Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Fredde_M OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Adv - Adv S. Difference in real life?

Hello,

The S-model is an inch or so higher than the normal 950.
Can someone tell me if there is any significant differences in handling on
tarmac roads between the models?

Planning to sell the SV this spring and then aim for a 990.
990/990S will be priced at exact same level here in Sweden and I can't help thinking that the S looks more sharp with the higher suspension and straight saddle. But I don't think I will use the extra off road qualities.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Most (or many) of the threads about failures on the 950 are about carburator/fuel supply problems. Maybe all this will be gone with fuel injection. What do you think?

//F
Fredde_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
2'' difference.....if you ask your missus if she would prefer the extra 2'' i bet we all know the REAL answer!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,906
fuel supply issues seem mainly related to the routing of hoses and the canister and I reckon they are minor.

The sleeper for the 950/990 seems to be the water pump issue and neither engine appears to have got the problem licked.

IMHO the pump shaft is a wear item and hopefully I change it before it wears...

Ergonomically the reach seat bars footpegs is identical for both models if the same seat is installed.

I'm 6'5" and installed the touratech high seat and low mount fastways and now the bike fits me well (for a bike). It makes more sense for me to raise the seat-footpeg distance and retain the ability to reach the ground than to choose longer suspension.

I ride enough dirt and the standard suspension with a few mods is more than good enough. I think the limitation is not travel but tyres.

It wasn't that long ago that 4" travel was about as good as it got or am i just showing my age.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
lawyer1219
Pair-a-Dice

Oddometer: 107
S model is better off-road in the extremes ie: bigs hits, high speeds. Standard model is better or at least equal for just about everything else ie:
more comfort because of seat, lower seat height, lower center of gravity, ...etc. Ask yourself, How are you going to use it?
lawyer1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
Fredde_M OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer1219
S model is better off-road in the extremes ie: bigs hits, high speeds. Standard model is better or at least equal for just about everything else ie:
more comfort because of seat, lower seat height, lower center of gravity, ...etc. Ask yourself, How are you going to use it?
Is the S-seat the same for 03-06 models?

Have tested the 950 (not S) a couple of times and it felt more fun and alive than the GS1200. Maybe a little bit more wobbly at higher speeds but nothing scary.

Thinking of how and where I'm driving the GS would be the rational choice, but bike riding is more than that. Unfortunately I think there would not be so many S demo bikes around to test and compare with.

//F
Old 01-25-2006, 03:39 AM   #6
lawyer1219
Pair-a-Dice

Oddometer: 107
I don't own an S model but I believe they all come with the narrow butt-wedge seat. The dished, gel seat is offered as an option through the KTM Hardparts catalog. The dished gel seat came standard on my o5.5 bike and is much more comfy than the narrow seat. All taken in perspective though, the standard narrow seat on the 950 is a hell of a lot more comfy than the standard seat on my 450 EXC. I did go to a softer foam on the EXC from EE that they claim gives greater comfort. We will see in the spring when I ride it. Garage test - feels like I went from Oak to Pine!
lawyer1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
The seats aint the same......03/04 S models had the same seats as the non gel seats......gel seats were optional extra's at these years.The 05's became gel seats.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
airwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
When I sat on the '05 adventure at a show it felt closer to the seat height of my standard '03 than the standard '05.

Alan
airwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktm942
Don't buy a KTM with fuel injection unless you are willing to be their guinea pig. Carburetor problems are much easier to work with.

Perhaps, but I am still thinking about fuel injecting mine this year using a megasquirt system.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 582
I had the very first S, the 2003. I'm 6'5'' and even to me that bike was a pain in some circumstances. Pushing it while sitting: only on a level surface. Slow U-turns were no fun either. That's for about one inch more of suspension travel. For thoroughbred rally pilots only, probably. My experience is that for street use, it's not helping you at all.

The current modelrange shows an S that's actually lower than the 2003 non-S, so by now it's up to your taste and/or use. For street use, a new S doesn't make much sense, probably.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Fredde_M OP
Adventurer

Tested both the 990 and 990S this weekend.

The S-model was impressive and just as comfortable as the normal model.
No difference on common tarmacs roads - just fun.
Strong, but rather harsh engine and quite jerky fuel injection.

//F
Old 04-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Window_licker
n0b

Oddometer: 233
Hello guys. First post

I tested a 990 last week, didn't find a single issue with the fuel injection, and I really tried to find a weak spot. The engine was smooth and surprisingly good in comparison to my 950SM ( which I am now part exchanging for the 990) Throttle response was excellent, with no snatchiness picking it up from apex's where you really need a nice smooth drive
I have owned quite a few FI bikes now, the best was Ducati, the 990 was nearly as good. The worst deffinately was my Cbr600rr and my VFR800ABS which were appalling .
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
trident
Town Idiot

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatiman
The 950S is the mans bike,

the 950 is the hairdressers bike
Second That!

I ride an S and the only problem you will have (unless you are 7' mutant'') is pushing it around while sitting on it. You will definately feel some difference while sitting at the light and a strong wind wops you sideways and the bike goes over 4'' before you can get enough foot on the ground.

Other then that I love mine and I am only 5'10''.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #14
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
950s

Fruit of the gods nature of the bike notwithstanding, all bikes reflect a bit of a compromise but both are great platforms for personalising to your style of riding.
Of the two, 950s is often considered a little more focused platform bike for off road on account of suspension travel but IMHO both bikes will do even better off road with a couple of mods unrelated to suspension travel:
  • Depending on rider height, easing transition to standing by having a higher seat-for a medium inseam rider the std bike can benefit from this. Not just standing but also getting forwards on the seat for cornering and sliding the rear end. Always done with respect of course.....
  • Precision Concepts (or equiv) suspension tune for off road/ rider weight. All those who have this cite a helluva difference in planted nature of F/E-again 950 and 950s will benefit from this.
  • IMHO The 950s without the mod is a little prone to dive in it's early movement at any speed through the rough off road.
  • Both bikes are still a tall, heavy bike and the ability to get a leg out without having to have it leaning over too much on a wet street or slippery dirt in the real world will save knee injuries
The longer travel is a tremendous benefit when combined with tuning of suspension for a little more regular off road use or more vigorous use.
Indeed, I would, if I had a 950 as opposed to a 950s, recommend spending money with precision concepts before worrying about suspension travel.

If you are a medium height rider mainly on the street with occasional off road forays i would be happy with the 950. If anything they are a little cheaper secondhand too.

I am a tall rider. I always wanted the 950s and have modified my bike extensively for off road. I am happy with it but the overall character of oth bikes is very similar
Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #15
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,258
I've owned both, sort of.

I bought an 04 950 S, with tall seat. Tried to make it work, but it was simply too tall. I'm 5' 11" and pretty stocky build, can handle most any bike. And I did handle this bike fine in almost all circumstances.

With a Renzaco seat, it was all I could do to get a tip toe down at the light.

I rode the tall S for a couple thousand miles before deciding it was a better option to install the shorted setup. I just swapped out for an 04 non-S. Huge difference in height. I've put about 750 miles on the non-S setup, here's my thoughts.
  • Fork dive under hard braking is reduced dramatically.
  • ride height is now balls of the feet instead of tip toes.
  • Feels "flickier"
  • Off road, doesn't seem to soak up big hits as well.
While I don't consider myself a "hairdresser", I do think if you are tall enough to handle the S, the tradeoffs aren't that bad. I can push both very hard on the road, the non-s has a slight advantage.

Honestly, this bike is a do-it-all for me with lots of commuting and road duty. I'm not a hard core offroader, but do envision working my way up to that. The S was more nerve wracking off-tarmac just due to the fact that I couldn't ever touch down to stabilize while going slow. Forget about walking the bike forward or back. I had to dismount just to move it around a parking lot.

If I had the loot to spend, I would have/should have sent my S off to Bob Bell and had it lowered and revalved.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote