User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,999
What Dualsport, Light, For Tight single track, 60 miles road

I am researching what bike to get. I will hopefully be getting it this spring.

I'll be selling my BMW k75c.

Keeping my KLR650.

I want a bike that will be able to do 60 miles on blacktop.

Be good in tight singletrack, and rough 4 wheel drive roads.

Have somewhat low maintenance.

And I will only be able to afford about $1500 us.

Thinking along the lines of an xt225, or xr250(can the xr be made street legal).

I've been riding for about 30 years. I started out on dirt bikes(yz100 and a kx125). Then road strictly road. I just recently bought th KLR650. I love my KLR but want somethin lighter and more trail oriented.

Thanks for any advice.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Mw650
Bob

Oddometer: 1,854
I cann't help you much on the selection but had to drop a line here. Talk about similarities, I had sold my 92 K75 last year so I could get my 01 KLR650. I do understand what your talking about with the weight issue. I remember someones comment on the 650 being: It soars like and egale and lands like a baby grand piano.

Good luck on finding your next fun ride.
Mw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
Wether an XR250R can be made street legal depends on the state you live in, the history of the particular bike in question and how much work you want to do.

Honda did offer a street legal version of the bike for a while. It was called the XR250L (even 12 year old models frequently sell for more than $1500 but you might get luckly).

Kawasaki makes a KLX250S that's smallish and street legal (but as its a new model, it will blow the budget).

IMO you'd be best off with a dirt bike and a trailer or pick up truck

good luck and have fun
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
EMrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
In that price area, a used dualsport xr250 or xr400 would be the best choice. Great reliability and ease of maintenance. I have an 01 xr250 and it is a super bike. The XR is a much more capable dirtbike than the xt225. Better suspension and stronger motor. The xr250 is not a powerhouse, but it has a 6 speed tranny and can do highway speeds OK. On the trail, it can take you anywhere and do anything your riding ability permits. The xr250 is by far my favorite XR, and I have a lot of time on them all.
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

I would love to have a dirtbike with a trailer and a truck. Do you know where can I get a truck, trailer, and dirtbike for about $1500. I think it should be easy to find, RIGHT? I live in Colorado, which is very leaniant as far as legalizing bikes for street as far as I know. I think you need to have a taillight with a brake switch, a headlight, a speedometer, and a rear view mirror.

Pat Paulsen
Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer
Do you know where can I get a truck, trailer, and dirtbike for about $1500. I think it should be easy to find, RIGHT?
I think that would be as easy to find as a bike that would be both GOOD for tight single track, and 60 miles of highway run. That's the holy grail of dualsporting, and you want to do it for $1500 too! (Yeah you can make a dirt bike street LEGAL but that isn't the same as GOOD for roads.)

Good luck.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
BMWs2Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Yamaha XT350

I suggest a Yamaha XT350. I am lucky to have one of them in my assortment of bikes.
It is a very nice dual sport and only weights about 250 lbs. It is simple, and reliable for all around fun dual sport riding.
The last year they made them was year 2000. You should be able to get a used one in your price range.
BMWs2Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer
I'll be selling my BMW k75c.

Keeping my KLR650.

I want a bike that will be able to do 60 miles on blacktop.

Be good in tight singletrack, and rough 4 wheel drive roads.
well, you told us a lot... a lot more than most. you're keeping the KLR....... hmmmmmmm.

you sold the Beemer........ hmmmmmmm

The shrink in me says you're looking for a sub-KLR, so why not the sub-KLR !!!! the 250. except it is heavy for what it is [IMHO].

the orangemen will flip if they bother to set down their Kool-Aid and read this thread.... many choices there .... "just buy the EXC model with the streetable kit"..... I can just hear 'em now.
DR200.... just don't buy it new. lots of underloved ones out there cheap

old super sherpa

the old honda XR's are heavy for their limited power, stock

CRF450.... lotta maintenance but heckuva bike

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Ironbrewer: An XR250R can easily be made street legal in MI. Other states can be easier, but most aren't. I've done plenty of Hondas like this. Hi/lo headlight, tail light, brake light & lisence plate light. But if you gear it up to do any decent speed (over 55) your ability to crawl over nasty crap goes away. Then go for a 280 kit with 11:1 CR. Get a new enough XR250 to have the rear disc brake. A little heavier, but still WAY lighter than a KLR is an XR400R. I have a 250 a 400, and had a klr650...know all of them well.
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Quote:
The shrink in me says you're looking for a sub-KLR, so why not the sub-KLR !!!! the 250. except it is heavy for what it is [IMHO].
I don't know if a sub-KLR is the right thing, but is on the right track. It just needs to be different. Much more dirt oriented. I just want something capable of getting to trails 60 miles from home. If it isn't exactly comfortable on the road thats ok. It just needs to be able to do 60 or 65 miles an hour for a half hour. The KLR will be for my longer forays from home. If the bike I get isn't a rocket thats OK. It also doesn't need the latest technology. I had a 1983 KX125 in 1883. If the suspension was that good I would be happy. And I know it will be heavier than that, but thats ok too. I'll look into the xr250, xr400, and the xt350. I think the super sherpa isn't quite dirt enough for my needs. I want to have a list of 3 or 4 bikes to start looking for a good deal on.

Thanks for the input

Pat Paulsen
Old 02-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #11
520markb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just to make ZAP22's prediction come true, I have a 520EXC with some DS parts on it (horn, mirror, breaklight switch). 60mph is no problem. It's reasonably light and is a blast on any type of trail. Under 1500 may be a problem if you want a good one. You will do more maintenance that an XR but then again I think you would do more maintenacne on a bicycle than an XR!!!
520markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
cgar380
actual self portrait

Oddometer: 267
pm'ed you with a link for a bike for sale in your area.
cgar380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
I have a KLR 250 with street tires (Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts) and a 17T engine sproket. I use it to commute to work about 3 miles each way, all City driving. The long suspension travel and light weight make it a great city bike. The 68 MPG ain't bad, either.

The 17T sprocket (15T is stock) is perfect for this city-driving purpose, and it's still a good trail bike. 45 - 50MPH is about the highest crusing speed for me, but it will easily do 60. 45MPH comes at about 4,600 RPM, feels like it would cruise there for days on end.

I really don't like to go above roughly 55MPH on this bike. It can be very squirrelly above 50, especially if there's any wind. With knobbies, forget about it. I have no plans to get on Interstate highways on this bike, just too light. Some folks may, but not me. However, it's fine on 45-55 MPH roads for short distances.

Very versatile bike, I think.
vagt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,365
I'm not sugesting you do this, but thought you might find it interesting as you own a K75.

An Aussie guy made a K75 g/s

http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/mc_things.htm

He is a member here too.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote