its a fun bike. I was thinking about that today, how many bike can you pound into the frozen ground like that, pick it up and go off riding. I've crashed it enough now that anything that was going to get busted off got taken care of long ago. Since I got the bike I've only busted one mirror, bent the stock cheepo bars and bent the shift lever, which cracked the case cover.
I sure am sore today, but I've been in more pain after bicycle rides so its all good. Its a little tough to get dressed but how often do you really have to do that?
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEFLOW
Chad.....I dunno...if we can call that "Key Lime" green ...then go for it....the olive drab goat-puke green was starting to grow on me....

beside the orange 950 ...well...now you have my attention!

Anyway.....another left side hit on your XR...damn man....you are jonesin bad I know...but be careful

NOW...onto business....that there KLR....well nice to see that the dealer moved the forks down from the shipping position ...I am guessing they did, but for some reason they did not move the top of the fork boots up to the bottom of the bottom clamp...

and hey....am I correct that your buddy Nate's KLR...was setup at the same dealer?....

PSS....the acerbis rally pros extra spolier does give some better wind protection ont eh back of the hand for Nate...better but not much

cheers....good ride.....when you can get it....
That KLR is still lowered in the forks, I've noticed that every KLR I see at dealers is like that, don't the techs know enough to raise them up? I thought maybe they did that to make it less intimidating, but the DRZ's are taller and they aren't lowered in the forks. Nate bought his bike at a different dealer. a 950 is my dream bike but if the payment limits my ability to take trips then I'll have to skip it. We'll see.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
Let us know how those grip heaters work. I have a set from Dual Star that I need to install..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
jghix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Grip heaters

Grip heaters work great! We have been using them for several years. I have them on both of my trail bikes and my DS bike.

We were out trail riding today and had I the grip heaters on most of the time. It was 30 today and half of the time I had the heater control in the low position. The grip heaters work well enough that I am able to use the same mx gloves that I use in the summer.

It was icy, but we all had our tires studded and we were able to make it through all the trails in our riding area.
jghix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
I need to get mine installed...not that I have had much opportunity here to use them! What did you use to insulate the L handlebar? I have alum Renthals on the bike now..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 AM   #14
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
That KLR is still lowered in the forks, I've noticed that every KLR I see at dealers is like that, don't the techs know enough to raise them up? I thought maybe they did that to make it less intimidating, but the DRZ's are taller and they aren't lowered in the forks. Nate bought his bike at a different dealer.

this is a coommon mistake of dealers on KLRs...the forks are usually 3 inches lowered for shipping...when they should be flush at the top of the clamp....

why is it that at 30 degrees in January we are ready to ride here in Wisconsin,..but 30 degrees for a high in fall and we whine....
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #15
mikeym
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
cool man, great pics, i wish i could go riding with my buddy right now... my bikes pulled apart, and we're at seperate colleges...

~mikeym