User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Echo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Daytrip destination: Massacre Peak, NM

I live in southern New Mexico and am lucky to have about a gazillion miles of dirt roads and trails to explore here. I recently rode the area around Massacre Peak. There are two Massacre Peaks in NM and the one I visited is located (N32.3834, W107.2658) about 30 miles ENE of Deming, NM. From my home in Las Cruces, I rode about 115mi roundtrip with about 80 miles of that offroad. This is an isolated area with lots of solitude - I didn't see another soul the whole time I was offroad.

I'm on the historic Butterfield Trail here and I believe these are the remains of a Butterfield Overland Mail Co Waystation. The Butterfield Trail ran/runs from St Louis to San Francisco (2800 miles) and was used to transport mail and passengers via stagecoach from 1858-1861. It took about 21-25 days to complete the trip. I'm wondering if anyone has ridden the whole trail. If not, why not be the first and do it in less than 21 days - you'll be famous!

Here is a look ahead at the trail. In the distance on the right you can barely see the trail traverses (right) up the next hill. It was rocky and rutted in a few places but only a 10% grade max, so it's easy to ride. I wonder how easy it was for a fully loaded stagecoach to get up that hill with only 6 horsepower!

Massacre Peak. Looks more like a tabletop or plateau to me. Apparently it was named after a group (27, I was told) of settlers heading west were killed by Apache Indians. Great view in all directions probably why the Apache used it. The Butterfield Trail passes on the north side of Massacre Peak. Take a look at the road - some of the best roads I've ridden in a while. Mainly hardpack with an occasional sandy or rutted section.

This is the Weldon Burris Homestead. No one lives there now and it's in pretty good condition with a few broken windows. Ride your ironhorse up to the hitchin post and have lunch. You did bring lunch didn't you?

Here is the view from the homestead front yard. Massacre Peak in the background. The aeromotor windmill works well and the stock tank was nearly full. There is livestock in the area.

Last pic of a petroglyph. Sorry for the shadow it was getting late in the day. Don't know what the "Discovery Of Deming" inscription is other than I don't like it. This area is full of petroglyphs and other artifacts from the Apache.

Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
LawnDart
Oh Really??

Oddometer: 155
Great pics
Every couple of years I get the chance to go down and work out of Silver City. Awesome area, your pics make me wish I get the opportunity this year.

Cheers.
LawnDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Apparently, this trail crosses Texas. A google search didn't turn up anything on dualsports or dirtbikes. I'm guessing this crosses private land in Texas
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,096
Great report Put NM on my list of places to visit.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
motoxusa
Biker Dude

Oddometer: 254
Nm

Great pics.....if only the rocks could talk. It had to be rough to survive in places like that a couple of hundred years ago. I'd love to expllore the area. Thanks for sharing!
2004 DRZ400S
motoxusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
[Red]
Intentionally Left

Oddometer: 480
Cool pics, it would be amazing to be able to go there, you're a lucky bloke!

http://scrapheapadventureride.com.au
[Red] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Echo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More Butterfield Trail info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
Apparently, this trail crosses Texas. A google search didn't turn up anything on dualsports or dirtbikes. I'm guessing this crosses private land in Texas
Yeah, I think you're right about the trail in Texas being on parts of private land. But some of it was probably used for railroad bed or paved too.

Here are couple of links for more info on the Butterfield Trail. The first has a course dated map. The second is about a guy who biked the trail across Texas. I haven't read the whole thing but I did notice he listed all 43 of the Waystations across Texas.

http://www.southernnewmexico.com/Art...erlandMai.html

http://www.peterbshannon.com/butterfieldride.html
Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #8
scooterhose
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 8,802
Very nice report Echo1...Love exploring old buiding/sites ect.

Thats what Adventure touring is all about!!
Wife and I will be in the Alomogordo area for a time Starting in probably march. We've posted a couple of ride reports from around the Lincoln national forrest area. Here a link to one of them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91592

If you want to go for a ride around that time let us know, You can show us around. We would enjoy that.
scooterhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 AM   #9
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,902
Very enjoyable report Echo1. New Mexico has shown scooterhose and I some good times already, and we can't wait to get back there for further exploration!

I'm hoping to see some of those petroglyphs up close.

K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,955
Good job, Echo1. Check in here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115452 Attendance is mandatory and you can meet us in Hillsboro, if you want. PM Barko1 if you want a riding buddy. That is all.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
Echo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To all - thanks for the nice comments.

scooterhose & klrno2 - nice trip report. I spend time in the beautiful Sacramento mtns in the summer. When the snow is good I'll xc ski there too. My favorite trail is the Rim Trail (T105). Sure, on your next visit to Alamogordo, PM me and if my work schedule cooperates with yours we can go for a ride and maybe I'll learn ya a thing or two about the area. If not I can at least point you in the right direction. I'm pretty sure the petroglyphs will be waiting for you!

Eurobiker - Thanks for the "orders". As a token of my appreciation, I think I'll leave you a "present" on your thread!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 6,117
Great report, i love the history of the places we ride!

Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Juice Box
Got Ink?

Oddometer: 2,886
Awesome pics............nice report

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com
Juice Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 610
I found this thead in a search for detailed maps of the Buttherfield Trail in Texas. I'm considering riding parts (aka most) of the trail here; from the OK border to south of Colorado River and writing a story in celebration of its 150th anniversary. If I had more time I'd ride it all the way to El Paso, but I don't have the time. Maybe I'll do the remainder of it another time; there are two routes that split at the Pecos River, so I'd need to cover both. (well, not 'need' to but want to ).

If anyone has ridden the route in Texas, especially non-paved sections, I'd sure appreciate the locations. Please contact me.

Thanks for posting your travelouge. I'd sure like to extend the southern trail into New Mexico after seeing this.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote