Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
tonykof OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Putting a fairing on the KTM 690R Enduro - is it worth it?

Fairing on the KTM 690R Enduro - is it worth it? Pro's & Cons
Would you do it again? Is it worth the money? What do you gain? Does it provide any more real wind protection than a windshield? What do you lose?

I'm looking at the cheaper on on KTMtwins..

Thanks for the input - PM's are welcome ;)
Tony

Here is my present setup with my own version of a deflector that some other companys make...(ind. velcro holds it on)
How would an Adventure type fairing compare? Besides look better

KTM 350 XCF

tonykof screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 09:58 AM
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I have asked a similar question here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832366

but nobody feeds me

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,206
Feeding time Frontwheel21. I have the 2012 690 and put on the fairing made specifically for that year. Got it from KTM Twins. I'm 5'10" somewhat short waisted. The wind goes over my head. There is no wind force against the chest. I can look up and the wind does not grab the beak of my helmet significantly. Rode 900+ miles with it recently and it made the bike down right comfortable at 70-85 mph. My XR without a similar windscreen at anything above 60 was miserable. I would declare that little mini fairing one of the best investments you can make in the bike. (No, I do not work for KTM )
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
if you do get the fairing ill be willing to buy the factory ktm windscreen from ya! =)
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
adventurefrance
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi,

This is a nice setup. What deflector exactly is that?

Those from touratech or wunderlich are too low but yours seems to be a little bit higher.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykof View Post
Fairing on the KTM 690R Enduro - is it worth it? Pro's & Cons
Would you do it again? Is it worth the money? What do you gain? Does it provide any more real wind protection than a windshield? What do you lose?

I'm looking at the cheaper on on KTMtwins..

Thanks for the input - PM's are welcome ;)
Tony

Here is my present setup with my own version of a deflector that some other companys make...(ind. velcro holds it on)
How would an Adventure type fairing compare? Besides look better

adventurefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I tried something similar, but it didn't work. Wind put to much pressure (leverage) and it pull "headlight" from fixing point on fender.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
adventurefrance
n00b

Really? This would be a no go for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
I tried something similar, but it didn't work. Wind put to much pressure (leverage) and it pull "headlight" from fixing point on fender.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
It did on mine. It pushed windscreen too far back to be effective (it should stay more upright to keep wind off the chest) . I bought a wind screen with fixing clamps on handlebar and it works much better (problem is a side wind, a bit strange feeling to steer) .
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
tonykof OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
The setup shown actually worked pretty well. I can't tell you where to get one though since I made it myself. I modeled it after one I had seen on here, I thought it was Touratech but if it was they don't carry it anymore. It did push on the windshield a little but certainly not like francs's did, I just put a 1/4" strip of rubber foam between the mask & the speedo. I "think" the key was that there was a big enough gap between the windshield & the deflector and it was offset forward approx 1 1/2" so it let some pressure off. Like I said, it was just industrial Velcro that held it to the windshield...
KTM 350 XCF

tonykof screwed with this post 02-13-2015 at 08:45 AM
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,479
I use the KTM powerparts touring screen same as the OP but with the Touratech clip on screen spoiler (It's made for the BMWF800GS). It works fine - I wouldn't be without. The spoiler sends the air over my head whereas the screen alone put it straight in my eyes - I like to ride with the visor open. I'm 5'10".

I've never had any problems with the headlight being affected, seems like there must have been a problem before hand for this to have happened, to my mind at least.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #11
adventurefrance
n00b

Hi, I saw this post the other day.

Yes, this is an option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
I have the KTM Hard Parts windscreen from KTMTwins, shown above. It's a noticable improvment from the factory setup by taking some pressure off my chest at highway speeds. Helmet is in clear air (6 feet tall, 30" inseam). I ride with either foam earplugs or earbuds and music - both easily quiet the wind noise making day-long rides possible. (Rarely is my iPod volume over half way up.)

I recently added a flip screen from Touratech. It's meant for the F800GS, but the bend in this unit and the bend in the KTM screen is similar, so it latches on and works very well for me. Up to and over 70 mph more weight on my chest is reduced, while my helmet remains in clear air.

Here it is on the 690...

Up to about 45 mph, I can actually ride with my visor up and no sun glasses without my eyes getting too much wind, starting to water, etc. Awesome for slow work or around town in the evening. In fairness, I try to always ride with glasses just for the added protection, but its proof to me the small clip on screen was working. :)

It slips over the top of the windscreen and clamps into place. The lock deactivates the clamp, making it extremely difficult to pull the unit off the windscreen due to the rubber pads gripping the tinted windscreen. You can adjust the angle slightly by adjusting the pads on their bolts. Mine was great from the box.

I was considering the Lynx unit, but on the 2012 models you need to relo the turn signals, which starts to make that swap a more involved proposition, not to mention adding yet more money to the project.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:29 AM   #12
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
I don't understand why you'd add weight to an enduro bike? Take off as much weight as you can... and travel light. If you want to do 900 mile road rides - have you got the right bike?

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 297
I went the rally raid route to make it a better road bike and love it. It's already too heavy as standard, to be a great enduro bike. For knarly single track, it was too much of a compromise for me, but performed fantastic on fire trails, power lines, double track, hard pack and deserts. Add a rally kit, 50/50 tires, BRP rubber sub mount and stearing damper, and you have the perfect mid / long distance DS bike. If you spend a lot of time in terrain that's too difficult, get a 500 exc.