ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
I'm in!

kv, you're responsible for keepin' me informed.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #17
kv OP
[none]

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
I'm in!

kv, you're responsible for keepin' me informed.
Done!

PS: WTF? No Daytona?

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #18
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Woot! It ain't racin' unless you're on one wheel and steering by thrust vectoring more often than you do with the front wheels.

I'd love to catch one live.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #19
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
I'll throw it in the mix as well. If it's the 17th-18th-19th weekend of March, that's the 3rd thing going on that weekend. Track Day at Barber, Int. Cycle Show in Atl. and the Rally just up the road from the house,...Hummmmm!
Decisions, Decisions,..........I actually would rather do the Rally

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #20
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,065
Boojum, Suppermotodd, Cheech, and I rode fireroad 221 and Tumbling Creek road through the Cherokee/Chattahoochee Nat Forest on Saturday. If this is part of the rally course, we did our damnedest to spray all the gravel off the race line for the rally cars. Thus, better grip. In lieu of cash for our services, we'll accept beer at the race.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #21
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Boojum, Suppermotodd, Cheech, and I rode fireroad 221 and Tumbling Creek road through the Cherokee/Chattahoochee Nat Forest on Saturday. If this is part of the rally course, we did our damnedest to spray all the gravel off the race line for the rally cars. Thus, better grip. In lieu of cash for our services, we'll accept beer at the race.

....CHEECH!!!
Maybe that's why he slid through that corner, and into the leaves.

After a conversation with Troutrider, he says they "BUS" you in from a parking spot, and you must sit in certain spots. Not so sure that's for me. Maybe it's the Atl. Cycle Show instead. There's a Sports Bar downstairs at the Galleria,........

Boojum!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Rally Driving School

FYI

There is a European Rally Driving School in FL.

http://www.gorally.com/html/venue.html

They also have Supermoto Minibike races at the facility.
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:12 PM   #23
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

motorcycles in rally

I would love to see this type of motorcycle racing come to Southeast.

http://www.nasarallysport.com./news.php

custmmc screwed with this post 02-07-2006 at 07:32 PM
Old 01-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #24
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,065
From the horse's mouth

I emailed Wilson, the guy at Nasarally, about the TN race in March with some questions. I was concerned about the whole bussing situation. Here is his response:

The website should be up within the next couple of days with event information including spectating and stage maps.

Spectating is at designated areas due to both USFS permitting requirements and our insurance requirements. We just got our clearance on them. There will probabaly be busing into the spectator areas due to limited parking, but they will not be captive spectator areas and the buses will continue throughout the event. Prior years had captive spectator areas on private inholdings in the forest, and nobody was happy with the arrangement because the buses went in, the spectators had to stay for the entire stage, and then the buses went out.

If you are bringing your bikes, they will have to be street legal if you want to use them on the forest roads.

There are some camping areas near the spectator locations but off of the course.

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have others. We look forward to you all coming.

Also, IMHO the best spectating as a stage (special test) crew worker, which we always need. You get to see the cars close up, get swag like T-shirts and free food and beer at the awards party, etc. You might want to consider this. We're always looking for more volunteers.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #25
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,025
check out www.specialstage.com click forums. Everything you ever wanted to know about US and Canadian stage rally...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Because of liabilities and our litigious society the stage viewing has become highly regulated. No longer can you roam the forests or walk stages. Still, if you can find a good spot the front runner cars have a lot of horsepower, and some good drivers.

The Corona Rally in Leon, Mexico is a WRC event. The first week of March, I believe. Mexico has a good rally series with some well regulated classes that we don't get. If the WRC junior cars also run at Corona it would be a great show and worth the trip. The 2-wheel drive 1600 cars are wicked fast, often nipping at the heels of the "big" 4x4 cars.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:44 PM   #26
kv OP
[none]

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I emailed Wilson, the guy at Nasarally, about the TN race in March with some questions. I was concerned about the whole bussing situation. Here is his response:

The website should be up within the next couple of days with event information including spectating and stage maps.

Spectating is at designated areas due to both USFS permitting requirements and our insurance requirements. We just got our clearance on them. There will probabaly be busing into the spectator areas due to limited parking, but they will not be captive spectator areas and the buses will continue throughout the event. Prior years had captive spectator areas on private inholdings in the forest, and nobody was happy with the arrangement because the buses went in, the spectators had to stay for the entire stage, and then the buses went out.

If you are bringing your bikes, they will have to be street legal if you want to use them on the forest roads.

There are some camping areas near the spectator locations but off of the course.

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have others. We look forward to you all coming.

Also, IMHO the best spectating as a stage (special test) crew worker, which we always need. You get to see the cars close up, get swag like T-shirts and free food and beer at the awards party, etc. You might want to consider this. We're always looking for more volunteers.
Thanks for all of the great info. I don't know if I'd be able to swing being a volunteer in reference to my work schedule but I will probably be up for a night of camping near the course.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #27
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Your Job, Mr. Phelps........

Is to let us know when the web site is up and going. We will then pick a spot to camp, and plan accordingly. Race Volunteer Aye???
Keep us posted Monty, Good Job Man!

Boojum!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #28
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

The SandBlast Rally was on the schedule for Jan 21, but according to http://sandblastrally.com/2006/ it is going to take place on Feb 18th.

Just an FYI. I would love to go, but I am still not able to ride.

Repaired Link

custmmc screwed with this post 02-06-2006 at 08:45 PM
Old 02-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #29
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Looks like the maps are up.
http://www.cherokeetrailsrally.com/pages/1/index.htm
Cohutta area?
Indian Creek Rd, Peavine Sheeds Creek ?
Talk about in our backyard.
I know there's a couple of campgrounds there. State though, no beverages.
Any ideas Boojum, KV?
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #30
forest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
You won't Have to Spectate!!!

If you are going to the US Rally Championship Events you might not need to spectate. Check this out http://www.nasarallysport.com if it isn't still the front pace go down to the bottom and look at the archives. Basically it is going to be run as a TSD for those of you not familiar with rally that stands for Time Speed Distance it's more of a navigational rally with set speeds and penalties assessed for being early or late. It can either be made challenging speed wise or relaxed but either way it is usually interesting trying to stay on speed and navigation can be tricky too. Just to give a little background I am a former rallier in Canada and The US now converted to Rally Raid Adventure Rider i.e. My best friend and I build map courses of around 2000 miles (hopefully can be done in a long weekend) mostly off road about 99% and try to do them without getting to lost/broken down. If you have any rally related questions put em here and I will try to get back.
PS their is also a thread on http://www.specialstage.com Fourums USA
forest is offline   Reply With Quote