User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Manny Carp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
KTM 640 Riders please talk me down!

I put a big deposit on a 2006 640 and the more I read on line, the more I panic that I made the wrong choice. A number of dual sport sites gave me the impression the KTM 640 is an off road only bike, and is not that comfortable for touring.I fell in love with the 640 at the bike show because it looked like it had more adventure in it than the bigger bikes, but now I'm worried that I might be sacrificing too much pavement performance... not to mention I talked a first time motorcycle owner buddy of mine into putting money down on one the same day I did...

Help!
Manny Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
The only thing you will be sacrificing is the money in your wallet as you find yourself filling the tank over and over and over again.....I mean this in a good way. I think if your sole intention is to ride around the world on Pavement then maybe this is the wrong bike for you. I have the 950 and it works great on the pavement and great on all but the toughest trails and deep sand. I can only imagine the 640 will be just as good. Road Runner magazine is covering a husband/wife?? Team that are traveling around the world on the 640's.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
You won't know whether the touring pavement performance is acceptable to you or not without trying it over a period of days. If the money for a new one is not a hardship, give it a whirl. It's a great bike and the things that hurt it on pavement are very individual, chiefly the vibration. I do think it is a good touring bike only if the dirt roads are the focus - if you want something that is mainly for pavement exploration that can do the occasional dirt, there are better (and cheaper) choices.

As the first bike ownership experience for a new rider? I gotta question your judgment on this. KTM's don't suffer newbies very well to being with, and a rider's first bike should be relatively cheap, easy to sell, easy to ride, easy to maintain - in short, generic and disposable. A new KTM 640 is none of the above.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Airhead
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
I love my 640...and I have an enduro, not an Adv. I put about 4,000 miles on mine last year, probably 50/50 dirt/road. I feel that the bike is both comfortable and fun on the road...although everyone's perceptions of comfort are different. I don't find the vibes to be too bad, and, as long as you don't expect to go more than 70mph on the road, the buffeting, etc don't bother me either. The saddle is a bit rough on the be-hind...but that can be fixed pretty easily.
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,426
it all comes down to how you define 'adventure'

the 640 has more adventure in it if you're adventure begins off-road.

the 950 has more adventure if your idea involves riding all the way to Baja before your adventure begins.

you can pretty much do the same things on both bikes. it's just where you're willing to give something up (all bikes are a compromise somewhere).
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,165
Hey Manny

I always ask the same thing; what are ya plan'n on do'n with the bike? The answer to that will help tell ya if ya picked the wrong bike or not.

Along with that answer you factor in how much are ya will'n to give up for a good dirt bike.

For a thumper it really is the best out there at get'n ya to dirt and then still be'n very good in the dirt. It requires no changes out of the box to be good in the dirt; almost no other single can make that claim. Every twin out there is better than the 640 on the street and worse in the dirt.

Until you spend time on one you won't really know if it is a good enough street or dirt bike for your needs.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
canpile
Trail User

Oddometer: 638
I bought mine used w/2500 miles, now at 11,500 miles no problems, except a couple minor oil leaks. I can easily ride 250+ miles on road in a day, and it's only an lc4 w/out that nice little fairing/windsceen thing! If you don't like it, I'd be willing to trade........
canpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 487
Re: New 06 640...

IMO its the best choice for having fun (dirt biased) and capable of the paved stuff as well. Amazing motor, great ergonomics, reliable etc...Several things you can do for vibes. Check this site. The best hands down improvement and the best money spent for anything will be a seat from Bojangles (James). This single addition transforms the bike into an all day ride!!!! As for your buddy, if this is a first bike with no riding experience (dirt or street) I might have him look elsewhere.
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
KTMlvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My 950 is a wicked wicked machine where I can go really fast. But I can't go off road like a 640 can. There is no way in hell I can lift a 500lb (ish) 950 sunk down to the frame in muck so bad that sucks the rear wheel down each time I try to lever it out. SO, if you want to go on single track (ish) and trails and roads ur best off with the 640. I think Im gonna order a warn winch.. lol

Cheers
1991 ZX7
1992 WR 200
1983 GS 1100ESD
1983 KDX 250
1982 YZ 125
1981 GS 550 E
1975 Can-Am 175 MX
1970 SL 100

yes, I'm old
KTMlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Will
Carpe Moto.

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Carp
I'm worried that I might be sacrificing too much pavement performance...

Help!
Relax Manny. I put 9000 miles on my '02 640 and enjoyed it so much I traded an 1150 GS for a new '05 640. The picture below was taken in Texas last December as I was on my way home, a 4300 mile, 3 week tour of the southern states. I wish I could say it was all off-road but it wasn't. The bike is fine up to about 75 mph but won't pull hard at those speeds. On 2-lane highways, the bike is right at home. And when the trail gets bad, the bike works great!
(sorry about the oversized picture)

Will is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #11
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Just noticed the the "Ewen" incident...on your tag... If it wasn't you then why do you have a "red honda civic" listed under vehicles owned?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
TheMOABjustBLUXU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Oh Yeah!!!

another opinion but what the hay,
640lc4 adventure 2002 model was one of the only bikes i wish i still had!!!!! the others are as follows 89 trans alp
82 r100rs 76 rd400 daytona, let's see... my sl70 and xr75 and 125 elsinore, oh well ther e were a few i wish i would have kept! but here's the deal imho... buy it! ride it get used to the seat and vibration, and they will almost become unnoticable. i rode mine 1990 miles in 3.5 days mostly curvy roads and would do the ride again tommorrow

You know what i love about that bike and a lot of the rest of these bikes favored on this site? if the seat starts to get to you you can stand up! try staning up for 10 min on a 748 ducati HA!!! aint happening!!! the other thing is i sort of like to ride till the gas pump thingy lites up assuming i haven't had to much diet pepsi or coffee, and this is one that you can do that on. also while your buddies stop for gas you fuel up everyother time.

i got 56 mpg average except at deal's gap i got 8 mpg.

at any rate if all else fails just plan your road riding close to towns with home depot or lowes and if your but get's tired run in the store and buy a piece of 2x4 and sit on it for a few miles and then the seat seems pretty nice!!! now to be fair it looks like they might have improved the seats since 2002

JKE
TheMOABjustBLUXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
After a couple years you may decide you need more of a road machine and may even trade it off for a 950 or something. Then you will come to your senses and realize the 640 Adventurer is the best bike you'll ever own. I have ridden my 2002 DS model for 800 mile weekends and tried to find a 640 to buy before I bought my 950. If they were still available I would have bought another 640, but they are too few and far between.
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
Manny Carp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
KTM 640 Riders please talk me down!

Thanks all for the great feedback... I'm breathing now without the paper bag.

Mototifosi...do you think a "FRIEND OF MINE" can much for a red Honda Civic with a small scratch on the front bumper?
Manny Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
mototifosi
what does this one do?

oh yah shirrrr hey...don't count on it ok hey...