ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
kv OP
[none]

Oddometer: 5,055
GPS 'Tech Day' in North Georgia?

Click here to show your interest in a GPS 'Tech Day' in North Georgia.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,097
When?

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
kv OP
[none]

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
When?
The Date, the Time and the Location are all Too Be Determined.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
I'd be interested in this. I'm curious as to what the format will be. Combine it with a dualsport ride maybe?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
kv OP
[none]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I'd be interested in this. I'm curious as to what the format will be. Combine it with a dualsport ride maybe?
I'm afraid that a dual sport ride is going to deter some of the folks that have already expressed interest. Maybe 2 seperate rides or something along those lines...

Old 02-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
I would be interested if on a monday or tuesday or before noon any other day... Thanks...
Be well...
Ara
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
kv OP
[none]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
I would be interested if on a monday or tuesday or before noon any other day... Thanks...
Be well...
Ara
No dates or times have been set as of yet but it'll probably be on a weekend. I'm sure they can afford to give you up for an afternoon down there...

Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
I would be interested, but not sure about my schedule.

I do have a question as a possible topic.

How can I configure my Garmin GPSMAP 376C to select gravel or back roads while still using the shortest route on the auto routing feature?

I attempted to adjust the Minor road preference in my Custom Road Preverences, but it ended up creating a route that was not the shortest route. Is there a recommended setting for the Custom Road Preferences to accomplish this task, or is there another setting somewhere in the software?
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
kv OP
[none]

Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
I would be interested, but not sure about my schedule.

I do have a question as a possible topic.

How can I configure my Garmin GPSMAP 376C to select gravel or back roads while still using the shortest route on the auto routing feature?

I attempted to adjust the Minor road preference in my Custom Road Preverences, but it ended up creating a route that was not the shortest route. Is there a recommended setting for the Custom Road Preferences to accomplish this task, or is there another setting somewhere in the software?
That's a great question... We just need someone who knows enough about GPS to both answer it for you and teach this event.

I'd say that you've done everything correctly and that you'll play hell trying to get your unit to route you on dirt/gravel. The autorouting feature uses a number of things to determine the "fastest" route, one of which is probalby speed limits. That said, it probably shows all dirt/gravel roads to be 15 mph and secondary roads limited to 35 or 45 mph. Your best bet may be to create waypoints along specific roads.