Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Love2ridemontesas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama's Tigre
Had one of these in the 70's. Lots of fun, and you could weelee it all the way to work!
I know right I just love the way the engine and gears are tuned its an amazing machine, I love em but I dont have one... yet. I am actuallt building an RT1 witha a 350-360cc engine with a custom frame just for trials, recently I got the engine together with a friend this bike is gonna be a lot of fun. So with this montesa of yours to you ever take er on sections?
Love2ridemontesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,966
The Royal Enfield Bullet. There is a complete kit available for these to convert them to trials configuration. The original bullets were serious triallers back in the day.

Here is the bike with the kit installed. You can find out more at www.enfieldmotorcycles.com

jeep44 screwed with this post 07-18-2008 at 06:41 PM
jeep44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #18
BigBeta
Slowrider

Oddometer: 32
Just bought a TYS175 LongRide

OK, so this thread is probably dead now...but I've had a Scorpa air cooled TYS175LR for a few weeks /150km now and quite like it. As mentioned in earlier posts the chassis parts aren't as good as the Racing versions but are probably adequate for most folk. Will cruise at 45mph and is dead easy up local tracks that can be heavy work on a 350 dual sport. Peg position is Waaay back and that is odd on the street but very helpful as the gradient increases.

Range is reported to be 150km and I can believe it. Engine is TTR125 with a big (Ha!) bore kit

BTW, I'm starting to build up a resourse on:

http://longride.motoani.co.uk

Adrian
BigBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #19
scotty13
RiverRatRider

Oddometer: 25
get a honda reflex! streeet legal!
scotty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
GIJoeBob
Foolish and Inexperienced

Derbi DH2.0
http://www.derbi.com/int/index.php?o...=148&Itemid=83

88 pounds
100cc 4 stroke
clutchless transmission
GIJoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoeBob
Derbi DH2.0
http://www.derbi.com/int/index.php?o...=148&Itemid=83

88 pounds
100cc 4 stroke
clutchless transmission
Grr, I'd want a clutch, besides that's entirely bicycle.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,974
This is late to the party, but for anyone who might be considering a trials bike because they ride difficult trails and figure a trials bike has to be the ultimate, please consider:

The purpose of a trials bike is not merely to conquer difficult obstacles and terrain -- it's to conquer difficult obstacles and terrain without putting your feet down. The footpegs are located very high and very rearward, and the area where the seat belongs is very low. If you practice enough, and develop your balance, you can make those things work in your favor. But what happened to me is I would be climbing some ridiculous steep loose trail and lose my balance. When I lost my balance, if I fell back a few inches the front wheel would come off the ground, if I fell forward a few inches the rear wheel would spin, and if I tipped to either side I either sit down or put my foot down, and I'd be dead. It's almost impossible to sit down on a trials bike and paddle through a rough spot.

I hate to admit it, but on the most difficult trail I ever rode on multiple motorcycles, an XL350 was much easier to get up the hill than my TL250. On the XL350 I could just sit down, paddle along, roll the throttle on and off and keep climbing.

If you want to show off and do impossible stunts, a trials bike is pretty neat. Just remember that buying a unicycle isn't the same as riding one. If all you want is the easiest means of negotiating difficult terrain most people would find it much easier on a TW200 than a trials bike.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,363
A lot of bikes have been suggested here as "options" but the main problem with modern trials bikes is that they have become specialized stunt riding machines, far more capable at trials but less versatile then previous generation bikes that had seats, comfort and a fuel range. There are a few trials-based trail bikes that work pretty good but most modern 250-450 enduros/trail bikes are pretty hard to beat and offer far more versatility for all around riding.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
BigBeta
Slowrider

But a good practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
The purpose of a trials bike is not merely to conquer difficult obstacles and terrain -- it's to conquer difficult obstacles and terrain without putting your feet down.
Exactly, I enter some long distance trials on my trail/dual sport machine and you get penalised for 'dabs'. I'm hoping that:

1. the TYS will give me a base to practice on - it's easier to catch your balance on a lighter machine
2. it might be 'big' enough to actually do some of the events on
3. it might be small enough to do some proper observed trials and thus help number 1. above

OK, the second option might not be fully in the spirit of the rules, but I don't have the skill to do as others do, and compete on an Africa Twin.

Also, around here, noise and 'big' bikes attract attention and even if you're riding somewhere legal it does nothing for the cause of trail riding.
BigBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #25
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439

i picked up a complete, running bike, a mostly complete parts bike, and the longer seat. the short seat snaps off tna the long seat goes back almost to the top of the fender.

'85, 240cc, 2-smoke

i even have the factory headlight, and the controlls have a turn switch built in.. just need to mount the tail light/plate mount and wire some blinkers to make it street legal. has a horn hidden under the tank. need to get the speedo cable fixed, but it's a funky size.

need fork seals and the shock rebuilt.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." – Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." – Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,373
I have to agree with the 250 enduro being a really good all around bike.

One thing to think of when looking at Vintage. Is that those bikes tend to want you to fully engage the clutch and work the throttle. A more modern bike will want you to set the throttle and work the clutch. I like that better.

I've seen guys mount seats on full blown trials bikes. They have plated them too. I would need to PM you to explain that.

Trials bikes typically run 6 to 8 psi in the rear tire. On the road they are not stable. The tire will run out on the side wall on one side then change over to the other. So you will need to air up or air down. Or get harder tires.

I owned a GasGas 300. I liked that motor way better than many of the 250 4-stroke trials bikes. Mainly because I am a bigger person. The 300 had good power and was very linear. The 250s were doggie everywhere.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
This is late to the party, but for anyone who might be considering a trials bike because they ride difficult trails and figure a trials bike has to be the ultimate, please consider:

The purpose of a trials bike is not merely to conquer difficult obstacles and terrain -- it's to conquer difficult obstacles and terrain without putting your feet down. The footpegs are located very high and very rearward, and the area where the seat belongs is very low. If you practice enough, and develop your balance, you can make those things work in your favor. But what happened to me is I would be climbing some ridiculous steep loose trail and lose my balance. When I lost my balance, if I fell back a few inches the front wheel would come off the ground, if I fell forward a few inches the rear wheel would spin, and if I tipped to either side I either sit down or put my foot down, and I'd be dead. It's almost impossible to sit down on a trials bike and paddle through a rough spot.

I hate to admit it, but on the most difficult trail I ever rode on multiple motorcycles, an XL350 was much easier to get up the hill than my TL250. On the XL350 I could just sit down, paddle along, roll the throttle on and off and keep climbing.

If you want to show off and do impossible stunts, a trials bike is pretty neat. Just remember that buying a unicycle isn't the same as riding one. If all you want is the easiest means of negotiating difficult terrain most people would find it much easier on a TW200 than a trials bike.
Not to mention the .7 gallon tank and dinky radiator
Fun...Hell yeah but not really a trail bike

Maybe mount a trials tire on a 250 with a heavier flywheel. That would be pretty fun, say, in Moab.

FWIW I'd love to have a Pampera.

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #28
cueman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hey Guys, I happen to have a 1974 Montesa 247 Trials bike in very good shape and has the factory lighting kit included for $1,700. Like new sticky tires and all, ready to ride. OHIO area
cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,974
Dirt Rider has an online review of the Scorpa T Ride 250F. Click to see images.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dir...ike/index.html
Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #30
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9balljoe
What would be a good choice of a trials bike, that also had some sort of a seat. Want something great torque and fun...but need some seat time.

Any ideas??
Fantic Coach, Big seat, big tank, great engine with lots of torque, can be very very easily switched to regular trials seat and tank. If they have been kept up will run forever.

Or the new Tride thing. that is cool too, but $$$

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote