Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #31
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
I generally just push and hold and its starts immediately but, even if you hit it twice rapid fire, nothing happens the first time (because of the delay) so its not like you are roasting the starter like these mechanics that have crotch rockets on their minds think they can.
Ah, I see. So it's just a "double click", holding on the second click to get the big wad o' cranking amps. With the delay I can appreciate that the starter doesn't get any juice on the first click.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #32
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Ah, I see. So it's just a "double click", holding on the second click to get the big wad o' cranking amps. With the delay I can appreciate that the starter doesn't get any juice on the first click.
Exactly
Old 08-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #33
FBOMB
Re-noobed

Oddometer: 8,337
Good info on these Odyssey batteries. I'm thinking of getting one of
these Odyssey batteries for my 01 LC4e.
These batteries are not drycell, as mentioned earlier, but are a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) design. Drycell batteries are what you would
normally find when you purchase "D" cell, "C" cell and 6v lantern batteries.

Some excellent info, on battery design and battery chargers, as well as common myths, (Batteries stored on concrete floors, etc.)
can be found here.

Linky

This guy goes into a detailed explaination, (20 pages long). I stumbled
acrosss his site when I was researching 12vdc batteries for my sump pump backup. He starts out with the basics, that I'm sure you already know.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #34
meat popsicle
Ignostic

BlitzBike,

Can you please post a picture of your installation?

Thanks,
Meaty

Old 09-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #35
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
BlitzBike,

Can you please post a picture of your installation?

Thanks,
Meaty
I don't have a smug mug account so --no can do but, its pretty straight forward. I think I put the highest (tallest) side of the battery in the lowest point of the battery slant (in its pocket).
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #36
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
I don't have a smug mug account so --no can do but, its pretty straight forward. I think I put the highest (tallest) side of the battery in the lowest point of the battery slant (in its pocket).
You can attach pics once again; just scroll down on the reply page below where you type to see the button.

The majority of the battery is the same height as the Yuasa, except for the bit that is like a somewhat thin strip along one side. That must be what you are referring to; with that towards the rear of the bike you could get the bolts into the mounting bracket?

Also, the terminal locations are not on one edge of the battery or the other; they are towards the midline of the battery, unlike the Yuasa which has the terminals along one edge. The negative sneaks underneath the mounting bracket, but the positive, with it's protective cover ends up underneath the fuse box... did this all squish together once you got the mounting bracket tightened down?

BTW, the Odyssey is easier to get into place, because of it's size. And the width leaves more room for the wiring in that area. I hope this works out...

Old 09-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #37
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
You can attach pics once again; just scroll down on the reply page below where you type to see the button.

The majority of the battery is the same height as the Yuasa, except for the bit that is like a somewhat thin strip along one side. That must be what you are referring to; with that towards the rear of the bike you could get the bolts into the mounting bracket?

Also, the terminal locations are not on one edge of the battery or the other; they are towards the midline of the battery, unlike the Yuasa which has the terminals along one edge. The negative sneaks underneath the mounting bracket, but the positive, with it's protective cover ends up underneath the fuse box... did this all squish together once you got the mounting bracket tightened down?

BTW, the Odyssey is easier to get into place, because of it's size. And the width leaves more room for the wiring in that area. I hope this works out...
I can't take pictures as the bike is not currently in my posession but, everything fits fine. I'll be waiting to hear your review as my starter issues have prevented me from getting a good taste of this battery.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #38
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
I can't take pictures as the bike is not currently in my posession but, everything fits fine. I'll be waiting to hear your review as my starter issues have prevented me from getting a good taste of this battery.
Well, it was in there, even if it wasn't buttoned up, so I hooked it up and she started just fine, easily even. Perhaps better than lately. But it would be hard to say conclusively since my problems were intermittent and could be elsewhere.

My Yuasa isn't that old (replacement due to setup "issues") so it is at least working intermittently, which could indicate an issue elsewhere... doG I hope not.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #39
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Gave it a shot Blitzy, and the battery is too tall to get the bolts in the clamping part. If I put the tall part towards the front of the bike, the clamping part could be mounted, but it would not sit flat... so that does not seem good. Plus the positive terminal boot is squished beneath the fuse box.

Alternatively, if I take the rubber boot portion of the battery box out, and put the tallest side rearward it does fit, but that does not seem good either. Although the positive terminal is mostly out from beneath the fuse box, so that is better.

Sure the Odyssey is listed as vibration proof (or resistant) but I think that the rubber boot is a good idea. Is that what you did? Is your battery merely bouncing around in the plastic portion of the battery box?

Anyone else have any feeling about the battery's rubber boot and it's importance?

Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #40
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
While not being a KTM rider, I have just converted a XR600 to electric start.

Many of you northern hemispherians may know this but stock XRs in Austra have no battery and run straight off ignition.

Fitting electric start meant look for a good small sized battery.

I never wanted the fat ass look of the 650L so tried everywhere to find a suitable battery for cranking over a new high comp HRC engined XR628.

Arrived at the Yuasa YTZ5S - a 130 CCA small size battery which I've managed to locate under the seat by lopping off 1 airbox mount and mounting flat on the top of the airbox. Therefore noi intrusion whatsoever in airflow.

Now your 640s probbaly have similiar engine mass to turn over and probably more accessories to run - can you advise whether I really should pursue the Oddessy battery? (I have a super rewound stator pumping 240 watts which is prob nothing compared to what you adventure guys run.

Down here in Australia Yuasa's are viewed as high end batteries - are you guys saying that basically the Yuasas aren't that good?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #41
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
Gave it a shot Blitzy, and the battery is too tall to get the bolts in the clamping part. If I put the tall part towards the front of the bike, the clamping part could be mounted, but it would not sit flat... so that does not seem good. Plus the positive terminal boot is squished beneath the fuse box.

Alternatively, if I take the rubber boot portion of the battery box out, and put the tallest side rearward it does fit, but that does not seem good either. Although the positive terminal is mostly out from beneath the fuse box, so that is better.

Sure the Odyssey is listed as vibration proof (or resistant) but I think that the rubber boot is a good idea. Is that what you did? Is your battery merely bouncing around in the plastic portion of the battery box?

Anyone else have any feeling about the battery's rubber boot and it's importance?

Yes I found the fit wasn't as snug with the clamp but, its still not going anywhere once tightened down. Why would you wanna ditch the rubber boot? Its not taking up any critical space and definitely cushions the battery from rough road vibes.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #42
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Yes I found the fit wasn't as snug with the clamp but, its still not going anywhere once tightened down. Why would you wanna ditch the rubber boot? Its not taking up any critical space and definitely cushions the battery from rough road vibes.
I missed an important point in my post: if I put the tallest portion of the battery to the rear, the positive terminal is on the other side of the bike... I didn't attach it yet. I guess you crossed your positive and negative interconnects to put the tallest portion of the battery rearward?

Anyways, I don't think you are following me, or perhaps we have different models of the Odyssey PC310, or maybe you have a different battery box? But once the Odyssey is in there with the tallest portion aft, the clamp bolt holes don't line up with the mounting points, unless I remove the rubber boot. Yours do?

How about some of my pics for talking points; here they are side by side:

They are the same in depth (that lil' red strip poking up is called "foreshadowing" in the movies):

The Odyssey is narrower in width as shown by the rubber boot (no problem):

And they are the same height:

EXCEPT for a strip along the top, better shown in this pic:

THAT is the part I am talking about that is PROBLEM #1. Is that what you are referring to? Anyways, here are some pics of the Odyssey partially installed with that tall strip facing forward:

I can see the mounting holes but the top assembly is not sitting flush, and has to ride up on that tall part of the battery. Part of that problem is due to the top assembly having a flange that hangs down in the front, perhaps to catch the front of the Yuasa, but it catches on that tall part of the Odyssey. No pic of the flange - it's tiny.

Note how crammed the positive interconnect and its protective boot are:

and the top assembly isn't even bolted down yet... this brings up PROBLEM #2 - the Odyssey's terminals are not along one edge, they are towards the midline, as seen here:

WHY!?! Aren't there standards??? This is why we have standards, so that things are interchangable. And you would think that an up and coming battery would want to "fit in"...

One last shot of the Odyssey connected with the offending stip towards the front; if it were towards the rear, the terminals would be reversed like I mentioned in the beginning of this post:

Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #43
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
Odyssey---------the best

I will never buy an ordinary battery again. These Odysseys are in a class of their own. They don't have a size to fit everything and I had to put it sideways in my KLR------no problem--------3 years and it's still rocking---you can mount them in any position you want---they don't recommend upside down tho. I can tell a difference in the power when hitting the starter.

I'll be puttin' one in my TE610 Husky too!!

The fact that I don't have to worry about acid spillage or corroded terminals is enough right there. Us Adventure riders seem to always get upside down now and then

If you disconnect one terminal--you can let the Odysey sit forever---it won't drop even one volt.

And yes-------if you completely flatten it------it takes a big bump to get it off the bottom. I've read this but haven't had it happen to me.

I've never needed to recharge it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 09-04-2006 at 07:47 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #44
meat popsicle
Ignostic

So I am getting the feeling that the Odyssey is NOT plug n' play for the KTM 640 Adventure... now I have to decide if I want to modify the setup in order for it to fit.

Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #45
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
So I am getting the feeling that the Odyssey is NOT plug n' play for the KTM 640 Adventure... now I have to decide if I want to modify the setup in order for it to fit.

Thoughts?
Sorry you are having problems...I'm going off memory here since I don't have the bike here (at a mehanics place) but, I did not do any re-wiring and had no real issue with the fit. I'm almost certain that I put the tall portion in the forward position as shown in your photo. I just recall that the fit of the stuff on top was not as nice as with the Yuasa but that it alll bolted down enough to be immobilized.

BlitzBike screwed with this post 09-04-2006 at 10:55 AM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote