User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
kitjv OP
"Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer: 261
Question Canisterectomy & SAS Surgery

As a soon-to-be new 950 owner, I've been perusing this forum to get up to speed on the various nuances of the bike. Obviously, there has been extensive discussion on canisterectomies & SAS removals. However, I am having diffuculty combining all the somewhat-varied discussion into a single "how-to" procedure for each of this systems. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction or post the detailed steps of these procedures (if they have already been written up)? Thanks, all of you, for your help!!!

Kit
kitjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
LAPTRAFFIC
RIP, Wes...

Oddometer: 195
The Only Thing You Need To Purchase Is The 2 Little "block-off Plates" To Cover The Holes In Your Cylinders When You Remove Those Air Valve Thingies...
The Rest Is Just Pullin Hoses And Canisters...
Oh Yea You'll Need 2 Little Breathers To Go On Top Of Each Tank.
Do A Search...theres Tons Of Info
Lt In Portland
LAPTRAFFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
Hint - Use the search feature at the top of the page. You'll find answers to most question's you may have about the 950. Also read the owners manual front to back - when you get it

FWIW: I've left the SAS systems on my bike.
ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
kitjv OP
"Old Guys Rule"!

Question

I assume that the 2 "breathers" referred to are in lieu of the hoses from the fuel tank that vent into the charcoal canister. Correct? Where can these "breathers" be acquired?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
wardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Although I don't have a 950, I do have a bunch of other bikes around. I think the breather they are referring to is the one-way valve commonly found on dirt bike gas tanks. You can find them in any of the major off-road catalogs. Your question brings to mind another I haven't seen answered in the myriad of archived threads I looked at. That is, how many people remove the cannisters and SAS on a brand new bike, and how many wait until the system is giving them trouble? Finally, it would be helpful if there was a sticky that pulled nall these valuable posts together for nOObs like me... searching is great, but it seems that there are always more valuable threads out there that I don't turn up until someone points them out.

Regards,
Wardo
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
kitjv OP
"Old Guys Rule"!

Good point, Wardo.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
One point worth noting is KTM appears to acknowledge that removing the SAS is OK since they are now offering blank cylinder plates in the hardparts catalog.

Oregon is starting to implement emissions checks, having to reinstall it all because of bureaucratic policy would chafe me. I haven't noticed any real side effects from having the system in place, decel popping is minimal on my bike so???

Sanitizing the clutter and reducing a little weight would be my motivation at this point. My '69 Camaro's engine compartment is sanitary which is nice.
ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
kitjv OP
"Old Guys Rule"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemeris
Sanitizing the clutter and reducing a little weight would be my motivation at this point. My '69 Camaro's engine compartment is sanitary which is nice.
Agreed. One of the endearing characteristics of my old 1973 CZ 250 MX is its primal simplicity.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:26 AM   #9
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Mate, if you want the easiest way to do that SAS - then just cap the end of the two SAS port tubes that come a T on the right hand side of the starter motor area. Getting the left hand SAS blanking plate on, is pure cake. The right hand is considerably harder. Capping the pipe/tube that joins the T is your ultimate easy fix, with same results.

Oh, I found it quite simple to remove the EPC stuff, if you have that. That creates a lot of space IMO.