User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
640 Adventure Experts, I need your help

I have a 99 adventure with about 12,000 miles on it. Since I got it 4,500 miles I have been changing the oil every 1500, 2000 miles. I have not done the main bearing upgrade. Everytime I change the oil, here is about what I get on my drain plug:

But what is concerning me more are the bigger particle at the base of the screen of the following picture. Any ideas where they may be coming from? Is it serious, or should I keep riding?

Please, tell me it is not too serious I just pay my tuitions and that took care of any extra cash I may have had.

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Without having an analysis of the (possible) metal on the larger of the two drain plugs, there's no way to know what it is.
It may just be junk that fell into the engine from the last oil change, or the last valve lash inspection.

It really can be just about anything from just about anywhere. So unless you want to send the oil and "kibbles and bits" out for analysis, or tear your engine apart on a wild goose chase... I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As it's not too big deal to get to that bearing, you may want to inspect it or just go ahead and replace it. markjenn's guide is the best going for DIY.

Creep

creeper screwed with this post 02-04-2006 at 10:42 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Tough one. These plugs have more metal than mine typically has, but they're not totally out of line. You could be looking at early bearing debris or just normal wear/tear. But, like you, I wonder what the whitish chunks at the bottom of the screen are, not that this has anything to do with the bearing problem.

If you need a little push to get the bearing done, this would be one.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,892
If it were me I would go ahead and replace the bearing as a precaution. Even if the debris turns out to be nothing serious, you've still done a usefull upgrade which could be a factor in engine life down the road.
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
exiledinaus
Get off my land!!!

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
If it were me I would go ahead and replace the bearing as a precaution. Even if the debris turns out to be nothing serious, you've still done a usefull upgrade which could be a factor in engine life down the road.

oooh dear... whats this main bearing upgrade I hear you speak of? My 99 LC4 has just done 8,000 miles and i am thinking its in need of a good overhaul... what else should i be looking at?
exiledinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledinaus
oooh dear... whats this main bearing upgrade I hear you speak of? My 99 LC4 has just done 8,000 miles and i am thinking its in need of a good overhaul... what else should i be looking at?
Hit the link in the first post for the bearing upgrade info.

8K miles is about 20K-30K shy of when you need to be thinkin' about an overhaul. Change the oil, keep the air filter clean and oiled and check the valve lash every now and then... at your rate of about 1300 miles a year, consider an overhaul in 2021.

C
Old 02-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
could be anything. just a little more (barely) than mine with 14k miles. ever cut open the oil filters? I have a few times and very little if anything in them of visible size. thats when I would worry. big chunks would scare me. same on the mag drain plugs. If you can recognize it for something other than metalic dust then it's time to dig in and investigate.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
My 99 LC4 has 32,000 miles on it without issue. I do 2,000 mile oil changes on it. I usually get the little "fur balls" and the occasional "flake material" like you have.

I did the main bearing at 25,000 miles and the old bearing was fine, but I would change yours out when you get the chance. Most bearing failure were guys who work the bikes hard. Its a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on the plugs and only get concerned if you see a large amount of material or big chunks.

I just did the 3,000 mile service on my 3,800 mile 2004 SMC, my big plug had a little more material than what you have there, I'm not to concerned.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on the plugs and only get concerned if you see a large amount of material or big chunks.

Good luck.
Thank you all, for your replies, that is incredible the wealth of Knowledge on this site!
I will be paying very close attention to any suspicious noises and as soon as I can I will update to the roller bearing. Thanks Creeper for posting the link to the bearing replacement thread.

you guys are GREAT

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,349
Good advise all.

In addition to the wonky mainshaft bearing on the pre '03 bikes, you may want to pay attention to your cam bearings also. They can be a source of grenade action on higher mileage LC4 motors. You probably need to reseal your rocker cover anyway, and change the waterpump bearings and seals.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou
Thanks Creeper for posting the link to the bearing replacement thread.
Don’t thank me… I just grabbed the best tranny bearing R&R guide on the interwebnet, which markjenn wrote, out of the best LC4 index on the interwebnet, that Meat Popsicle compiled. Thank them for their efforts.

C
Old 02-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Good advise all.

In addition to the wonky mainshaft bearing on the pre '03 bikes, you may want to pay attention to your cam bearings also. They can be a source of grenade action on higher mileage LC4 motors. You probably need to reseal your rocker cover anyway, and change the waterpump bearings and seals.
Good advice Gaspipe, thanks Meat for the index and Markjenn for posting the method to upgrade the bearing

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
SamH
90S on the bench

Oddometer: 435
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HahahahHAH HAh HAHAAAA Ha Ha HA *ghasp*

Sorry, just struck a cord with me. I'll post a pic of my drain plug from the other day this evening. You'll feel way better.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Don’t thank me… I just grabbed the best tranny bearing R&R guide on the interwebnet, which markjenn wrote, out of the best LC4 index on the interwebnet, that Meat Popsicle compiled. Thank them for their efforts.

C
your modesty is, ahem, 'barfy' as my better-half puts it. gagnaou will almost certainly agree once he peruses the index...

(this is a bookmark)

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
your modesty is, ahem, 'barfy' as my better-half puts it. gagnaou will almost certainly agree once he peruses the index...

(this is a bookmark)
Credit where credit is due Meat.

The effort required to create the "written tools" available to all on this and other forums tends to go unappreciated after a time.
The reader/user more often than not takes the information for granted without a thought as to what it took... the hours of research, organization, images, transcribing a thought process or procedure into an understandable overview... sometimes the design and fabrication of a tool that previously did not exist.
Mark deserves a posted "thank you" every time his bearing guide "saves" someone the cost and trouble of doing the job incorrectly or paying a dealer to split the cases. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing the job themselves.

You deserve a thank you every time someone is able to quickly and easily locate one of those written tools. Many save time and money, learn a new or better way to do things, develop confidence in their abilities and enjoy a better riding experience.
When information "slides off" the front page into the "ADV graveyard", most wouldn't even know where to dig it up, let alone the n00bs that, not only can't find the "shovel" but aren't sure what a shovel looks like.

No one else but you took up the consuming challenge of locating, reviewing the content and organizing information needed to create the Index.
Again, most take it for granted... as if the Index and its contents has existed since the dawn of time.

Information can be a commodity of great value... if it is provided free of charge, for the betterment of others, does that make it any less valuable?

Credit where credit is due.

creeper screwed with this post 02-06-2006 at 03:28 PM Reason: Some gramatical errors that bothered me... and were sure to attract the Spell Check Nazi eventually.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote