User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Winter! Bikes with block heaters?

Anyone else not dismayed that it's starting to snow? Anyone know of an inline coolant heater that fits 3/4" ID hose? I'll make one if I have to but I'd rather buy one and most that fit ATVs are 1" or larger.

meatshieldchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
jimroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
If you can find one for 1" than I would just adapt it to fit.I had no idea they made them that small! Cool. Er,warm really.
jimroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
On a single cylinder engine a heat lamp will work fine.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

yeah, north of the US border they make block heaters for everything! (except KLRs apparently). How do you use a heat lamp? Aim it at the oil pan? Will it actually put out enough heat at -18C/0F? It starts really nice at -5, but -10 it's just too cold to fire. Turns over fine though. I'm tempted to open up the starting enrichment (choke) jet a bit.

meatshieldchris screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 09:43 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Being from the south (and already tired of the cool weather we've had in the past week), I just have to ask this. If the temp is -10, why are you starting your motorcycle?

To your question though, I have heard putting an electric blanket over an engine during cold spells.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

-10 is not really cold here. January it'll be -30 for a couple of weeks and the wind chill values will totally keep me off the bike then. The -10 to -12 days in November and Febuary/March are welcome relief, and great days to get outside and do something. I don't own a snowmobile, but I do have a KLR with studded tires!

IMO there's no such thing as cold, only inappropriate clothing and inappropriate equipment. Already dealt with the clothing, now I'm working on the bike part of the equation. You ask why, I ask why not.

The electric blanket is a great idea, could place the heat right over the carb. Once it's been running for a minute or so, no extra help is needed.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatshieldchris View Post
yeah, north of the US border they make block heaters for everything! (except KLRs apparently). How do you use a heat lamp? Aim it at the oil pan? Will it actually put out enough heat at -18C/0F? It starts really nice at -5, but -10 it's just too cold to fire. Turns over fine though. I'm tempted to open up the starting enrichment (choke) jet a bit.
one of those single lamp halogen shop lights works well by pointing it at the engine say for 1/2 hour before you fire it. they put out alot of heat. ideally the bottom of the motor is best so you might need to remove your bash plate for the winter. even a regular 100w bulb in a shop light would work. get 2 and lay then on either side of the engine for a bit before you fire. maybe a 3rd next to the carb.

i've seen magnetic style block heater but those won't stick to alum.
maybe there is a clamp on style one you can find and modify it to bolt to the klr. with that 1" style one you should be able to find metal 1" to 7/8" reducers.

if i'm not mistaken colder makes the engine run richer and thus if you richen it more it will flood even worse and not start. i think you need to lean it.

make sure to use an iridium spark plug for the best possible spark.
lucas fuel treatment upper cycle lube is 100% oil based and thus in the gas adds some lubrication quality back to gas that does not exist not. you've got to reduce friction everywhere you can to help w/ a cold start. i assume you use quality synthetic oil in a lighter winter grade?

...and in the end, do you not own a car???
fuck that's cold to ride a bike and there has to be ice everywhere.
at a minimum park it inside or a garage???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,054
Check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...0Heating%20Pad

They might work for you.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
The halogen lights are hot enough. Place under engine as heat goes up. No need to remove a skid-plate. Cold air is denser so engines go lean , hence enricheners for cold starting. You can compare the output of those heating pads directly watt for watt with a lightbulb.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

yeah, fuel also vapourizes less in cold weather, so you need more of it to have a sufficient vapour to fire. I have a car, but I love riding so much I don't want to give it up!

The stick-on heaters are a great idea, can apply the heat exactly where I want it.

Morning commute:

Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Well I found a big chunk of aluminum in my cut-offs pile and remembered I had an old engine out in the yard that had a working block heater in it. This is what I came up with. Just gotta make one more spout and a cover. Should be able to tuck it between the frame and the lower block coolant exit, and put it between the pump and the thermo-bob bypass T. Why buy something when you can spend 300 more hours and 30 times the cost making it?

http://imgur.com/a/b7EU9
Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatshieldchris View Post
Why buy something when you can spend 300 more hours and 30 times the cost making it?
Like this?

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Chris, I'm curious what you're running for oil now? I'm from the province adjacent to the west, and also ride my KLR the winter through. I just changed to a 5w40 synthetic (15w40 previously), and she easily fires when it's -20 now. Only time I had an issue was a brisk night at -29, but after cranking a good bit she took me home.

Also interested to see what you come up with for a block heater. On other bikes in the past I would just put a small space heater underneath with a big quilt over the bike. Not the most elegant, but would let me start my kicker only RD400 on the coldest of days.

Cheers,

Jason
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

LOL love the starter fluid can label

yeah I need a bunch of cranking to get it to fire enough to run at even -9. I've never been stranded but I feel that it's hard on the starter. I suspect mine was setup from the factory more lean on the low-end than usual or the choke isn't working right. I'm investigating my options there. I'm running a 5w40 Rotella-T6 (synthetic) that's got a JASO-MA spec. It'll crank all day, there doesn't seem to be a problem with turning it over...it's just too cold to fire off the mixture that it's got.

I'm having a hard time determining slack in the choke cable, got any tips?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
meatshieldchris OP
Studly Adventurer

lol and did you recognise my location from the photo or did I write something that tipped you off? I didn't have my location filled in till now.