User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
That TT lever is...

about the same functional length though isn't it? I'm trying to find an extended folding shifter....with my big feet, I'm shifting with the inside of my instep unless I move my foot way back....that's a pain. Has anyone found an extended length shifter?

I've heard that the DR shifters will fit...anyone know if that's true?
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Rabbit_Fighter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
vstroma.com is now selling a folding lever.

I wish they were selling them back when I replaced my first broken one. I broke the replacement within a few 100 miles, and drilled it out with a bolt (not paying $$ for something that I know I will just break).

Maybe I should work on the not falling down bit.
Rabbit_Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
Ironballs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Dr 650 shifter will fit. I cut mine down in lenght (custom fit) then welded it back together.
Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
bowzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRider
about the same functional length though isn't it? I'm trying to find an extended folding shifter....with my big feet, I'm shifting with the inside of my instep unless I move my foot way back....that's a pain. Has anyone found an extended length shifter?

I've heard that the DR shifters will fit...anyone know if that's true?
Yup, it's true. I have the JMS lever for the DR on my DL1000. It's 6" long center to center and bolts right to the splined shaft. I have a 13 foot and it works great. On the 1000 you retain normal shift pattern.
bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,214
http://www.vstroma.com/FldgFootShiftLever.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Fighter
vstroma.com is now selling a folding lever.

I wish they were selling them back when I replaced my first broken one. I broke the replacement within a few 100 miles, and drilled it out with a bolt (not paying $$ for something that I know I will just break).

Maybe I should work on the not falling down bit.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #21
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
If anyone tries this DL650 shift lever, I'd like to hear about it. The company that is selling it seems a little hit/miss on the Strom forums.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #22
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
I just installed the Vstroma shifter and Touratech brake lever on my DL650. The Vstromma shifter is a relative bargin at $39 compared to an OEM shifter from Bike Bandit at $65. The Touratech Lever is $99 compared to $74 for the OEM part from Bike Bandit.

Both aftermarket shifter and brake are made of steel and weigh about twice as much as the OEM shifter and lever. Both appear to be very sturdy.

Shifters compared below. Both OEM and Aftermarket are the same length but look different due to photo perspective. Silver=OEM Black=VSTROMA

Brake Levers compared. Silver=OEM Black=Touratech. They are nearly the same size, but the Touratech has a larger triangular foot pedal.

I've been commuting for a week on the new levers and have no complaints. I have not had a chance to crash test them... yet. I never broke either foot levers, but I broke front brake and clutch levers a couple times. The old levers were put into my tool kit as spares.

I also put ASV short levers on both my front brake and clutch and re-installed my Cycra handguards. Hopefully this will eliminate my broken lever problems.

RandyM screwed with this post 02-06-2009 at 09:25 PM
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
As someone said earlier, the Touratech lever bolts directly to the shifter splines, while the OEM is more ajustable. For me the Touratech was either too high (felt like I was lifting my foot to change up) or too low (difficult getting a boot under it). I sent it back. It WOULD be a better solution if it fits you right, but for my size 11US 46Euro, it just didn't.

Trevor
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #24
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,091
Just ordered a Touratech folding tip shift lever...

I just got tired trying to cross-reference aftermarket levers for spline compliance, length and offset.

Touratech's Canadian Dist. was good enough to accept a return, if I'm not satisfied with it's positioning on my DL1000K4's coarse splines. Their pricing of $65.Cdn was extremely reasonable as well.

My DR650's shift lever tip would have ended up aprox. 1 1/2" further forward than the oem setup, might be the answer for some with large footwear though...

I'm really looking forward to experiencing the 1st to 2nd shift without the oem linkages.
Only preloading the oem shifter and a change to Royal Purple's Max Cycle 10/40 motor oil, ever made any noticeable difference for myself. The "Swiss spacer mod", not for me anyways...

Anyone willing to post a photo of this Touratech shifter mounted on a DL1000 ?...

Good luck with your experiments.

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 03-04-2009 at 09:11 AM
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
rockyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Laugh removing v-strom folding shifter

This may be obvious to some of you and is important for the rest of us.

The threaded bolt connected to the shifter is a bit unusual. each half of it is threaded in a different direction so you must turn the nuts on it in opposite directions to loosen them.

to remove: disconnect the shifter first by removing the circlip using a pair of fine needle nose or circlip pliers then slide the shifter off the spindle. The circlip is a little horseshoe shaped piece of flexible metal with holes in the ends of the horseshoes, it fits into a groove and hold the shifter on the spindle. Next loosen the nuts on the bolt with the knurled washer type thing in the middle of it. Then spin the entire shifter to back it and the bolt out of the bike and then twist the weird bolt out of the shifter.

reassemble in the reverse order.

My apologies if i'm using too much technical jargon for you.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #26
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Save your $$$ if you want better shifting on the 1000.

The small suzuki dirt bike levers bolt right on the shaft and have a folding tip.

An aftermarket one will cost << $20US.

I have one for my 650 - but couldn't live with the reversed shift pattern - it's under the seat as a spare.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #27
rockyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Installing v-strom shift lever

Quick update folks. I installed the vstroma shift lever on my DL650. Got in a quick test ride after posting last night. The shifting was crisp and easy although the shifter seems to be in a different location.