Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Welcome aboard PeteC.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #92
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Yes, thanks for gving us that comaprison, PeteC. This is what DR owners have suspected all along.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #93
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
My long standing association with Suzuki's started when I was a young cacker riding around in the rain on an old TF100 (Ag Bike). From there I graduated to a DR250 when I got my licence at 16 and spent 65,000km's making the most of my new found freedom before trading it on a bigger version.

A 1994 model DR650 saw me through Uni. It was an incredibly comfortable and reliable bike that allowed me to venture further into the desert with the odd trip to the Victorian High country and North Queensland too.

I took a while to come around to the newer model 650's because my old one had served me so well. One ride on the new generation bikes with their improved suspension and lighter weight had me hooked though.

Still using the DR's as my sole form of transport, I went through two before being drawn to a DRZ400. By now I had a ute and a serious girlfirend and the lure of something light and fast to do middle distance dirt trips on was too powerful, I needed a DRZ.

A busted tailbone later, I decided that the dirt tourers were more my style and I experimented with a KTM Adventure and a Honda XR650R before buying a 1000 V-Strom for something totally different. It wasn't to last though, I really liked the V-Strom and would buy a DL650 tomorrow if I had the time to ride two bikes, but the call of the dirt was too strong and I am back on a DRZ (with a vow to take it a bit easier this time ).

What have I learnt from all of this?

1) The DR650 is a fantastic allrounder. When I bought the DRZ it was a toss up between the two but in the end I figured that I would only be doing shorter days in the dirt so the 400 won out. Now that I am back doing pretty solid days of 5-600km in the dirt I think the 650 would have been just as effective, maybe even moreso.

2) The 400 is an amazingly versatile bike too. Many write it off as a tourer but if your preference is for travelling light and exploring the more isolated pockets of the forest, then this bike is hard to beat. Even after owning all of the above, I am still stuck on my 400 and can't think of a reason to trade it (which is rare for an indecissive bugger like me).

3) The V-Strom would be a great compliment to either the DR or the DRZ if you also wanted to tour the far reaches of the country or just go fast on the bitumen. It is capable in the dirt but requires more thought.

So in the end, my pefect shed would probably consist of a DR650 set up for dirt touring, a stripped down 400 and a DL650 with knobbies. My only problem then would be deciding which one to ride (probably the one with the best headlights because it would be dark by the time I made up my mind ).
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #94
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Here are the fruits of my labour in the garage last night. I installed a voltage monitor, load equalizer for the signals and my S06 w/s. I angled it back a lot more, so I'm hoping for better results this time at speed...I'll pass on my results..

EDIT: Burrenrider's DR input was the final straw that pushed over the edge to get the DR. You will notice that I signed up here in Aug '03 and I got my DR in Sept...I cracked pretty quick...

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 02-07-2006 at 04:22 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #95
MotorPsycho Miko
Wanderer

Oddometer: 63
Wicked my 05 DR(again)

I know, I know-I need to get some new pictures. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy................
Custom bash plate(stainless)
custom luggage rack
resprung front and rear
corbin
IMC tank
Attached Images

MotorPsycho Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #96
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
EDIT: Burrenrider's DR input was the final straw that pushed over the edge to get the DR. You will notice that I signed up here in Aug '03 and I got my DR in Sept...I cracked pretty quick...
G'Day Bill,

The DR is looking really good . What do you think if the Corbin seat?

Cheers,

Danny
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #97
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
If I had to pick a winner now, this would be it. I have no idea how it works, but I really like the way the lights look... so I'll just assume they work great? If it's not the trickest, it's at least the coolest looking in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #98
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
If I had to pick a winner now, this would be it. I have no idea how it works, but I really like the way the lights look... so I'll just assume they work great? If it's not the trickest, it's at least the coolest looking in my opinion.
Yep...burrenrider's posts and pics pushed me over the edge when I was deciding on a bike
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #99
Miguel
off road junkie

Oddometer: 590
Thumb

I'm a 9-fiddy guy at heart, but this has to be the frickin coolest thumper I've seen outside of rally racing.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage -
2009 KTM 990 Adventure R

http://www.advancedridertraining.ca/
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #100
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
So in the end................
A beautiful post, as usual.

I appreciate the way you clearly see the project and plan.

Mission oriented....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #101
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
Does anyone now own a KLR that used to own a DR or vice versa? I have a DRZ and would like a 2nd more pavement friendly commuter/DS bike...any thoughts?
I have one of each Will; As we've discussed before I think you would enjoy and put anyone of these bikes to good use, including the DL650.

If a guy only had one bike that needed to do everthing and dirt was important, get the DR, if highway was more important but still wanted to be off-road capable get the KLR.
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #102
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
G'Day Bill,

The DR is looking really good . What do you think if the Corbin seat?

Danny
Hi Danny, The seat is great while riding, but digs in your thighs when your feet are on the ground. I'm very happy with the broad seating surface and you already know I'm thrilled with the bike. I wish I had the cash to do the Staintune and Ohlins that your DR had. I love that pic of your DR climbing the sand dune!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #103
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
I second that! I have that pic saved from about two years ago...That's the baddest DR650 out there!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #104
bitterjoe
killing the fatted calf

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
...in the end, my pefect shed...
wow, looks like the perfect shed already... great bikes burren.
bitterjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:19 AM   #105
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,787
Not art but pretty... methinks
Davorallyfan > Daves bikes and rally page photo
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote