Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #31
sti_rx7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Has anyone used a stubby front fender along with the leaving the original in place? the 1200GS look.
sti_rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #32
AZcacti
Dope on a Rope

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti_rx7
Has anyone used a stubby front fender along with the leaving the original in place? the 1200GS look.
How about this?

Motozilla's former bike
AZcacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #33
AZcacti
Dope on a Rope

Oddometer: 1,320
I used the Acerbis Supermoto fender since the other options didn't appeal to me. The silver is a pretty good match for the bikes paint.
AZcacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 AM   #34
BLUE(UK) OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti_rx7
That is how mine is at the minute until i get my brake lines sorted and some fork protectors.

I think for road use i will put the low fender combo on and when i want to do some 'adventure' riding i will use the high fender.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #35
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,938
I have done the high fender mod and think it improved the looks out of sight, at least the thing now looks like a dirt bike instead of a road bike.

I am curious to know about the brake lines on the 950SM though. from the parts cattledog it uses a single line to the bottom triple clamp then a line down each fork similar to the 990SD but hopefully longer.

When they SM gets over here I'm going to measure it and see if I can use the setup rather than running dual lines from the master as done currently.

I note in Oz we have a problem in that if the brake lines are not homologated for registration purposes it can be a headache come insurance and rego. It is therefore less than good to go aftermarket so I've used the same line for each side and swapped the banjo bolts over.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #36
Don Lemelin
Scuderia West

Oddometer: 273
Great minds.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
I have done the high fender mod and think it improved the looks out of sight, at least the thing now looks like a dirt bike instead of a road bike.

I am curious to know about the brake lines on the 950SM though. from the parts cattledog it uses a single line to the bottom triple clamp then a line down each fork similar to the 990SD but hopefully longer.

When they SM gets over here I'm going to measure it and see if I can use the setup rather than running dual lines from the master as done currently.

I note in Oz we have a problem in that if the brake lines are not homologated for registration purposes it can be a headache come insurance and rego. It is therefore less than good to go aftermarket so I've used the same line for each side and swapped the banjo bolts over.
We just got our first 950SM in today and like you have been waiting to measure the lines.
Preliminary measurements look promising. Will keep you all informed and of course will have our own high fender kit on the new site soon.
Cheers.
Don Lemelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #37
Motobrandt
Free Opinions Here

Oddometer: 630
Isn't the SM fender a bit too short? I seem to remember a few pics of a guy taken mud with his SM fender and the whole headlight and windscreen were caked in mud.... Hopefully you've found another fender? Maybe the Super Enduro?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 PM   #38
to520fan
4 strokes beats 2 any day

Oddometer: 16
Alternate parts...

Hi guys, I found that the Suzuki RM fork gaurds with their respective brackets fit the KTM forks pretty good. I did need to trim and drill the sides to fit but the result looks pretty good and with the brackets holding the gaurds in place the whole assembly is real clean and sturdy. Also by going with a later model (2005-6) style, they have the Honda style brakeline mounting for the left side and then a purchase of a Fastway or similar "Honda" brakeline mount for the right allows you to keep both brakelines. I had my brakeline manufactured by a local hydraulic shop to my spec and it looks great. I also purchased a second guide from KTM for the routing of the brakeline and stacked them both under the lower clamp so both lines are routed smoothly.

Now just what fender to use.... hummmmmmmm, sure like the supermoto look.....
2001 Suzuki DRZ-250 (Wife's Bike)
1999 Yamaha TTR-125L (Youngest Daughter's Bike)
to520fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #39
pistilpete
smilin n the ozarks

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktamcm
I used the parts listing from http://schradt.net/index.php?dir=mo/...f6bb10888d0859 's site

Briefly,
1-brakeline
1-fender , with 4 bolt sleeves and bolts
2-single holed brakeline holders, 1-top right and bottom right. I cut the bottom left in half and the bottom right in half to make one 2 pice double unit that goes between the fender and lower triple clamp. I had to dremel and shave to make the one for the top right

2-brake line holders 1 for the left to stack the lines/cable and 1 for the right that is spot(zip) tied to the right fork guard.

1- set of 65 lower fork guards the black plug has to be removed from the lower axle clamp thing to access the hole for the 3rd bolt. I heated the plastic slightly and streched the plastic guard so the bolt hole would line up.

here is my web site with some pics, click on the hotspots to enlarge photos

http://members.cox.net/ktamcm

if anyone needs better pics let me know. I can take some and email it to ya

ktamcm@cox.net
Any wooble with this at high speed (100+). All your mods look great.
pistilpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #40
BLUE(UK) OP
Beastly Adventurer

That was my origional thought.....since fitted the high fender with the low fender still on til i sort out the brake lines......i've took it for an high speed test..............125mph!!
No wobbles nor bending of the fender/mudgard thingy but bear in mind that i use the brace also!!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #41
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
I ordered the fender for the earlier 640 Adventure. Preliminary mock-up looks good, but might need a slight mod. I'm going to work on it tomorrow, so with any luck, I'll have a pic or two. I did it because I hadn't seen a photo of it yet. The fender is longer than the SM, but doesn't have the huge profile that the dirt fender does. It wasn't that much more than going with any of the other fender options, but it's a 2 piece item. Bolt pattern is an identical match.

Hopefully I get it stuck on and the extra brake line made up tomorrow... but I don't get my wheel back from Woody's until the end of the week
leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #42
pistilpete
smilin n the ozarks

hi fender

What brace? 125 man thats cookin. That low fender just looks like its going to catch something nasty and rip it right off. Looking at different options appreciate the input.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #43
BLUE(UK) OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistilpete
What brace? 125 man thats cookin. That low fender just looks like its going to catch something nasty and rip it right off. Looking at different options appreciate the input.
It rides fine with the low fender on regular tarmac.....on the courtesy bike i used to do 135mph to save me thrashing mine!!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #44
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
on the courtesy bike i used to do 135mph to save me thrashing mine!
Blue, didn't you know that the LC8 likes to be thrashed... at least mine does!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #45
pistilpete
smilin n the ozarks

135 geez, I ate ford aerostar at 111 today never hit 6th gear. I love this bike