User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
CA to Baja - going south

So I took some time off work to do a few weeks of travelling around Baja. My friend Eric had the same idea, so we hooked up for the first 2 weeks or so, until he has to be back for work.

I'll try to keep this ride report going as much as I can get to the internet. We are currently in San Felipe, sitting in a nice cafe having a good time.

This is how it started:

Thursday, 01/19/06:

My friend Eric picked me up at 10 AM in Marina, CA.

Me on the 12GS and Eric on his 650GS.

After a short chat we got on our way down Highway 1 past Carmel and Big Sur. It was sunny and the traffic was light, so we had a blast. We made a quick stop at the Piedros Blances Seal colony. Lots of seals on the beach.

We had a blast riding down the coast and stopped in Moro Bay for lunch. After this we got on Highway 101 and stayed in the Motel 6 in Ventura for the night.
NWAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Friday, 01/20/06:

We wanted to make it past LA before noon, which we did going down Highway 1 past Malibu and turning on Highway 10 and 405 at Santa Monica. We encountered only a little heavy traffic around LAX, otherwise we had had no problems getting to the intersection of Highways 5 and 78. There we turned inland towards Escondido and then towards El Cajon. We then stayed at a campground in Jamul.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Swillmongrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109

I'm jealous.
1963 Ducati 250 Scrambler 4 speed project
Swillmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday, 01/21/06:

Around noon we reached the Mexicon Border at Tecate.

We got our Tourist visas and changed some money. We got on Mex 2 and stopped at El Hongo for lunch and some supplies. From here we hit the dirt roads to get to the camp ground at Laguna Hanson in the Parque National Constitucion de 1857, where we wanted to spend the night.

Navigating these dirt roads turned out to be quite some challenge. I was tasked with navigating because I had the GPS and paper maps. Well, I got us to far west, so we had to cut back over some challenging roads to reach the north end of the part.

The roads hat lots of deep sand stretches, which caused me to have about a half douzend low speed tip overs . I don't mind the accidents as much as I do picking up the bike again afterwards. That thing is heavy and the procedure gets old quickly .

Eric did way better and only washed out once . I wanted to take a picture, put he was too quick to get back on the bike. So no crash pictures yet.

We finally made it to Laguna Hanson just before dark. It was already getting pretty chilly, so we made fire with some pine cones we collected. Later a pickup pulled up and the guy sold us some firewood. This was a good thing, because it was really cold now . So we sat around the fire and chatted with some Mexicon guys from the next tent over . The beer we brought from El Hongo already had chunks of ice in it. No good sign and it got worse from then on. We both were so cold that we barely slept that night. Once the sun came out it got better and when we finally had our water thawn we could make coffee. Even so it was very cold, the place is very pretty:

It turned out that a few bolts vibrated loose and one from my cases actually got lost, but it wasn't a big problem and I could fix it easily with some less important one from another attachment.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday, 01/22/06:

Another day of trying to navigate the dirt roads. I cannot even say which roads we took, because mostly neither the GPS map nor the paper map showed the intersections we hit . It was quite some going back and forth, coming up to a locked gate, turning back, finding ourselves at some dead end and finally deciding to simply go around the locked gate. All the while we tried to go in the general direction of Highway Mex 3. And finally we made it, still with fuel in the tanks:

We stopped in Heroes De La Independencia for lunch at a nice little restaurant.

After gazing up we drove over to Mike's Sky Ranch. Eric had me do the water crossing in front of the ranch twice, because he wanted to take a picture. He got his picture and I was wet, but happy that I didn't dump the bike in the middle of the stream.

Turns out that there was just one other guests at the ranch that day, so we had the whole place almost to ourselves.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Monday, 01/23/06:

We left Mike's to make our way to San Felipe. Here is Eric crossing the little stream in front of the ranch.

We made the about 20 miles back to the highway and looked for the road to lead us the dry lake Laguna Diablo. Here it is with greetings to the fellow inmates :

The first stretch was no problem to ride and we made good time. Some pictures from around Laguna Diablo:

North of the lake we hit about 1 mile of really deep sand. My bike was way too heavy to get on top of it, and I was falling over left and right . Luckily I had Eric's help for getting the bike upright again. I think he had this "not again" look on his face after about the 5th time . Lowering the tire pressure helped a bit but it was still a chore. Here we're almost at the end of the bad stretch

After a few more miles of dirt road we got to San Felipe. We preferred to stay at the Hotel Rivera because the wind was blowing pretty hard. They even allowed us to park the bikes in front of the room, real nice

Dinner at the "Langosta Roja" restaurant. Very good food and mucho vino tinto to give the day a really good ending .
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Thigth everything

Well I`ll say it but it looks it happens before the advice, your friend in the 650 needs to remove the plastic from the rear tire, I donīt see it anymore in the Mike`s photo, from San Felipe there is another gas station in Rancho Grande in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, next Coco`s Corner, then.....

When the U.S. and Canada enter rehab, we can kiss drug cartels goodbye.
bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

What kind of racks and luggage are those on the 650? he is with the tkc 80`s.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarider
Well I`ll say it but it looks it happens before the advice, your friend in the 650 needs to remove the plastic from the rear tire, I donīt see it anymore in the Mike`s photo, from San Felipe there is another gas station in Rancho Grande in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, next Coco`s Corner, then.....
You got this right, his rear fender wrapped itself around the tire on the way to Mike's, luckily it did not do any additional damage . I took mine off when I switched to TKC 80's, so it's just collecting dust in the garage right now.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
NWAF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarider
What kind of racks and luggage are those on the 650? he is with the tkc 80`s.
He has Moto-Sport Panniers and a Touratech rack on his 650.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

another advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAF
You got this right, his rear fender wrapped itself around the tire on the way to Mike's, luckily it did not do any additional damage . I took mine off when I switched to TKC 80's, so it's just collecting dust in the garage right now.
Let me advice you both to secure that weak plastic license plate too, thatīs the way I loose mine in Chihuahua, in the Horizonts Unlimited meeting, and thigth everything that can be loose , those roads are very bumping .
From San Felipe to Puertecitos the road turns from good to very bad suddendly and be carefully with the deeps ( VADO ) or someone gona fly instead of ride. Half way to Puertecitos to Higway 1 it`s dirt road so before you reach Coco`s will find some sand buts it is ok.

Suerte. Good look.

By the way Iīm in Mexicali drop me a line if need something.
Carlos 686 555 35 64 Home
686 146 01 34 Cellular

Old 01-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

Gaspipe

Hey Gaspipe looking for HINTS.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
Dont forget the hot springs at Puertocitos....and consider staying at Encantada--and then do a ponga boat ride out to the islands. Very interesting trip. Hike to the top for a great view of the volcano.
Alfonsinas is also really nice.

You guys going all the way down?
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,051
Looks great...
Love those Micatech cases on your GS

Keep it coming!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote