Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #46
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
Sorry you are having problems...I'm going off memory here since I don't have the bike here (at a mehanics place) but, I did not do any re-wiring and had no real issue with the fit. I'm almost certain that I put the tall portion in the forward position as shown in your photo. I just recall that the fit of the stuff on top was not as nice as with the Yuasa but that it alll bolted down enough to be immobilized.
So when you bolted down the top assembly it was riding up in the front on the tall part of the battery as well as the flange which hangs down from the top assembly? Or did you trim the flange off? And did you simply squish the positive interconnect's boot underneath the fuse box? Questions for when you have your bike back...

And the top assembly does not contact the seat pan? It is pretty tight in there. I guess that it probably would.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #47
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,456
So MP where did you find the battery? No I didn't look in the Blipping index .
I got a Wesco a while back from Road Rider, it fit fine. I also have an Odyssey in my BMW and it too required a bit of manipulation of the cables to fit. But like everyone has said it works great! Good luck.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #48
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
So when you bolted down the top assembly it was riding up in the front on the tall part of the battery as well as the flange which hangs down from the top assembly? Or did you trim the flange off? And did you simply squish the positive interconnect's boot underneath the fuse box? Questions for when you have your bike back...

And the top assembly does not contact the seat pan? It is pretty tight in there. I guess that it probably would.
I know I didn't modify anything so no, I didn't trim the flange.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #49
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20pumper
So MP where did you find the battery? No I didn't look in the Blipping index .
I got a Wesco a while back from Road Rider, it fit fine. I also have an Odyssey in my BMW and it too required a bit of manipulation of the cables to fit. But like everyone has said it works great! Good luck.
Heya Bob!

The fella is closer to you - Gilroy actually. He is Yawan Smith of Kodiak Industries (http://www.kodiakinc.com/ - under development). He is a damn nice fella! He does service calls in San Jose, and dropped the battery off at my house on his way home last week... Then he chatted with me for a bit. I hope his customer service ethic pays off, 'cause we need more folks like him running businesses.

BTW, his price on the PC310 was competetive with internet pricing , and there was no shipping of course. I will post more about him later, but he specializes in mobile power solutions for all types of HD industries (heavy duty, not Harleys... ). He is the only Odyssey battery outlet in Northern Cali.

The Westco is plug N' play - no idea why Odyssey made the PC310 so weird...

Old 09-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #50
meat popsicle
Ignostic

I am trying to figure out if I can mount the Odyssey battery, with a minimum of modifications.

I am thinking to ask Eastern Beaver to make me some terminal relocation wires so I can hook the interconnects up where the Yuasa terminals were. I think it will be nearly impossible to connect to the positive terminal easily due to the fuse box wiring, and the negative terminal of the Odyssey actually contacts the underside of the battery bracket which holds the regulator/rectifier. Should be OK since the negative circuit leads directly there anyhow, but...

That and maybe taking off the clip that hangs off the front of the battery bracket (#21) should help since the Odyssey wasn't designed to utilize this feature like the Yuasa or the WestCo. I can't imagine the battery really needs this clip since it would have to push this assembly up to get out, and the seat is right there. But again

Old 10-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #51
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Heya Bob!
The Westco is plug N' play - no idea why Odyssey made the PC310 so weird...
Thanks for the photos and report "Meat"..........

So Is the Westco battery as good as the Odyssey for fit and quality....I need one for my '98 RXC "that has the original battery installed"

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #52
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
So I am getting the feeling that the Odyssey is NOT plug n' play for the KTM 640 Adventure... now I have to decide if I want to modify the setup in order for it to fit.
Thoughts?
My Yashitty battery won't hold a charge for more than a week or two, so I'm in the market. I went to the Odyssey web site and they say that the PC310 fits 99-02 640 adv, duke, LC4...

So, it looks like low flow heads are the winners! And, everybody know 02's are the best anyway.

Patrick

Curmudgeon screwed with this post 10-13-2006 at 09:05 PM
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #53
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van
Thanks for the photos and report "Meat"..........

So Is the Westco battery as good as the Odyssey for fit and quality....I need one for my '98 RXC "that has the original battery installed"
The few who go for alternative batteries and have tried the WestCo say they like it. I can't say if the WestCo is better or worse than the Odyssey; best to probably say they are about the same, and purportedly better than the Yuasa (i.e. standard) batteries.

I will have to post my installation sometime (going on vacation for a week so not soon), but I need to finalize it. I have the battery in, but I want to clean up the install so that it seems more "hearty" for dual-sport use.

I did trim the battery bracket, but need to put a riser in the regulator/rectifier mount to make it fit better with the odd bit sticking up on the Odyssey. Then I think I can use the battery bracket as my negative return and drop the cable since the Odyssey's negative terminal will contact the battery bracket. NEEDS TO BE TESTED OF COURSE.

Then some work on the positive terminal's relocation wire that I built so it doesn't contact the fuse box (I am concerned about vibration wear/fatigue issues) and really lock in the positive interconnect to it, and... I might be satisfied.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #54
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
My Yashitty battery won't hold a charge for more than a week or two, so I'm in the market. I went to the Odyssey web site and they say that the P310 fits 99-02 640 adv, duke, LC4...

So, it looks like low flow heads are the winners! And, everybody know 02's are the best anyway.

Patrick
2002 KTM 640 Adv battery box: 584.03.002.270
2003 KTM 640 Adv battery box: 584.03.002.370

Given the above, 99-02 can use an Odyssey PC310... Ya Ho!

Patrick

Curmudgeon screwed with this post 10-13-2006 at 09:04 PM
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #55
badfish2
Ditchboy

Oddometer: 12
www.BatteryMart.com

ODY-PC310 Enersys ODYSSEY PC310

117$ after shipping. fits fine in '01, spins up like the spark plug is out.

badfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #56
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
2002 KTM 640 Adv battery box: 584.03.002.270
2003 KTM 640 Adv battery box: 584.03.002.370

Given the above, 99-02 can use an Odyssey P310... Ya Ho!

Patrick
Patrick,

When you have yours apart and are doing the install, please take some pics.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #57
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Quote:
Patrick,
When you have yours apart and are doing the install, please take some pics.
Will do.

Patrick
Old 10-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #58
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
I wanna hear reports about how your bikes start with the Oddysea
PC-310? I'm beginning to lose faith in my current mechanic. I have the Oddysea installed and have thus far replaced the starter and next will be the rectifier to try and cure a sluggish intermittent starting/charging issue.
He does not have faith in the Oddysea but I know its not the battery because I've run FOUR! different batteries through this bike (2 yuasa and 2 Oddysea) without curing the problem. So you guys tell me....Does this PC310 start the bike fine once the installation hassles are overcome?
Could the rectifier coming in contact with the terminal cause problems as well? I suspect something is lacking continuity or grounding somewhere.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #59
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
... So you guys tell me....Does this PC310 start the bike fine once the installation hassles are overcome?

Could the rectifier coming in contact with the terminal cause problems as well? I suspect something is lacking continuity or grounding somewhere.
The PC310 starts my 2003 very well, but I am not sure my installation hassles are over.

If you installed the PC310 with the +/- in the same configuration as the Yuasa was - negative on the port underneath the battery bracket and positive on the starboard underneath the fuse box - then there would not be an immediate problem with those components contacting the terminals.

The negative is simply your return circuit, and it can touch pretty much whatever metal you want it to touch that is part of the return circuit (i.e. grounded to the frame) because the frame IS your return circuit. Note what your negative interconnect is currently connected to...

The positive should only be touching the rubber housing of the fuse box, so it should not be an issue, although I am worried that with time and vibrations it might wear thru the housing and/or damage the fuse box internals.

If you reversed the battery, and the positive is now on the opposite side, and contacting the underside of the battery bracket (perhaps by wearing thru the positive interconnect's rubber boot) then you would have a problem.

But your mechanic should know this stuff, it's basic. Perhaps your mechanic is not adept at electrical work? You should post your complete sorrid tale, including when you did what and when specific issues occurred and what was done to rectify those issues and... perhaps someone will be able to help. I don't know if the Odyssey could cause such issues; for sure an improper installation could.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #60
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
The PC310 starts my 2003 very well, but I am not sure my installation hassles are over.

If you installed the PC310 with the +/- in the same configuration as the Yuasa was - negative on the port underneath the battery bracket and positive on the starboard underneath the fuse box - then there would not be an immediate problem with those components contacting the terminals.

The negative is simply your return circuit, and it can touch pretty much whatever metal you want it to touch that is part of the return circuit (i.e. grounded to the frame) because the frame IS your return circuit. Note what your negative interconnect is currently connected to...

The positive should only be touching the rubber housing of the fuse box, so it should not be an issue, although I am worried that with time and vibrations it might wear thru the housing and/or damage the fuse box internals.

If you reversed the battery, and the positive is now on the opposite side, and contacting the underside of the battery bracket (perhaps by wearing thru the positive interconnect's rubber boot) then you would have a problem.

But your mechanic should know this stuff, it's basic. Perhaps your mechanic is not adept at electrical work? You should post your complete sorrid tale, including when you did what and when specific issues occurred and what was done to rectify those issues and... perhaps someone will be able to help. I don't know if the Odyssey could cause such issues; for sure an improper installation could.

Hey MP are you talking about boats or bikes?? PORT/STARBOARD
Did you get my MT pics? Have a great week off.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote